Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP IPAQ HW6910 and TomTom 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP IPAQ HW6910 and TomTom 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: HP IPAQ HW6910 and TomTom 5 Reply with quote

Dear All,

I was recently sent a HP IPAQ 6910 from Vodafone. This has TomTom already pre-intsalled. Thinking this was a watered down version, I installed my own TomTom 5 onto the IPAQ. No problems there, went through the normal activation etc.. so far so good. I then activated the onboard GPS which starts automatically as the IPAQ senses GPS software. Seemed to work fine. However, when I went into the GPS properties screen, I could not configure any GPS options.... very strange. The software does not let me see the normal options.

I then proceeded to pair my Emtac BT receiver, switched on TomTom and still no option to change the GPS device.

I then uninstalled TomTOm and to my horror, the orginal pre intallled TomTom was also uninstalled. Vodafone/HP have not provided me with any original TomTom discs (expect my own of course) as the HP untilities disk does not include this software on it.

So, my problems are, 1. why does the ipaq not see the other gps device options and 2., who do i contact about receiving the TomTom software which was preintsalled.

Thanks
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backup before you read on.

I believe that since TomTom is part of the ROM image for that IPAQ if you do a hard reset it should reappear as though yu had not uninstalled it.

Assuming this is the case you will not need a CD version of the software.

The version of TT on the 69xx series Ipaq is 5.3 (yes .3) and is unusual in that respect. You will find that it is a fully fledged version of the software it just has no maps. If you put your maps on a mini-SD card it will find them and activate them if necessary.
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry missed a bit.

TomTom recognises that the 69xx has a built in GPS receiver and automatically chooses to use that. On the 65xx series Ipaqs the only way to differ from this was to install version 5.1 which used to be available from the TT website as this version allowed you to configure an external GPS receiver, however, the GPS unit in both the 65xx and 69xx series Ipaqs is absolutely fine as long as you let it download the assistance files. THe chip is one of the newer Assisted GPS chips similar to that in the TomTom x10 series devices.
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moonraker,

Thanks for your reply. This is the point that really foxed me. If TomTom is part of the Rom image, why then did it allow me to accidently overwrite then delete after uninstall? Is this normal for all pocket pcs?

Also, I have another question, I read somewhere that there is somesort of GPS lag with the 6500 series. Does this also apply to the 6900 series? Presumeably, if this is an assisted GPS chipset, it should have good performance, for first fix, not loosing satellites etc.. is it fair for me to assume this?

Finally I have the option of returning the PDA and getting the SonyEricsson P990 (yes I know that there is no UIQ3 TomTom software for that) I was just trying to contemplate whether I should keep the 6910 and just wait for the P990 software release. In the meantime (don't laugh) I still have my trust 3970 working with TT 5.20 with an Emtac BT GPS receiver...
ianbr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a 6915 with tomtom5.21 installed instead of the 5.3 that it came with as I couldn't find any way of getting the 5.3 version to work with full postcode search (despite moving the zip file around).

The 6915 works extremely well with both versions of tomtom with no lag and very fast satellite acquisition as long as the GPS Assist files are regularly downloaded in accordance with the recommendations. I can also get a lock in the middle of the house which i was never able to do with my previous BT Xtrac v2 receiver on my older Ipaq 1940.
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to hit the edge of my knowledge here but...

if you could not delete/uninstall the software you would not be able to patch or upgrade it. However, the ROM image will reload when you hard reset the system from files squirrelled away (techy term Smile ) in the memory.
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great use of that techy term.......

Also just spoke to HP support and they said the same, just do a hard reset all will be back to normal.

On another note, why do we have upload these GPS assist files? And why so frequently? Is it something to do with the location of the satellites changing or something. If so, I thought sateliites were geo-stationary?

On my Emtac GPS receiver, I have never used any assist files, all I used was TomTom 5.21 and nothing else and there was no GPS lag (that I could think of).... then again what is GPS lag?

Thanks
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got the same response from HP...

The best explanation can be found at http://www.globallocate.com/A-GPS/A-GPS_Frameset.htm as they make the Assisted GPS chips used in the HW65xx and HW69xx.

The reason you did not need to download the files for your Emtac receiver is that it was a traditional GPS that downloaded the information contained within the files from the satellite data stream. The A-GPS systems download the files over a data link and then get the position information from the satellite. In theory this means that they are faster to lock and can work with weaker signals.

Enjoy
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks moonraker. I did the hard reset and all is back to normal .... phew.. :D
niknac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: iPaq 6910 GPS and TomTom6 Reply with quote

I've had similar problems when I loaded TT6 over TT5 on my new Vodafone HP iPaq 6910, with TT not recognising any GPS unit whatsoever, and not even allowing me to select another one.

However, there's an easy registry fix if you have something like Resco Registry. Go to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE,System,CurrentControlSet,GPS Intermediate Driver and change the key IsEnabled from 1 to 0. After that TT will be able to communicate with the internal GPS. Of course, do a backup first, just in case! Also, you might need a soft reset.

Hope this helps!
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaps, another question. If I want to use say my own bluetooth receiver, or dare I say it even a wired one, then how can I get these options appearing? On my 3970 I had this when I went into the configure gps applet in the TomTom software. But on the 6910, TomTom does not show this applet. Very strange.
niknac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you'd want to use an external GPS - the iPaq 6910 inbuilt one seems to be state of the art, and is far better than both my old wired TomTom unit and my Navman sleeve. But, if you're curious read on...

First - backup, and also make a copy of the reg. file before changing it. Next, using Resco Registry or similar, find Hkey Local Machine,control panel,gps settings. The bottom entry should read 'hide'. Highlight 'Hide' and delete it (in Resco, click and hold with stylus, and select delete). Save the changes, and exit.

Second - soft reset your iPaq and go to Settings, System. You should now have a GPS icon. Open it, and set GPS program port to NONE and GPS hardware port to COM1 with baud rate of 57600. Click OK.

This should now allow you to choose which GPS TT uses. It worked on my iPaq 6910, though I've since hard-reset it due to some other software messing things up - and I'm staying with the inbuilt GPS unit now.

Good luck! Let me know how you get on.
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic. Cheers. I will not be able to test this until the weekend as I am away working in Italy at the moment... managed to leave my 6910 at home Sad I am more curious as how this can be done, as you never know if you need to use another receiver if for example the internal GPS receiver becomes fault.

But yes, i agree, the 6910 gps receiver seems state of the art, and very fast at locking on etc.... I think it is better than my Emtac BT which is fast anyway. I can even get a lock well inside my house which previously I could not do. Incredible technology!

cheers
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question, does anyone know if there is somesort of TMC unit available for an IPAQ and TOMTOM or is it only through tomtom traffic that you can pick up this type of information?
Janus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niknac,

I have the same problem on my hw6965. I have loaded TomTom 5 but cannot change the configuration. I got today following reply from TomTom support: We cannot help you with the hw6965, because it is not compatible with TomTom 5. If you have problems with the GPS you must contact HP. Unfortunately, we have no updating for their GPS receivers. The reason is that it is built into the GPS and it is HP software which is in the 65xx and 69xx series.

I will therefore try to follow your advice, however, cannot find the reg. file or Hkey Local Machine, control panel, gps settings using File Explorer. Where are they situated and with what programme can I see them? Do I need the Resco programme to see these files?

regards, Janua

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: