Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - pixmania - good or not?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

pixmania - good or not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: pixmania - good or not? Reply with quote

Confused Hi people

Just trying to get some vital advice before going ahead and buying a Mio C510, whether or not to buy off pixmania as im going be buying it for 211 quid! which is damm cheap at the moment beating all the other competitors or the other option would be buying it off globalpositionsystems.co.uk but again ive read one or two funny reviews of their service on here too. any ideas?
dodgers30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had no problems when i purchased an item from Pixmania, however i know a couple of people who have had problems only returning items not during the initial ordering process though.
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Cheers for the reply! Yeah this is why im trying to find out what their reputation is like cos i aint heard much of them even though theyre worldwide. The 2 yr warranty is a plus but if i sent the unit back in the 2nd yr it has to go off to France as this is where theyre based (even though im buying thru the UK section? Confused )
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought a camera from them a few years ago. It arrived with a French manual and power adaptor which they didn't tell me about.

The price was right though - a fair bit cheaper than elsewhere. I have heard a lot of complaints about them having rubbish service if anything goes wrong but that's probably the same for anywhere that will sell stuff cheap these days.

If you are making a big saving then go for it. If the saving is marginal then don't.

If the unit only comes with single region maps then make sure you don't get maps of France when you presumably want the UK!

Also, I'm not sure if the Distance Selling Regulations which give you 7 days to return the item for a full refund apply to sales from other EU countries. Anyone know?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and pay by CREDIT CARD. Not debit card or ANY other method.

Paying by credit card gives you additional protection if there should be a dispute arising.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I brought a camera from them a few years ago. It arrived with a French manual and power adaptor which they didn't tell me about.

The price was right though - a fair bit cheaper than elsewhere.

Canon per chance? Same with me, four years ago, though the French manual was disclosed during the phone order. Ordered a CF card at the same time, showing in stock but did not arrive with the camera. Three more days. Personally I would use them again but a lot can change in four years.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

The price was right though - a fair bit cheaper than elsewhere. I have heard a lot of complaints about them having rubbish service if anything goes wrong but that's probably the same for anywhere that will sell stuff cheap these days.

If you are making a big saving then go for it. If the saving is marginal then don't.

If the unit only comes with single region maps then make sure you don't get maps of France when you presumably want the UK!

Also, I'm not sure if the Distance Selling Regulations which give you 7 days to return the item for a full refund apply to sales from other EU countries. Anyone know?

Had the same thing on a Cannon Printer.

I'm buying off them now (no other option) and I've had a couple of problems......

They are cheap but I would get it somewhere else if you can - I just find them hard work. Unless saving a few quid is everything to you.......

Chris
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Canon per chance?

Yep. Downloaded the English manual from Canon so no problems. It was a fair saving on the UK price so the deal was done.

chris_w sums it up really. They will be hard work if anything goes wrong (as will most mail order companies) so you pay your money and you take your chances. If you want good customer service then go to Dixons/Comet/Currys/PC World, if you want a cheap product then buy mail order.

A useful half-way house is Tottenham Court Road in London where you can get stuff at close to the Internet price, especially if you haggle and take a printout of the Internet retailer showing the price and the item in stock.
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm this is what it says on the pixmania website about the mio c510

" Included cards France preloaded, DVD with maps from 24 European countries "

hmm i wonder whether i would get the uk maps though Confused
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anarchyuk wrote:
" Included cards France preloaded, DVD with maps from 24 European countries "

hmm i wonder whether i would get the uk maps though Confused

I would presume that the UK is one of the "24 European countries" and you could erase the card with the France maps on and load the UK ones.
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused hmm debating whether to get this now from globalpositioningsystems or gpsforless as both have for 240 quid, id be saving 30 quid if i went with pixmania although im not sure about whether if something went wrong with the unit in the first year id have to get in touch with mio support (as they state this) and we know what mio's support is like at the moment (according to some posts on this forum)

has anyone had any joy with gpsforless or globalpositioningsystems? im looking to buying this on finance which would be beneficial to me at the moment too as im gonna be buying other things in the meantime Laughing
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me give you some fresh information on the problems you may have with the return of items to these two firms - globalpositioningsystems and Pixmania. I know as I have just returned one item to each.
Globalpositioningsystems - very quick to deliver, operate a 7 day return and very good in giving a returns number and refunding your card. Excellent service.
Pixmania - reasonably quick delivery but the returns process - a nightmare. I returned a Lifedrive to them on the 3rd Jul. It went from me Special Delivery to ParcelForce in Coventry in one day, as you pay for in the service. Pixmania email you when they get it, in France by the way as I found out yesterday, and as of yesterday, my return has still not been received! I was told it can take up to 30 days before they even get it and then it has to be processed before a return is authorised. A shambles. Yesterday the return time was reduced to three weeks after I rang - that is only because I was so unimpressed on the phone.
So globalpositioningsystems - a great firm all round. Pixmania - good until it all goes wrong then a complete nightmare. A letter will be winging its way to France after I have got my money back.
Doug
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a quest 2 from globalpositioningsystems.
Very good service lests you track your order.
I've messed them around trying to get the right motorcycle mount and they have been very good
Id recommend
Des
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixmania lets you track your order to you, which is good, but their website says nothing about returns. Why should I bother to get my parcel to Parcelforce in one day and then it takes up to 29 days to get to France? If I chucked it off of Beachy Head, it could get there quicker by the tide!
Very poor. And I think they know it which is why when I complained about the 30 day wait, she said it normally takes 3 weeks. That's up this Monday. It had better be there by then or I will really go to town on them.
Whether I will use them again is another matter. Price is not everything, contrary to popular belief!
And to rub things in even more, Palm have withdrawn all Lifedrives because of levels of toxics in the product are breaking EU laws.
Doug
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Oh well it doesnt like im gonna get this from Pixmania after all, i mean id only save a petty 20 odd quid againsts globalpositioningsystems anyway so i guess im gonna go with them after all. Plus like you say if it goes tits up its best to get it sent off to there as oppose to spend money on getting it delivered when that in itself is a waste of money cos it can take upto 30 days to arrive back & thats only its working again, jesus thats pretty bad service like!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: