Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux :: M-1000B VS GPSlim 236
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux :: M-1000B VS GPSlim 236

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyeomans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Holux :: M-1000B VS GPSlim 236 Reply with quote

OK, first posting and a query which some of you might know the answer to (at least more than I do..)

I've just got an HTC S710 and I'm fine with the whole Windows Mobile bit but I need a bluetooth GPS receiver to go with it and I'm stuck - do I go for the old faithful GPSlim 236 or should I be investing my cash in a newer (and longer lasting) M-1000B?

Until now I've used my IPaq 6915 with built in GPS and I love it, I wish it wasn't being pushed out the door but the sad fact is that it is.. I looked about a bit and Holux looks like a good name and I can get the M-1000B at a good price (less than £35 shipped from the US) but I can't find anywhere that reviews the M-1000B against the GPSlim 236..

So, I'm after a bluetooth receiver that will work under trees when I'm walking and won't mid being in the top of my rucksack and preferably one that will last all day without being charged/battery swapped (16 hours). It also needs to cope with being used with TomTom on my phone when I'm in the car (obviously it could be plugged in..)

So suggestions welcome please!

(From a slightly confused Newbie!)
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There are so many BT GPSs now that it's as much a choice of size (or colour Smile) and whether you want an on/off switch (not a push-on, auto off type), etc.. Any modern, reputable GPS should now receive signals well under trees, but both the devices you mention (and maybe many others) have potential problems when walking.

The GR236 uses the SiRF3 chipset and will probably give less than 10 hours battery life. In my experience it has problems with the "Goto arrow" when walking with the "Memory Map" software on a PDA/smartphone.

The M1000B uses the MTK chipset which is said to give longer battery life than SiRF, but early versions had severe problems at walking speeds. My source of this information is the excellent GpsPasSion forum.

Bear in mind that for any import over £18 from outside the EEC, you might be charged import duty + VAT, and the Royal Mail will charge you £8 for collecting the duty.

I know nothing about this device (I just happened to follow a link from the Gadget Show webpages), and it's impossible to determine practical performance from the specification (which contains a generous portion of b*ll sh*t), but it might be a safer purchase than say, a direct import, or from eBay.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: