Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: SmartST Pro vs Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: SmartST Pro vs Navigator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Navman 3400 for about 15 months, I guess it's fair to say that the system was very buggy until SP1 and still a bit ropey after that. SP2 was a big improvement with TTFF and overall GPS stability greatly improved. However there are some annoying faults/ommissions still remaining:

No way points or avoid capability, apparently avoid is available in version 2. My way around this was to plan routes a to b the b to c etc, this was the only way to force the routing down a particular overall direction with using favourites planned in advance

Re-routing after a missed turn etc. still leaves a lot to be desired in some cases, trying to force you to go backwards is not always the best option.

The system still loses GPS signal on long runs for no apparent reason, I have tried all the usual fixes but no joy!! I am curious to see whether a change of PDA sorts out the problem - changed my 3870 for a 3970 mainly for the much improved screen. Have yet to see how it works on a long run.

The routing with address takes over a minute to come up, probably because I have UK, France, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium loaded. (450+MB of maps on CF card)

Signal loss still an issue in the big cities, London especially I'm hoping a change of receiver will improve matters.

Despite all the moans I still would not be without it and I'm afraid until TT can navigate across countries without messing about I will stick with Navman as I travel a lot in Europe.

Considering 4410 with V2 software, but no reviews so far, how about it Dave?

Regards BigH
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as Navman send us it, we'll review it.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4410 with SmartSTv2 is good.

Adjustable angle 3D maps, postcode navigation and now has map matching which keeps you on the nearest road thus reducing mapping errors. Also has automatic back-on track re-routing but I have yet to test that last one out.

So far i'm well impressed. The above plus full seamless Europe maps won this over tomTom 2 for me!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigH wrote:
Despite all the moans I still would not be without it and I'm afraid until TT can navigate across countries without messing about I will stick with Navman as I travel a lot in Europe.

Your wait may well be over then, from what I here that is one feature of TTNav3, cross border routing :D
autobahndriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suprised you didn't include direct cross-border (or between country) routing as a point in the ratings.

Results would be:
Navman: 10 Stars
TomTom: Zero

I live near a border and the lack of this feature makes TomTom near unusable.

Next time I buy, I will get Navman unless TomTom corrects this flaw with integrated map databases.

Note: TomTom 3 attempts to address the issue with "Major Roads of Europe" althouth this still does not allow direct point to point routing. You have to go city to city on one map set then manully switch map sets then plan a new route to the point of destination. Not a driver friendly method.
sconic68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Navman vs Tom Tom Reply with quote

Well I have used both and must say that I have found navman to be a better option for routing as it does take me the way I know and as for Tom tom it tends to go the long way round as a new user of navman I am still trying to get used to the user interface not such large buttons etc, as Tom tom have made the touch screen element very easy where as Navman can be a bit fidly. Hopefully in time it will improve. My only other gripe with navman is it does seem to take ages to get a lock on sattelites where as tom tom used to be very fast. I am running both peices of software on my navman 570, but TTN5 is not playing ball very well with sattelite retreival. I am wondering if there is any new firmware that actually will update my sattelite receiver, there was one found but when I tried to use it , it simply said I can not use this software. I am waiting delvery of an external arieal which I hope will improve sattelite reception.

I think overall though, Navman is better than Tom Tom coz I had a lot of trouble with Tom Tom for some time and found there support was poor. I found an issue out that they didnt even thank me for. Anyway lets see what happens over time.
LostAgain2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Are there plans to update this review? Reply with quote

Embarassed Are there plans to update this review? Surely it's past it's sell buy date, it's 2006 Now???

Sincerely
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse still, if someone took it as representative of the current offerrings, it could be misleading.

I think it really should be a case of update it or remove it.
rallyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Help Please , navman IDN 3000 Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a navman idn3000 in car radio/cd/dvd/satnav
unit it uses according to the manual smartst /version unknown as yet firstly I am trying to find out what version it uses but don't know where to look, it's not in the manual. secondly Im looking for info on downloading the safety camera but untill I find info on which version smartst it uses I cannot do anything can anyone help a newbie Embarassed Rallyman,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: