Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - XDA II/MDA II/Qtek 2020/I-Mate PPC and BlueTooth GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

XDA II/MDA II/Qtek 2020/I-Mate PPC and BlueTooth GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: XDA II/MDA II/Qtek 2020/I-Mate PPC and BlueTooth GPS Reply with quote

The above Pocket PC is the first to have a Microsoft version of the BlueTooth stack (all the others come with a WidComm BlueTooth stack) and Microsoft in their infinite wisdome chose not to include a Serial Port Profile.

This means that a vanilla XDA II (etc) will be able to see the Bluetooth GPS receiver, but will be unable to connect to its serial port. Pretty pointless for GPS, isn't it?

But there is hope. While Microsoft is working to solve the issue (are they?) there is a workaround to get the serial port profile to life. The workaround basically consists of installing the WidComm stack as well and switching stacks as needed (the WidComm stack seems not to support the headset profile by default. go figure.)

So what you need is someone with a Windows Mobile 2003 device like a newer iPAQ 2210 or 5550, and copy the WidComm stuff from there to the XDA II

A complete instruction can be found here: http://www.xda-developers.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3904

Further down the thread is the english version. Please note that a hard reset is not required - the guy was talking about a soft reset. Basically what you need to do is
- get the zip file
- copy all the files from teh zip into the XDA II's \windows directory
- make the registry changes that are listed in widcomm.reg (manually or with a registry editor)
- move the startup shortcuts around as you please
- do a soft reset and all should work...

Please note this is a temporary fix until Microsoft comes out with an update - pretty soon it is hoped.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
JohnMiller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea

I was told that O2 solved XDA II Bluetooth SPP problem for GPS, source disclosed that the Bluetooth GPS tested is EMTAC CRUX II / BTGPS unit.

Hope they will soon posted the upgrade, somewhere.

Idea
sam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,ve actually e.mailed O2 and the upgrad ROm will be available 1st q of 2004..but what to do till then? I dont have any ipaqs!!! :x 8O
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

you don't need the iPAQ. Please read the instructions at the address above, they also include a download link to the required files.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
JohnMiller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is right to download it, and try it!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XDA developers have been very active and have produced an installer for the average user. You can find it here http://bluetooth.i-networx.de/

kudos to ppcw.net

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just installed ROM version 1.60 on my XDA II (this being available for download from O2).

This new ROM version was supposed to include improvements / fixes to the Bluetooth stack. Suffice to say that it's not there yet. It still won't talk nicely to my BT GPS (BlueI).

OTOH the recommended software at http://bluetooth.i-networx.de/ has installed and worked fine and talks to my BlueI no problem.

Cheers

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
unity1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to drag up su and old thread.

I have just got a new XDA2, a new Fortuna clip-on Bluetooth GPS and TomTom.

When I first bonded the GPS device and set TomTom to Sirf bluetooth on port BluetoothGPS the device worked.

However ever since I just dont get the Sat data even with the clipon indicating it has a lock and current Bluetooth connection. As a further note if I select 'BT on com6' I dont get a Bluetooth connection (blue led).

After following this thread I decided it could be down to this dynamic port problem described. I have now downloaded and installed the software from http://www.bluetooth.jazztel.es/ after a hard reset to ensure no other problems (the device was new anyway). I set the GPS device to com7: which does appear in TomTom but when selected I still dont get any sat data despite now getting the tell tale blue led flashing.

I have tried setting the device to all of the options in turn including NMEA 0183v2 38400 (suggested as a fall back for this device) without any joy.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem can be.

Oh and I have tried to test the GPS device using autoroute from the laptop but that only supports 4800 baud which the device does not.
eDsuB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most issues with the MDAII / XDA2 and similar devices (referred to as HTC Himalaya) are solved in the 1.72.00WWE rom which is available since this summer. Both T-Mobile and O2 published their customized versions a few weeks ago.

There are two ways of setting your gps up to work with ie. TomTom.

1. Bond the GPS, create a serial port. In TomTom (or other s/w) select NMEA vxxx 38400 as protocol and COM5 as the port to be used.

2. Bond the GPS, DO NOT create a serial port. In TomTom (don't know for other s/w) select NMEA vxxx 38400 as protocol and 'Bluetooth GPS' as the port to be used.

First option seems to work for all GPS's and software packages. Downside of this is that ie. TomTom hangs your device when there is no Bluetooth Connection.

Second option does not work with certain BT GPS's (ie. the Dconnex DC-230 I have) , advantage is that ie. TomTom also works without Bluetooth connection. Downside is that al lot of s/w (not TomTom) simply needs a COM port to function.

See my post in the DConnex forum for more info.

T-Mobile MDA Vario IV
TTN7 / iGo8
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't test these instructions as I have none of the hardware mentioned, but I've spotted one typo. For 38500 read 38400.

David
eDsuB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, youre utterly right!. I noticed too, but couldnt edit the post.

T-Mobile MDA Vario IV
TTN7 / iGo8
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there's a problem with the forum software which makes it impossible for us to let users edit their own posts. I'll go back and edit the original for you now.

Thanks for the submission - hopefully this will get other people going.

David
top_banana123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can connect my Holux GPSlim236 to my MDA compact II using comm port 6 or 7 (the only ones available for an outgoing port) and see satellites fine when looking at the GPSviewer supplied with the Holux. However Tomtom does not have comm ports 6 or 7 only 0,2,3 and 9. I have tried the cable antenna option to check as suggested elsewhere but still to no avail. Any ideas?
Pete
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

top_banana123 wrote:
I can connect my Holux GPSlim236 to my MDA compact II using comm port 6 or 7 (the only ones available for an outgoing port) and see satellites fine when looking at the GPSviewer supplied with the Holux. However Tomtom does not have comm ports 6 or 7 only 0,2,3 and 9. I have tried the cable antenna option to check as suggested elsewhere but still to no avail. Any ideas?
Pete

Hi, top_banana123
Work through this for the answer. Different model but same applies.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36100

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: