Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Review Comments: Holux GR-240 (GPSlim) BT receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Review Comments: Holux GR-240 (GPSlim) BT receiver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no but the GR-240 is the first device that even the majority of the population finds "cute"

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Ipaq
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my previous post was 'tongue in cheek' Smile

I am desperate to get hold of one of these but most UK stockists don’t have the item or are vastly over priced compared to US prices. I may end up buying one online from the US to import as a ‘gift’ Wink to avoid lining the Chancellors coffers
ingenious
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ipaq wrote:

I am desperate to get hold of one of these but most UK stockists don’t have the item or are vastly over priced compared to US prices. I may end up buying one online from the US to import as a ‘gift’ Wink to avoid lining the Chancellors coffers

I bought mine from the German eBay for 101 EUR. A couple of days later the same ended at 91 EUR Smile
Ipaq
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ingenious,

I don’t touch eBay after I got scammed out of £50 :x eBay nor paypal were interested in the slightest!

Thanks for the info though Wink
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ingenious wrote:
Ipaq wrote:

I bought mine from the German eBay for 101 EUR. A couple of days later the same ended at 91 EUR Smile

I got mine off eBay.co.uk from seller "digichoice" in Hong Kong for £25+£10pp. Took 5 days to arrive.
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW330 wrote:
ingenious wrote:
Ipaq wrote:

I got mine off eBay.co.uk from seller "digichoice" in Hong Kong for £25+£10pp. Took 5 days to arrive.

Oops, sorry folks, mine's a 236, not a 240
toreide
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one now at ebay for 50£ incl p&p to Norway.
Hunterlaar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me is it possible to change the passkey and also is it possible to change the device name when searching for it on BT? Yes/No?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no and no

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Hunterlaar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanx m8.
dotVIBE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question though:

The GPSlim 240 only advantage over the 236 seems to be that it looks "nicer".

Other than that the 236 has longer battery time, and comes with A/C chargers. And its cheaper. I this correct? I'm currently in the market to buy one of these, and want to make sure I get the right one.

So, what do you guys say, form or function Question
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in this particular case - form. It's just too cute.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
dotVIBE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrighty then,

I suppose the 240 would look nice. You might just have convinced me. Now i just have to find someone who ships to South Africa.
ITOG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Problems with 240 Reply with quote

Hello fellow techies,

I have the GPSlim 240 and have been unable to open a com port. (using the GPS viewer app that came w/ product). I installed the device on com 10 using the Toshiba bluetooth manager (using Panasonic Toughbook) I think I installed the drivers successfully but when bluetooth finds the device it sees the Holux but theres still a question mark beside it (does this mean some drivers are missing?) I've removed/reinstalled drivers at least 4 times including downloading drivers instead of using cd. Haven't had a chance to test the device on another notebook w/ bluetooth but this will be my next step. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
nemogps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ingenious wrote:

And most of all, do you recommend buying this particular one?

Thanks!

I bought one because I wanted to use it for geocaching and thought the fact that it is so small would be a significant advantage. I have had it for four days now and I still can't figure out how to turn on WAAS capability. I have searched on the net and found a lot of confusing info. Now that I have had a chance to digest it all, it looks like WAAS is not enabled by default and any program you use with the 240 must specifically know how to use the SiRF binary commands to turn on the WAAS capability. While some other vendors using the SiRF III chips provide NMEA commands to control WAAS, Holux does not.

I am not very happy with that aspect of the unit. I have been using a couple of different programs to test the unit and I am finding that it picks up satellites well, even indoors. But it tends to wander over a fairly large area. In 90 minutes of testing, I found it would roam up to 40 feet (13 meters) from a central point. The program I used allows averaging and that reduced the wander to an 8 foot radius (2.5 meters). I can't help but think that with WAAS turned on it would have much tighter positional errors.

I only seem to get about 6 hours of battery life rather than the 8 it is rated for. I also find that I can't get much range on the bluetooth connection. If I take the unit outside, even right next to the room where the PC is, it can only go about 6 feet before the connection craps out. Of course, that could be the $5 bluetooth adapter I am using on the PC. I will need to test the bluetooth range again with my Palm Zire 72 when I get it in a couple of days.

In general this seems to be a nice unit and it *is* the smallest GPS you will find and not by a small margin! But I am finding support from Holux is nearly non-existent and this can be an issue if your software does not directly support the device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: