Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ils sont Legaux(they are Legal)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ils sont Legaux(they are Legal)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my friend I have given you all the information as far as the french law is concerned, if you dont want to take any notice thats your affair,I can do no more for you in that case, but I can tell you that detect means detect, and that means detectors, they are illegal, GPS with the dater base is not.
I have the cameras on mine in france and there is no problem.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you dont want to take any notice thats your affair

I have no need of the database because I don't speed, especially when in France. The speed limits are high enough and with the roads mostly empty, many miles can be covered without speeding.

But people should be aware that although there is a database, I downloaded just to check their positions, there are a number around Lille not shown.

My advice, regardless of the law on detectors etc., is stick to the limits and you'll be OK.

I've said before, and I'll say again, my French friend says he has been told it is illegal to have warnings of where cameras are sited, although it's OK to carry a 'paper' map with their positions shown.

Also, the police tend not to worry about a few kph over the limit but will take action in the 45kph areas, usually school areas, and when the sign shows 110kph when it's raining, even when it's stopped but the road is still wet.
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still have not go hold of what I have said have you, DETECTORS,are illegal in France. I say again DETECTORS, the GPS with the data base of camera's are not DETECTORS, please do not keep refuring to them when talking about the Law in France. whether you speed or not, and I must say that if you never go over the limit I admire you for your care when driving, but you know that there are some idiots that do, and when they are caught they come out with all the excuses they can think of.

I do not want to get into an argument with you as I was only trying to help but it is obvious to me that you Friend in France knows more about it than I do, although I have had long conversations with the police on this very subject.
I would love to know who told you friend that the GPS with the camera data base on them where illegal, as I will take it further when I find out with the Gendarmerie, as I am sure that they would like to know as well.
I would also like to know if you have the cameras on you GPS and the reason for it if you drive so carefully you wont need them will you, but of course you only want to know where they are dont you, SO DOES EVERYBODY ELSE thats why they are on the GPS arnt they, and that helps a lot of people doesnt it.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I must say that if you never go over the limit I admire you for your care when driving
Thank you.

Quote:
but you know that there are some idiots that do, and when they are caught they come out with all the excuses they can think of.
Assuming the information you have received is correct, then I guess it's OK for people to download the French cameras into TomTom and therefore allow them to slow to the limit just before passing a camera/speed trap, only to speed up again afterwards.

Quote:
you Friend in France knows more about it than I do, although I have had long conversations with the police on this very subject.
His advice came about when I showed him my Sat Nav and explained I could put speed cameras on it. He said 'No, no, forbid in France'. On my next visit he told me he had checked and it was illegal.

Quote:
I would also like to know if you have the cameras on you GPS
I do not have the French Cameras on my GPS.

Quote:
if you drive so carefully you wont need them will you
I guess not then. 46 years driving, one accident, when a lorry hit me while I was stationery. 2 speeding fines, one in 1959 (motorbike) the other in 1970 (car). 10 years bus driving blame free accident record, runner up Bus Driver of the Year Kent Finals 1985.

Quote:
but of course you only want to know where they are dont you,
Yes I have the GB Safety Cameras on my GPS It tells me there have been a number of accidents in the area and extra care is needed. It may be a 40mph limit but 30 may be more appropriate. You have to remember 40 is the maximum, it's not compulsory.

Quote:
but of course you only want to know where they are dont you,

there are some idiots that do

thats why they are on the GPS arnt they, and that helps a lot of people doesnt it.

Yeah right.

Quote:
I do not want to get into an argument with you

I thought it more of an interesting discussion and have no intention of continuing into an argument but I must just add the following before I stop reading this thread.

Should my French friend, born and bred, have been given the wrong information, and people believe it, there is no harm whatsoever.

However, if, in the 'unlikely' event your information is incorrect, people could lose their GPS and dig deep to pay a hefty fine.

Accepting your information is correct and people act on it, I can see the GB plated vehicles keeping up with the B and CH plated cars on the autoroutes. :P
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry my friend I wont even try to reply to your comments, I have done all I can
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
Just to let you know that I have just completed a trip to the UK and back, a round trip of about 2000 miles, on my return to france I was stopped just south of Lille by a routine police point at a round about, after the police checked my paper work they noticed that I had a GPS in the car, after a few questions about it, and also asking if I had the speed cameras on it, (at which I said that I did have them), they replied that they hoped that I had a pleasent journey down to the south of France, but they did remind me to have a rest now and again. I went on my way with now problems at all.
It seems that they now know the law as well.
regards
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Bus Driver of the Year Kent Finals 1985.'

So ? 21 years ago ? Do me a favour.
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha Ha very good my friend
regards
CharlieG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Ils sont legaux Reply with quote

Just got back from a three week holiday in S of France, drove down and back and did about 2000 miles while I was there. Had my iPaq with camera database and and Inforad receiver in full view all the time. On the return trip I was pulled by a gendarmerie car and asked for my documents. No mention was made of the systems although they gave my car a good going over before letting me go on my way.
Dest 6, Maps of Europe, Memory Map Navigator (Europe Edition)
GlobalSat SDI0 SD-501 GPS, BT GPS
TT BT GPS, Inforad
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Glad to know you had no problems, and I hope you had a good time in France, with loads of good wine and food.
regards.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ils sont legaux Reply with quote

CharlieG wrote:
Just got back from a three week holiday in S of France, drove down and back and did about 2000 miles while I was there. Had my iPaq with camera database and and Inforad receiver in full view all the time. On the return trip I was pulled by a gendarmerie car and asked for my documents. No mention was made of the systems although they gave my car a good going over before letting me go on my way.

Can I ask, which camera database do you use....would it be good for Spain and Portugal as well ?
CharlieG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Ils sont legaux Reply with quote

I used the single european database and coupled with my Inforad I think I picked up all the cameras on my route. I don't know about Spain but I should think so.
TT BT GPS, Inforad
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ils sont legaux Reply with quote

CharlieG wrote:
I used the single european database and coupled with my Inforad I think I picked up all the cameras on my route. I don't know about Spain but I should think so.

The 'Single European Base'....from this site ?
CharlieG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Ils sont legaux Reply with quote

That is correct
TT BT GPS, Inforad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: