Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Review: Inside the TomTom GO 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: Inside the TomTom GO 910
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Review: Inside the TomTom GO 910 Reply with quote

The TomTom GO 910 and its little brothers 510 and 710 have been out for a while now, and had their fair share of shouting at already. So let's have a closer look under the hood of the GO 910, to see what the fuss is all about. Along the way we will also handle a few other topics that are equally interesting for the other GO devices.

Read on for the review

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/insidetomtomgo910.php

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Very interesting.

One question - would you buy a 910 if you already had a GO 700? I'm thinking from a navigation angle here not mp3 players, toys etc.......

Chris
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy neither. I don't like hard disks in mobile devices. My choice would be a 500 or 710

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PatrickEwing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can you be so retarted as to say the Garmin UI is a catastrophe! I've had access to the TT 910 and 700 along with a Nuvi. the nuvi was so simple to input my destination and change any settings, compared to the TT. I admit that the map drawing on the Garmin is like playing Battliefield 2 on a pentium 120, but the UI, I put it to you that it is not a catastophe.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course that is just my personal opinion, but placing a wannabe 3D blue button next to a wannabe 3D purple button IS a catastrophe. There are many people with less than perfect color vision out there, and they do not appreciate this kind of indiscernibility.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickEwing wrote:
how can you be so retarted as to say the Garmin UI is a catastrophe! I've had access to the TT 910 and 700 along with a Nuvi. the nuvi was so simple to input my destination and change any settings, compared to the TT. I admit that the map drawing on the Garmin is like playing Battliefield 2 on a pentium 120, but the UI, I put it to you that it is not a catastophe.

Hi Patrick

and welcome to the fourm!!

I have to disagree the Garmin interface isn't up to scratch and it has a long way to go.

There are loads of really useful reviews on this site I'd take a look if I were you. Lutz has written a fair few of them so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about Wink

Chris
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you just afraid of a hard drive failure on the 700 or 910? I guess I figured the ease of use makes these models more preferable IMO.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it is down to personal preferences. It's not just the possibility of hard drive failure. The hard disks cannot be removed easily, and they consume more power. They are sooo 2005 - the future is Flash. (The Mio C710 has a 2 GB Flash drive !)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
stustaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree but I want a device NOW with plenty of storage! when the future does arrive and Flash memory is a decent size ill get flash then.

Flash is great but at the mo a Hard drive is cheaper and larger capacity.

I believe the maps on the 910 are around 8 gig of memory that would cost a lot in flash memory cards.

for me travelling in europe USA and spain and a hard drive with my music on in one device is much more useful.

Also I have owned portable devices with hard drives in (mp3players and video players) for a while and never had problems, so I feel fairly comfortable with them[/i]
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
yes, it is down to personal preferences. It's not just the possibility of hard drive failure. ....

although we are seeing more and more 700s requiring a new hard drive
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stustaff, if your requirement is for MP3 files along with the map data then the only solution is a hard disk. But it is possible to store the map data on two 2Gb SD cards including the TTS cost £25 each. One would store the US, the other Europe, OK you need to swap the cards but you physically cannot drive door to door from Europe to the US
ahmurray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that car maunufacturers haven't accept the proliferation of in-car gadgets and developed a universal mounting point with power.

I know this might cost them sales of their own fully integrated systems, and suspect it would have crash testing safety implications too, but it would be great to have some sort of universal mounting point to which a bracket could be fitted for your specific model of GPS.

If it were a extra-cost option on new cars, I am sure the added income would offset a few lost sales of full sat nav systems, and the added bonus would be fewer break-ins (less obvious when sat nav device removed) and fewer injuries in collisions from devices flying about in the car.

Anyone know if any manufacturers are moving this way?

Ali
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodit is giving you half of the solution. But devices like the GO are too heavy, they will cause a lot of vibrations when used with any kind of protruded mount.

One lost sale of a in-car solution would have to be offset by the installation of at least 20 such mounts. Not sure the car manufacturers are interested.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used one of these as a blueooth car kit for their phone.
Is is good, bad, etc. I have tried a few 'cheaper end' bluetooth kits that eventually end up in the bin as the sound quality/volume etc is not up to scratch (or scratchy!!)
I am buying a new car next week, and before I fork out on a new hard wired car kit, I was considering buying a 910.
I want phone capability at 70mph on the motorway, not just at 30mph with no backgorund noise.
Any comments appreciated as I have not managed to find anyone with a 910 to ask.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my 910 as a hands free kit for the phone and it works very well, the sound quality is fine but some others have reported the sound quality as poor - this could be the type of phone in use, with an Orange SPVc600 it is fine. I should add I also use the unit with the supplied external microphone, as the inbuilt microphone isn't up to much to be honest (the external mic saves you shouting at the unit)
In use the volume is fine upto the legal speed limit, my only concern if anything is the ability to select the correct phone number using the 910's phone book as it is easy to select the wrong line when prodding the screen, using the remote control does ease this problem though - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: