Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Download the safety camera database for free (legaly)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Download the safety camera database for free (legaly)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davejh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Download the safety camera database for free (legaly) Reply with quote

For those that dont know you can get the safety camera database for free. Just download POIEDIT from poiedit.com/downloads.htm. Select http://www.pocketgpsworld.com from the site name box and select UNITED KINGDOM from the MAPS/COUNTRIES box. You will then be presented with tall the individual poi files. Select all of them and click on the local icon at the top which will prompt you to save the files. And there you go.

Just a little note to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com. How do you intend to enforce copyright on the files downloaded with poiedit. There is no copyright notice or any terms and conditions for files downloaded with poiedit which throws the files into the public domain. Just something you may wish to address.[/url]
davejh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a footnote to the above. as poiedit downloads just the raw data not packaged in anyway by pocketgpsworld.com I presume the raw data can be freely used however anyone sees fit
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may be aware of the fact that the data is from the last free version of the database.

The copyright is valid no matter if the copyright notice is attached to the individual files or not. More information can be found at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/copyright.php - this covers all means of downloading the database information.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
davejh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for enabling this post.
I am not at all sure that your website Copyright, Disclaimer, Terms of Use and Privacy policy does cover using poiedit to obtain the database with copyright intact. Nowhere on the poiedit website or within the poiedit application or within the data itself does it state that data downloaded through poiedit is copyright. Nor does it state anywhere that a user should visit your site to read your Copyright, Disclaimer, Terms of Use and Privacy policy before using such data. Infect nowhere does it state what you can and cannot do with the raw data collected. As poiedit simply collects the raw data from a database unknown to the user of poiedit how is anyone expected to know the data is copyright.
I would suggest to you that this is most definitely a loophole within your copyright that does allow anyone to quite legally produce a derivative work using poiedit as the data source. And yes you maybe able to closed this loophole but I am afraid your data is already in the public domain albeit a previous version of the database
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davejh wrote:
I am afraid your data is already in the public domain albeit a previous version of the database

yes, but there have been "185 additions and 419 changes" since this release. how long will it take you to find and make all those amendments? how will you know which they are?

MaFt
davejh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
davejh wrote:
I am afraid your data is already in the public domain albeit a previous version of the database

yes, but there have been "185 additions and 419 changes" since this release. how long will it take you to find and make all those amendments? how will you know which they are?

MaFt

It would take me about five minutes using comparison software to compare the previous database to the current one to determine the additions and changes. But you misunderstand my post. I am merely highlighting a loophole in the copyright that would allow anyone to create a derivative work using poiedit as the data source. I personally do not intend to use the database in any way shape or form.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davejh wrote:
I personally do not intend to use the database in any way shape or form.

Thank you for that clarification Dave.

Just to make things 100% clear and so there can be no misunderstanding, any unauthorised use of our data whether in raw form or compiled is illegal.

Please read our copyright notice and justification below Dave and hopefully you will see our point. The notice is based on copyright law:

Copyright and Protection © for PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Warning Database (for the whole or a part of), all rights reserved Worldwide.

Thousands of working hours have been spent (and ongoing) obtaining, compiling, collating, validating, editing, formatting, distributing, supporting and improving upon the database.

The database is a compilation of data arranged in a systematic way. PocketGPSWorld.com makes a qualitatively and quantitatively substantial investment in the collection, assembly, verification, organization and presentation of the contents of the database and a significant investment of human, financial and technical resources. This entitles PocketGPSWorld.com by law to claim sole copyright of the database.

A number of fluid, changeable methods are in place where we can easily identify copied versions of the Speed Camera Warning Database. All individual downloads and batches of the Speed Camera Warning Database can be identified both to a particular download and member. For commercial reasons we do not disclose details of this protection methodology nor do we give all (some will be obvious to the more technical) system or visual clues that protection is active. Attempts at corruption of the protection system and consequent dissemination of the data will result in prosecution. The database and data contained within it are owned by and copyright of PocketGPSWorld.com. This data is not allowed to be shared, reproduced, incorporated on any website or in any application including CD and DVD or newer media in part or in full without our prior written authorisation from PocketGPSWorld.com.

Data, text, graphics, indicia and code are protected by UK, US, EU and International Copyright Laws, and may not be copied, reprinted, published, translated, hosted, or otherwise distributed by any means without explicit permission. All Speed Camera Warning Database (sometimes referred to as safety camera database and including red light cameras) subscriber and non-subscriber submissions, additions and amendments automatically become the individual and collective property of PocketGPSWorld.com. No permission will be granted to companies, organisations, websites or author's who distribute our data without a current commercial PocketGPSWorld.com license.

You may not store any content downloaded from PocketGPSWorld.com on any platform accessible to anyone apart from the purchaser, including personal computers, network computers, mobile devices, http and ftp servers. Content must not be served dynamically to more than one person, that person being the purchaser. You may not transfer ownership of our content to another party. You may not sell any of our content on auction sites nor include it with or within any item sold on an auction site. You may not modify, disassemble or reverse-engineer any content downloaded from this site. You may not distribute any content from this site (free or for a fee) as part of a package without prior permission from PocketGPSWorld.com.
davejh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case, a simple question for you.

Do you intend to enforce copyright infringement against the authors of poiedit?

Please don’t insult my intelligence by asking me to expand upon my question.

Think carefully now before you answer and look at your own copyright text in your post. This will be interesting Laughing
4ndy_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you guys get sick of people like this ?
Andy.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndy_b wrote:
Andy.

Andy totally agree.

it's like a stuck record............ Laughing

I have to hand it to the PocketGPS team for letting this guy kepp his user name and allowing him to post - some other sites I can think of would have taken more direct action by now.

At least he can have his say and I'm all for that Smile

Chris
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndy_b wrote:
Andy.

Actually the more he posts the easier it is for all to see what type of character davejh is.

davejh, If you were better acquainted with Copyright you would realise that Copyright is implicit. Unless these rights are waived by an author/creator then the full protection applies.

We also have IP protection for the database as a work. We have no reason to take action against the authors of POIedit, we have worked with them for some years and they merely facilitate access. Using POIedit does not infer any greater rights to the user and indeed we are working to integrate the subscription version with POIEdit.

Last edited by Darren on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Davejh is some sort of barrack room lawyer.....only a court case would probably decide the actual rights and / or wrongs of this type of copyright issue.
Budweiser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeact wrote:
Perhaps Davejh is some sort of barrack room lawyer.....only a court case would probably decide the actual rights and / or wrongs of this type of copyright issue.

I think it is important to have people on any forum who are not afraid to challenge/question items - why not? My first post please accept I'm not trying to anyone off just making a point :D
4ndy_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree completely, but I can't help feeling he was just been argumentative, which there really is no need for, especially when you consider these guys are here to help us (and our licenses).

Kind of spoils any point that he was trying to make in the first place aswell.

Again just my take on it.
Andy.
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do subscribe but I'm still confused. So what you are saying is if I obtain the database via POIedit it's not going to be the latest one?
If that is the case it's a shame cos it's hell of a lot easier than unzipping and selecting the files you want then having to copy and paste

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: