Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ils sont Legaux(they are Legal)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ils sont Legaux(they are Legal)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Ils sont Legaux(they are Legal) Reply with quote

Further to my other post in this section, I now have some information that will interest you all, the case was bought by Auto Plus.fr and was carried out by the tribunial of the police in Lyon France,20 Sept 2005 who considered that the use of Radar detectors were illegal in France, however a person using GPS systems for detecting speed camera's were ok. The Justice also told the police who considered that they were illegal were wrong.

I also have other info from Controleradar.org that the use of GPS with POI's that have positions of radar camera's in France are 100% legal.

There is also a question about the use of Radar Detectors which in some cases has not been resolved,although they are being used openly here and are on sale in many large stores. So for the moment I suggest that you do not use them, but it seems that the use of GPS is legal. I hope this stops all the questions regarding their use, and would like to know if anybody has had their GPS confiscated, as the police have no right to do it.
If anybody knows of someone who had had this done I would be very interested.
This of course does not include people that have been stopped for speeding and were Stupid when told about it by the police, you are on your own I'm afraid, drive carefully and respect the speed limits here and you will have no problems. ( I hope ) I am have talks with my local police at this moment and am trying to get the law in writing and will update this when I can
GpsPasSion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're French, if I may suggest a link with the actual articles of the law - http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10456 ;-)
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not French I am English,and have been living here for nearly four years, as soon as I get the law in writing I will put a link on so that everybody can read it. but rest assured from what I have, it appears that the GPS is legal in France with the speed camera's.
you can of course go to angloinfo.fr type in (driving) find driving in France and then select camera's and it will give you all the info you require.but of course it's in French but not very difficult to understand.
If I can be of any other help I will be only to pleased just ask and I will do what I can.
regards
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for GPSpasion I have just been to your site and have noticed that most of the articals are from 2004 I think things have changed a bit since then and the GPS has become more acceptable the web site of caradisiac.com also have some up to date info which is interesting to read
regards
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry the address for anglinfo is not .fr the address is angloinfo.com
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be interested in the UK stance. Copied from the members section
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35213

Q. Are your speed camera warnings legal?

A. Yes, the official Government line is that most fixed cameras are installed at accident 'black spots' where four or more serious road accidents have occurred over a three year period. It is the joint policy of both the UK Department for Transport and the police to make the locations of these cameras as well known as possible. The Speed Camera Database (which also includes traffic light camera warnings) adds to this process by identifying the places where extra care should be taken. Not only do we receive additions and modifications from police forces, but we are also reliably informed that police officers 'unofficially' use our database. Officers are often treated more harshly when caught, especially by their superiors, so it is in their interest to be extra careful!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. Do the Government support what you do?

A. Yes. The Road Safety Bill 2005 states: "The Government will not be prohibiting those devices that rely on Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to warn drivers of published camera sites or posted speed limits, as these complement the Government's policy to ensure that camera sites are visible and conspicuous to drivers, and so help deter excessive and inappropriate speeds on the roads." They also say "The road safety benefits are clear. The existing GPS systems can contain information including the location of all approved speed camera sites in the country and the speed limits that apply there. Providing this information to drivers can only improve the prospects of drivers amending their speeds in order to comply with limits at or near camera sites."

The RAC Foundation also support what we do. Edmund King, the executive director, said: "These alerts have clear road safety benefits. They provide drivers with a legitimate reminder that they should slow down, and prevent the need to keep taking their eyes off the road to check the speedometer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. But then why have I read media reports that detectors are illegal?

A. The Government plans to include a ban on radar detectors in a forthcoming Road Safety Bill. The Department of Transport states: "Devices which detect or interfere with the proper functioning of such cameras have only one purpose: to tell drivers when they can break speed limits and get away with it. This is unacceptable, it prevents the police from carrying out their duties, and is a danger to other law-abiding road users." This has no relation whatsoever to the PocketGPSWorld.com database, the type of which the Government actively supports.
Q. Haven't the Government said that they will be phasing out speed cameras?

A. No, they have said that they will be slowing down the growth. The overall volume of speed cameras will continue to grow, but not as fast as has recently been the case. Additionally, substantial increases in the numbers of red light cameras and mobile locations are predicted.
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that, and as you can see now the laws are changed with regards to the EU, I think that it is the same here in France, although I do not have the law in writting as yet I hope to get it very soon.
As you say the devices that stop the Radar and block out the signal they I believe are illegal here but are still being used by many people.
I think that you can see from my first post that there are many things going on within the EU and an acceptance of GPS with POI's and a data base of camera's are now accepted for the good of road safety and stop the deaths and injuries that happen, not only here in France but in the whole of the EU. I dont know if people realise this but we are all the same country now and are being rulled by Brussels and what they say goes I'm afraid but if it stops death on the roads I am all for it.
regards
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the GPSPassion thread, thank goodness for the Google Language translator.

Does one of my friends raise the question to know if the use of software GPS to obtain the localization of the fixed radars and especially "mobiles" and "red lights" is well juridically legal? The fixed majority of the radars is in any event présignalée by panels but not the "mobile" radars or "red lights"! The legislation does not speak it about "Any device" able of.... (etc.) The Minister for transport questioned this morning over "Tele-Morning" (France2) seems to condemn detection (localization) radars in France by system GPS (and GSM)! Do we have a lawyer in our forums able to answer this interrogation officially? Moreover, won't popularization with excess of information "anti-radars GPS" by several magazines cars cause an amendment of the current law?

"the fact of holding or of transporting an apparatus, device or product of nature or presented as being likely to detecting the presence or disturbing the operation of apparatuses, instruments or systems being used for the observation of the infringements to the legislation or the regulation of the road traffic or of allowing..." With my opinion, the key is "to detect", TomTom with the Peas Ca "does not detect" anything at most Ca "announces" as the charts of radar published by the automobile magazines since many years do it. And would Gilles de Robien contradict himself or is this a bad interpretation of his remarks? It is you who heard it on TeleMatin or they are brought back remarks? Maintaining with the arrival of autonomous modules has 99 euros which are placed on the dashboard, Ca could make evolve/move the law...

I questioned my cousin, examining magistrate in Paris. Its analysis is that the use of a data base in conjunction with an apparatus of localization is not illegal. That the data base contains all the streets of Paris, all the service stations of Navarre or the particular POI, its use IS NOT ILLEGALE (I do not shout, I underline). And as all that is not prohibited... it will be one day (I joke)... is authorized, in the current legislative state, our action is still legal.

Well my French friend says I should still not put Speed Cameras on my French map. Better safe than sorry. Interpretation is the key.

e.g. For motor cyclists is says 'a helmet must be carried', so in France you see the helmets 'carried' everywhere except on their heads. :P
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see what you are saying, and agree with you however there is a difference in DETECTING and already knowing where the camera's are, what they are saying is that you can spend 99euroes for a detector and put it in your car, that I believe is illegal, but to have a data base in your GPS for the camera's is not illegal as you are not DETECTING.
Also you can buy the maps in France that have all the camera's on anyway so I cannot see their point, I also believe that your friend in Paris is quite right about them, as far as the crash helmets are concered I think that they are all idiots that dont understand and just wish to be clever until an accident happens and they are taken to hospital and some of them die because they have not bothered or do not know the law.
regards
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futher to my last post this interview took place on the 26/5/2004 with the minister of transport not today, things have moved along a bit since then, and laws have been changed GPS such as tom tom and others are not able to DETECT but remined people where the camera's are that is good for road safety, to remined people to slow down in accident black spots,according to my interpretation and from the info I have already written in this thread GPS with POI's which have a camera data base are not illegal in France, only DETECTORS that interfere with the operation of the mobile ones are.
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my last post, I now have more infomation regarding the use of GPS and the data base of speed camera's in France.
I have had a long conversation with the gendarmerie in Vence through my Local Police in La gaude, NICE and they have informed me that the GPS system with the data base of fixed speed camera's are Legal and no action will be taken against people with it.
However anyone who has a means of DETECTING the mobile camera's are acting against the law here in France and you will have the detector confiscated and also you will be fined. ( if caught)

( Le GPS notamment,100% Legal et efficace si la base de donnees est mise a jour, permet de prevenir de la presence des radar fixes uniquement, mais aussi les detecteurs de radar, illegaux et peu utiles sur les nouveaux radar a faisceau etroit, ainsi que les brouilleurs de radar, egalement illegaux et peu efficacaces sur les nouveaux radar multibandes)

in other words you are all ok with GPS but not with Radar DETECTORS do not use them you do so at your own risk.
I hope that this will put your minds at rest when you come here for your holiday this year, and I hope that you all enjoy your stay with the French people, and it's weather food and wine. also dont forget drink driving is not liked here and there are very harsh penalties including prison if you are caught.

a bientot
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for a quality post Geoffrey.

Can anyone give a definitive answer re Germany, or indeed any other country? Is it a UK law or EU wide law?
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for that, you are very welcome, I only hope that it helps a lot of people when coming here
Regards
geoffrey
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moderators
Any chance making this post a sticky as it might help other people when they are looking for the info particularly new members that have not read it.
regards
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interpretation?

Detectors are banned in France.

A detector detects.

Synonyms of Detect.

Notice, sense, become aware of, perceive, spot, distinguish, identify, discover.

Personally I will leave them off my device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: