Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Own Nav 5 - What to do about Nav 6?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Own Nav 5 - What to do about Nav 6?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Own Nav 5 - What to do about Nav 6? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm curious...

Nav 6 has been made available to ipaq owners with a discount, and Nav 6 is finally available to buy on TT's website.

As a Palm OS Treo 650 Nav 5 user of 4 months, I've received nothing in my mailbox offering me the promised discounted map (& hence software) upgrade. As I've only owned the product for 4 months, I'm reluctant to give TT £86 more of my hard earned cash. I'm a fan of the product, but think they should be giving me the money to put up with their standards of support (I'm only half joking!).

Are non-ipaq Nav 5 owners taking the plunge and making a new purchase? Or is everyone waiting this one out? Has anyone been advised about impending upgrades? A number have been told by TT's Support (AKA the chocolate teapot) that there will be no discounted upgrade. The website still has the old support statement about a discounted upgrade programme in Q3 2006.

Just curious about what everyone's up to.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waiting....
Tommy3090
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........... and waiting. Confused

Gave up holding my breath 8O
Western Europe map version v895.4453
PGPSW Camera Alert
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just this second received a new newsletter from TomTom - other than 'where do I find my product code in Nav 6' in the FAQ links, there's no mention even of Nav 6 being introduced. That's two newsletters since it was announced, and with the one exception (above), no mention.

It's normally a good idea to make existing customers feel appreciated (they do say subscribe to our newsletter and find out about new products first!) - they also get the benefit of the wisdom of experienced operators providing insightful feedback. Sadly, this is all lost on the home of the chocolate teapot!
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the complete lack of support from TomTom for the various problems associated with TT5, they can stick TT6 up there Ar$£.

In 12 years time when they have ironed out all of the inevitable problems with TT6 I may consider it. Evil or Very Mad

Of course they could offer me it for free............but I still won't take it :P
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
In 12 years time when they have ironed out all of the inevitable problems with TT6 I may consider it.
12 Years ?? - I could understand 12 MONTHS, but just consider driving using a 12 year old map Wink - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=1&Language=1&TT=6df9q4eef5hpurbrjogd8jmap5
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Skids wrote:
In 12 years time when they have ironed out all of the inevitable problems with TT6 I may consider it.
12 Years ?? - I could understand 12 MONTHS, but just consider driving using a 12 year old map Wink - Mike

They will probably be no worse than we already get Laughing
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Here they are

Hi L_P, we know the software is available - that wasn't what my initial post was on about...

Though interestingly, I see that the Product details are no longer allowing me to select my platform brand - which it did last night. Possibly work in progress, or a temprary hitch. Either way, nothing of interest if looking for the promised (or disproven) upgrade discount.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
...temprary hitch...

...or even a temporary one! Laughing
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha!

Something interesting...

Here TT have updated the page that used to talk about an upgrade programme starting at the beginning of Q3. Now it reads:

Quote:
Introducing a new map update program. Soon existing TomTom customers will be able to purchase the latest maps at a discount. Each map package also includes free updates to the TomTom software.

SOON. That's a revision SINCE I was told there would be no upgrade programme by support (see here).

All may not be lost!
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, will the free updates be actual V6 software or just the current V5.21 stuff I wonder.

Having just got an insurance replacement for my 3 month old XDA Exec I don't know if I should get hold of TT support and jump through their hoops for activating a replacement PDA or wait the three months that it will probably take and get a six-monthly code anyway or even get TT6 as I assume that will have a different activation code. Actually, as TT6 is supposed to work with the HOME module on a PC to allow planning at home I may go for that anyway.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pendlemac wrote:
Hmm, will the free updates be actual V6 software or just the current V5.21 stuff I wonder.
I don't think the upgrades - which will be the latest maps (which will require (because of embeded speed limits and the like)- and include for free - Nav 6) are free, they're discounted. Currently the price for UK maps (and Nav 6) is £89-90. Previously TT have said the prices will begin at £69 - so that might be what the discounted price will be. Whether that includes just the UK maps, an SD card, or a DVD with UK Maps, W-Europe maps or not we'll have to see. I've heard elsewhere that this discounted upgrade won't be as generous as the upgrade to Nav 5 (I only bought into TT at Nav 5, so I don't know exactly what was involved).

I have no basis for this, other than a hunch - I expect they're ironing out issues with Home, and will provide the discounted upgrade via download - that way only paid for maps will be upgraded, and TT won't have the cost of mailing packages, DVDs or SD cards - and I wouldn't blame them - that seems a sensible way to do things.
pendlemac wrote:
As TT6 is supposed to work with the HOME module on a PC to allow planning at home I may go for that anyway.
Again I might be wrong, but I think the home planning functionality of Home only functions with a PND connected; I don't think TT will bother to struggle to communicate with the bewildering array of OSs and hardware devices in the PDA & Mobile worlds that Nav 6 supports.

Isn't it possible to advance plan on your PDA in your hand when sat in front of a PC anyway? (Genuine question - I never manage to think far enough ahead to have tried to make use of what I thought was an existing feature of Nav 5!).
MikeM132
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pendlemac wrote:

Having just got an insurance replacement for my 3 month old XDA Exec I don't know if I should get hold of TT support and jump through their hoops for activating a replacement PDA or wait the three months that it will probably take and get a six-monthly code anyway or even get TT6 as I assume that will have a different activation code. Actually, as TT6 is supposed to work with the HOME module on a PC to allow planning at home I may go for that anyway.

I downloaded "home" and it could not see my connected smartphone (Palm Treo 650). Did me no good since I couldn't upload anything via "home", so I removed it from the PC. I do not think "home" works with smartphones.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeM132 wrote:

I downloaded "home" and it could not see my connected smartphone (Palm Treo 650). Did me no good since I couldn't upload anything via "home", so I removed it from the PC. I do not think "home" works with smartphones.

If you read here it tells you how to connect HOME with a Treo 650 running Nav 5.21 (you have to mount the SD card as a volume on the PC - having a hotsync cable connected to the Treo 650 won't do it). In the same thread I reproduce a TT support quote saying that advanced planning isn't available for Nav 5.

Hope it helps you get Home back up and running.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: