Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What would you like to see implemented in the Memory-Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you like to see implemented in the Memory-Map
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: What would you like to see implemented in the Memory-Map Reply with quote

I was talking to Memory-Map today and during our conversation I made a few suggestions about the enhancements/additions I would like to see in the software.

Memory-Map were very open to suggestions and I was tempted to let them have my full list but I restrained myself and just went for my main points:

1. Better management for waypoints, routes etc. I would really like to see a tree structure like file manager. It would be good to store maps this way as well.

2. The ability to manipulate tracks: splitting, joining, and removing trackpoints.

3. Better display of GPS status: Fix type, Number of Sats etc

What are your top 3 features that you would like to see implemented in the next version of Memory-Map?

If you list them here I will collate them and make your views known to Memory-Map.
mrboring
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto everything you have said really. Management and ordering of routes and tracks essential. I like to keep all my routes and tracks for reference and can't imagine how cluttered its gunna look when I get hundreads, already have about 50.

Plus some interface improvements. When editing waypoints (from the Routes section) and making the Overlay Properties window larger the listbox containing the waypoints stays the same size. Little thing I know but if your editing waypoints in this way it can be irritating to have a large window but only part of it used.

Better exporting. Would like to be able to export a single route.

PDA Nagivator. Total distance covered.
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main frustration I have is the ETA on a walk. It seems extremely erratic, mainly because of the X track errors especially as you get close to a waypoint. I find it swings from arriving in an hour tp to 12 hours as I walk.

I think the algorithm needs to look at average VMG over a longer period.
CheshireCat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ability to choose the point from which the 3D view is taken - click on a spot and you see the view you will see from there. You might want an option to specify the height above ground level but by default it should be "what you see is what you see when you get there" WYSIWYSWYGT!
Me too on all the route management stuff.
JonR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manipulation of tracks is essential, even in text and/or speadsheet formats through flexible export/import functions. Flexibility in re-use/add/removal of waypoints in routes would also give me a significant efficiency gain.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Export of maps Reply with quote

I would like to see the ability to export maps (visible section etc) directly to a card writer rather than through Active Synch.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Map boundaries. Reply with quote

The map boundaries stict very strictly to OS grid references rather than areas that people would be interest in. I would prefer to see the boundaries set by counties or regions.

Region 2 the South East covers London and with only another 2 miles further North, it would include the whole M25.

The region 03 Map of South Wales does not include Cardiff. The Bridgend-Cardiff peninsula would require a further 10 miles South by 30 miles wide on the South Wales map. Cardiff appears on the Region 1 (South West England) map.

Region 8 NE England only overs half of Northumberland. To get the rest of NE England you have to buy South East Scotland Region 10.
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A further suggestion:

The ability to search for a location by lat/long or grid ref, not just place names/features etc.

But better management of the 'properties' is absolutely ESSENTIAL.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Scale Reply with quote

I would like to see a visible scale ruler on the PC screen (not just the grid) and also a simple measuring tool to measure the distance between two points (not just creating a route then measuring the leg).
rh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_de_wet wrote:

The ability to search for a location by lat/long or grid ref, not just place names/features etc.

Unless I don't understand your needs, you can create a Mark at an arbitrary position on the page and then right click and select properties... You can then enter the grid ref or lat/long in the Position box.

SatMap Active 10, Garmin 405, DMC-TZ30 and RouteBuddy, Garmin MAP60CS, Apple iPhone 4 with TomTom & Vauxhall CD 70 Navi.
Bluey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ability to write to a card-reader is a must!

Having the 3D view on the PocketPC would also be nice - out in the field is where you really need it!
TigerMoff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluey wrote:
Ability to write to a card-reader is a must!

Having the 3D view on the PocketPC would also be nice - out in the field is where you really need it!

I dont think the 3D on a pocket PC will be happening for a few years yet. It would be possible in software terms but the hardware is not powerfull enough yet.
TigerMoff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I forgot to say there is a way of sending a visable portion of the map to the card reader. First go to the PDA menu and then select 'send visable map portion to PDA' when the pop-up appears saying the size of the map to be sent (dont click on OK or cancel) go to 'my computer' C:\documents and settings\username\local settings\temp\memory-map\ and then move the .qct file over to the card reader.

N.B. the above directory structure is only for XP users but users with other versions of Windows should get the jist of what I am saying. To make it easier you can have a shortcut on your desktop to take you to folder where the Memory-Map temp files are kept.
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: I would like.. Reply with quote

A more sophisticated method of defining map areas sent to the Pocket PC.

I would like to be able to place a rectangle or 'fenced area' that could be used instead of the arbitrary 'visible portion'. The fence rectangles would be defined using coordinate key-ins and would be saved for future use in the same way a route of track is stored. You would of course be able to name a fenced area and this would be used as the name of the map exported your PDA.
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I should've also said that the 'fenced area' would 'cookie cut' the appropriate part of the elevation file (.qed) so that it was always sent to your PDA with the name determined by the 'fenced area' name. At the moment exporting maps with .qed files on your PDA is very hit and miss and requires too much manual fiddling to get it to work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: