Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom5 running on Medion MD96800 mdpna250
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom5 running on Medion MD96800 mdpna250
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niallf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: TomTom5 running on Medion MD96800 mdpna250 Reply with quote

OK I've finally managed to do this using my copy of TomTom Navigator 5 Upgrade. This is on an MD96800 as bought from ALDI, running the pre-installed Navigon Navigator 5 software.

It's a combination of various previous posts, which I'll attempt to compile into a list here. Don't flame, or blame me if I'm wrong, it's late and I've spent the last 3 hours sorting this out...

Firstly, make the 96800 boot into Windows CE as follows...

1. Create a folder on your local PC \MedionGPS

2. Download the additional files required here:
http://www.gpspassion.com/download/custom150e.zip
and place it in the \MedionGPS folder

3. Unzip the files contained in the custom150e.zip file into the folder \MedionGPS (still on your local PC)

4. Now Connect the MD968000 to your PC via ActiveSync and click 'explore'

5. Copy 'regedit.exe' from the \MedionGPS folder and paste into the devices \Windows\programs folder

6. Copy 'modified.reg' into the 'Medion' folder on the device

7. Copy 'showtaskbar.exe' into the devices \windows\startup folder

8. Soft Reset your device using the stylus (unscrew the end of the stylus to reveal the reset pin!)

When the MD968000 reboots it will automatically launch the taskbar, (but the Medion application is also still running.)

First thing to do is use Start/Settings/ControlPanel/Stylus to re-calibrate the pen (makes the following easier)

9. On the medion now, tap 'start' then 'programs' then 'regedit'
(the registry editor application is now open.

10. Click 'File' then 'Import' This opens a browser window, browse to the 'Medion' folder and double tap on the file we placed there a short while ago called 'modified.reg' Now close the regedit program.

11. Soft Reset your device using the stylus (unscrew the end of the stylus to reveal the reset pin!) You have a start / task bar and no Medion application running.

{{ Nearly there only a few more things to do }}

12. On your PC in the active sync - explore window - Locate Setting.exe in the 'Medion' folder, right-click and select 'Create Shortcut'. Copy the 'Shortcut to Setting.exe' file that is created as a result and paste into \Windows\Desktop. Repeat this process for 'MNAVDECE.exe' also located in the 'Medion' folder and 'MP3Player.exe' located in \Windows

Finally, reset your device once more with the stylus and it will boot to the WinCE desktop with shortcuts to the three applications you had before. If you hold your stylus at the bottom left of the screen on the thin grey bar the WinCE taskbar will appear and you will gain access to the standard WinCE apps.

Almost forget --

After you run the Mapping program then exit the program, the taskbar is gone. There are two things you can do, a soft reset (Taskbar is back) or better than that :-

On your PC in the active sync - explore window - Locate 'showtaskbar.exe' into the \windows\startup folder, right-click and select 'Create Shortcut'. Copy the 'Shortcut to showtaskbar.exe' file that is created as a result and paste into \Windows\Desktop.

Now when you come out of mapping, just click the showtaskbar shortcut.
once again many thanks to MrRee4U & Scott Lewis for the info

NOW TO INSTALL THE TT5 Software...

Download and extract 'pack.dll' and 'packdllxania' and copy all the DLLs to the \Windows directory on the Medion For those who may need the pack dll's Bertie has kindly zipped them on his site at http://www.bertouche.com/hosting/packdllxania.zip

Install TOMTOM 5 for Pocket PC from the TT install disk

Using the ActiveSync Explorer, Delete the file GX.DLL in the MD968000's Windows directory

The TT5 CAB files are in the 96800's \ Windows \ AppMgr \ Install directory

Among these files, two are important: TomTom Navigator.cab and TomTom Voice Jane.cab, the others (bluetooth and today) can be deleted. Using the Explorer, click on TomTom Voice Jane.cab to install. For the TomTom program itself it's a little more complicated because it's necessary to modify the cab file.
To modify the file cab:
- copy the file TomTom Navigator.cab to your PC.
- download and install on your PC the evaluation version of WinCE CAB Manager
- open the file TomTom Navigator.cab with WinCE CAB Manager, select setup.dll in the left panel, use right click, select remove
- save the cab file
- Copy the modified cab file to the original PDA location
- Select using Explorer, as with the Jane file above and TT is installed.
- access from the Start/Programs menu.

Explanation: the setup.dll file present in all the cab files is used to check the hardware compatibility or software of the target platform, the memory capacity available, the list of the ports available, etc. deleting this stops the TT software from thinking that the MD968000 is incompatible.

Also I spent some time trying to get the display to work, trying different versions of gx.dll as described in instructions for other Medion PDAs. In the end, deleting it completely made it all work.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Niall

Last edited by niallf on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done niall thanks for sharing
niallf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dabut,

I'll stick it in the car today, give it a trial run & report back.

Niall
exbootneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: tomtom 5 on medion 96800 Reply with quote

woohooo at last a positive response. as I said in earlier posts I hadn't even opened the cellophane on my Medion. I'm happy to rip into it now and give it a go. Only one tiny teeny problem, I don't have the TT Navigator 5 to install. is it downloadable? can it be bought separately, has any one got it for sale? only three weeks till I go to OZ. thanks NIALLF. I hope the road test works.

Last edited by exbootneck on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
niallf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok spent a few hours with it this driving around this afternoon.

Menues are more stubby finger friendly than the Navigon software, but keyboard entry a little more fiddly.

The RH buttons on the PDA don't map to TT5 at all apart from power, (joystick has some limited function) anyone figure out how to make this happen, I'd be most grateful.

Initially had a screen glitch with about a 5 pixel band between map and info bar area. Turning the taskbar off from Start/settings sorted this out.

Exiting and re-starting TT5 then gave a nice full screen display. Rotate display option in TT5 also works, should you want to re-orientate the PDA for some reason

You need to select the first of the 'other NMEA' GPS recievers (list of 3) to set up the GPS for TomTom, there are some minor graphics glitches on the GPS page too. Nothing to worry unduly about.

Real Time Clock data seems to transfer alright from GPS to TT5, but TT5 doesn't show signal strength from the GPS receiver. Also haven't figured out how to control screen brightness from the PDA, or from within TT5

I've used a 1GB SD card and have the original UK & Outline Europe Navigon software and TT5 all available. Besto of both worlds!

I think the Navigon maps are slightly more up to date than my TT5 maps. Need to try the POI indicator with the Safety Camera Dbase next.

Niall
niallf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I haven't managed to figure out completely is how to hit 'enter' from some menus. e.g. Navigate by Postcode option, enter postcode, but no obvious way to hit GO or Enter. I think pressing the joystick works, but I'm not sure.

Niall
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally when you navigate by postcode enter the full code with no spaces then tap done in bottom r/h corner.it might then ask for house num or just hit anywhere
niallf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, found the problem I'd installed the postcodes on the storage card, rather than the mydocuments folder on the PDA. Now have a DONE button, rather than BACK.

Looks fully working now on the MD96800, can even adjust screen brightness, by exiting TT5 and using the SETTINGS shortcut on the desktop, created in the process to convert to WinCE functionality above.

Niall
Firebird
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im'e so excited, I have wanted to get tt on my 968 for a while now.
I have the full TT Navigator version 5 for Pocket PC
U.K. Europe , USA & Canada

Here go's
exbootneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 5 on medion 96800 Reply with quote

Well Niall I am so chuffed that some one has cracked it. I really loved the look and feel of the 96800 that I didn't want to take it back to Aldi. I was going to keep it in a box till I get back from Oz in three years time. It was going to cost me over £400 to get a Mio 269+ in oz with aussie maps, and it wouldn't work if I brought it home. Hopefully now I'll have the best of both when my CD with TT nav 5 arrives and I follow the idiots guide. I should be able to let the forum know how it went in a couple of days. thanks once again for all your hard work perseverance and expertise.
Firebird
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh .
still can't get it to load / run
Well the jubilation was very shortlived

I am sure I followed it to the letter, but I didn't take into account the "thickness factor"

have you sorted out how to add poi's to the medion?
I have POI Edit, and I have loaded the TT poi's in OV2 format, then converted them to *.asc format, which the Medion works with
All I can see in the Medion POI is ALDI

Please any Ideas?
niallf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting stuck?
Firebird
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I put the TT disc into the pc, I have the sync sorted, and can see the folders on the Medion, how do I start off the TT installation?
thanks
niallf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing the TT5 software from the PC will put the four .CAB files in the \ Windows \ AppMgr \ Install directory.

You need to now do the section in my post titled

NOW TO INSTALL THE TT5 Software...

The essential component is editing the CAB file titled Navigator.cab

This needs to be done on your PC by copying the file from your MD 96800 to your PC, then using the trial version of the CAB editing software linked in the post above. Then copy the edited file back to the same place in the MD96800.

Next, using the START\RUN then select BROWSE to find the Navigator.cab file. You may need to change the Type window in the browser to ALL FILES (*.*) to see the file. Now select it, it will appear in the window as \ Windows \ AppMgr \ Install\Navigator.Cab and then click OK

This will expand and install the TT5 software and you're on your way...

Keep me posted.

Niall
exbootneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: TomTom 5 on Medion 96800 Reply with quote

Hi NIALLF and everyone else. well I've been at it for about 2 1/2 hours in all and it seems to be working fine.YIPPEE!!!!
I did however find a few things that didn't quite match the "idiots guide" that you have so kindly given us. So if you'd like to check it for me and see if it's critical.

I'll go through them as they occurred. If I start at the top of the post:
1. my first is that when I came to paragraph 6."copy modified.reg" etc. I couldn't find the MEDION file. Well it's on the original SD card. I had been doing it all without the SD card being installed in the medion unit.

2. the next glitch was at the paragraph after "Now to install the TT5"
I couldn't find the file DX.DLL to delete from the 96800 \ windows directory. I hunted high & low.

3. next was the TT CAB files, I looked in windows \ appmgr \ install directory. the file was empty. I found bluetooth & today files in the appmgr file though and deleted them.

4. I downloaded the Wince evaluation programme, and I tried to use it to modify TomTom Navigator. CAB. It would not open it. I got an onscreen message saying that TT Nav.cab is not a valid WinCE file.

having said all that I tested it on foot and in the car and apart from the screen going blue when it gave me verbal instuctions it works fine. Next stop Australia and test the TT oz maps that I've down loaded from TT's web site, A BIG THANK YOU TO NIALLF

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: