Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Crackpots going over the edge!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Crackpots going over the edge!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Crackpots going over the edge! Reply with quote

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/05042006/344/sat-nav-drivers-close-edge.html

I thought the above story quite funny. I rather like the name of the village - don't know if it's genuine or down to journalistic license. Laughing Laughing Laughing
evilscoop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a real place, its been on all the radio stations this morning in the yorkshire area
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's reported here as well ............ Laughing

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1217784,00.html

Following your GPS blindly is a bad idea.........

Chris
Scuby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea if this is specific to TeleAtlas or NavTeq?

Lew
Scuby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it could be a problem with the unit or the map, I should have also asked if anyone knows which line of SatNav products are sending people there.

Lew
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuby wrote:
Any idea if this is specific to TeleAtlas or NavTeq?

Lew
The common denominator has to be the driver not the map OR the nav package, if you are not paying attention to the road signs and area then as Chris said earlier "Following your GPS blindly is a bad idea" and will get you in trouble with the Police or worse still a trip off road, use it wisely and you will be OK, had a good laugh at the article though - what some people will do - Laughing Out Loud - Mike
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the story on Radio4.

I find it amusing that some people would rather trust their GPS than their own eyes and proceed to argue the case with the locals! "But my GPS says this is a main road!"

Munters! Rolling Eyes

Aitch
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuby wrote:
Assuming it could be a problem with the unit or the map, I should have also asked if anyone knows which line of SatNav products are sending people there.

Lew

The one used on the BBC was a TT ..........

the road has a gate on !!!! and it's a dirt track with a steep gradient ....

Draw your own conclusions on what type of person would drive up a road like that Laughing

Chris
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Sat-Navies Reply with quote

Obviously there is a minority of Sat-Nav users (Sat-Navies?) that assume that the GPS has a more powerful brain than their own. And in some cases, this may well be true. Laughing

Does this mean that the tranquil hidden valleys of the Yorkshire Dales are now long gone? Crying or Very sad
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sat-Navies Reply with quote

galaxy111 wrote:

Does this mean that the tranquil hidden valleys of the Yorkshire Dales are now long gone? Crying or Very sad

Hope not Crying or Very sad

Chris
Scuby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:
Scuby wrote:

Lew

The one used on the BBC was a TT ..........

the road has a gate on !!!! and it's a dirt track with a steep gradient ....

Draw your own conclusions on what type of person would drive up a road like that Laughing
The first time I used my TTG 700 it told me to turn into a farm with a locked gate. I kept on going and it recalculated. You need some common sense.
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that anyone dozy enough to go through a farm gate onto an unmade track deserves everything they get, I can kind-of sympathise.

I have experienced a similar thing in Scotland. I have used my TomTom for several years with little or no real problem, to such an extent that I now no longer have a paper map in the car. I will use the one in TomTom and review the route it has chosen before setting off. However, this time in Scotland a raod shown on TomTom's map was no such thing, and required a 5 mile detour to go around. This is, of course, annoying, but hardly the end of the world. At least I ewasn't trying to get my wife to hospital to give birth or anything.

There are two points here I think.

Firstly, TeleAtlas say that they survey the roads. Oh yeah? Does anyone believe they took a survey vehicle to Crackpot? Clearly the data is from elsewhere (OS maybe) and they have misinterpreted some right of way as a a road. Map makers and Sat Nav vendors should be careful in making such claims.

Secondly, when we upgraded from TomTom 3 to TomTom 5 we lost the ability to mark sections of the map to avoid. I used to find this quite useful to mark up several roads that I use from time to time, including the change in one way systems in Nuneaton and Kettering. It would be nice to be able to kill this errant road in case I come across it in the summer as we are holidaying not far from there.

Please SatNav vendors, give us back the ability to mark bad roads!

Just my 2p.
Neil
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMatthew wrote:

Firstly, TeleAtlas say that they survey the roads. Oh yeah? Does anyone believe they took a survey vehicle to Crackpot? Clearly the data is from elsewhere (OS maybe) and they have misinterpreted some right of way as a a road. Map makers and Sat Nav vendors should be careful in making such claims.

Actually Teleatlas don't say they survey all the roads. They do get their data from a number of sources including the OS. When we visited the Teleatlas offices in Belgium last year they gave us a full explanation of how the maps were created check our article at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/teleatlas-visit-aug05.php for more details.
jonajuna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrigued by this, i have had a looksee Smile not for real, but by the power of my copilot and the web.

first off, CP6 doesnt even list crackpot as a place, so no problems for us users

secondly, i cant see what all the fuss is about, the map on multimap looks fine, ive driven on far worse, must be american tourists and continental lorry drivers that are having the problems, us brits are used to dodgy winding little roads, if people struggle with a road like that, i hpe to god they never travel in the western highlands or god forbid out on the western isles!!!!

multimap, even has it shown as a nice usable yellow road

http://multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=398000.237470665&Y=496000.441521528&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=&zm=0&scale=25000&left.x=5&left.y=211
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonajuna wrote:
intrigued by this, i have had a looksee Smile not for real, but by the power of my copilot and the web.

first off, CP6 doesnt even list crackpot as a place, so no problems for us users

secondly, i cant see what all the fuss is about, the map on multimap looks fine, ive driven on far worse, must be american tourists and continental lorry drivers that are having the problems, us brits are used to dodgy winding little roads, if people struggle with a road like that, i hpe to god they never travel in the western highlands or god forbid out on the western isles!!!!

multimap, even has it shown as a nice usable yellow road

http://multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=398000.237470665&Y=496000.441521528&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=&zm=0&scale=25000&left.x=5&left.y=211

They showed this road on the BBC...............

You can't tell from a map just how bad it is.

1. it's a gravel track with a very steep gradient in places.
2. there is a sheer drop on one side.
3. It's very narrow.

If you don't have a proper 4x4 and know how to use it you won't get up

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: