Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newsnight tonight - speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newsnight tonight - speed cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Newsnight tonight - speed cameras Reply with quote

Like it says on the box - check out the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4791056.stm
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some how I don't think the following will appear on the news in the morning, but this is what I have just sent in:
Zero points and I intend to keep it this way, armed with satellite navigation and the location of the cameras, plus alerts (accident spots, apparently) I slow down to below the legal speed limit in advance, the Sat Nav is not in control of me or the car, the driver must take full responsibility for his/ her actions (speed to name but one) - I would personally like to see the approaching face of the speed cameras i.e. that presented to the oncoming traffic displaying a large digital sign indicating the speed of the approaching vehicle, its not rocket science in this day and age, and would serve the original true purpose of the camera location - to slow people down, lets face it if you are informed of your speed and then get prosecuted you have absolutely no defence at all - this should be classed as dangerous if not stupid driving and enforced in this way - if revenue from the cameras were to be diverted to this sort of activity rather than just simply adding more government cash machines (Speed cameras) then I would agree that they are a device aimed at safer driving rather than the pocket of the ill fated motorist – Mike Alder

Will have to wait and see - Mike
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Mike. Trouble is, your submission is both sensible and logical, and is therefore utterly un-newsworthy.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the digital signs you refer to are substantially more successful in reducing speed than cameras - and it was from a reliable source.

Shame that so few take an interest in what is about to be thrown at the speeding motorist - an offer to elucidate in the members' forum seems to have run into a wall of indifference.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike a well structured reply - nice one!!!

If only they would listen......

Astrocompass - I read your original post, it sounded interesting but to be honest I didn't understand what you were trying to get at.

For example I've only just twigged what you mean't by SCP - perhaps I need to get out more. Laughing

Chris
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would like to see the approaching face of the speed cameras displaying a large digital sign indicating the speed of the approaching vehicle

Love it. That would be way cool. Laughing

You wouldnt' have to take your eyes off the road when you approach the "accident black spot" beacause you would see your speed up in lights. Of course your idea wouldn't make any money so that's a non-starter.

I hit a dog on my motorbike one day. I didn't see it coming but I do know that I was doing exactly 30 MPH because I was approaching a speed camera and too busy looking at my speedo rather than looking where I was going. :x

I couldn't find the dog, I guess he was OK and just got a hell of a fright. Confused
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I read your original post, it sounded interesting but to be honest I didn't understand what you were trying to get at.

My apologies. Trying to be overly succint, maybe? But in essence, the errant motorist is soon to be facing a raft of extra legislation. Firstly, multiple offenders (e.g. those with, for instance, three speeding convictions in three years) will soon be facing not only the "regular" fine but also a surcharge on top of and in addition to that fine. This can't be done at the moment for the simple reason that it's almost impossible to identify multiple offenders in a timely manner.

Graduated penalties, and the implications of a single national database holding all speed conviction details, I'll leave to your imagination. Unless, of course, anyone wants me to spell it out for them......

Plus, it's useful to distinguish between the Safety Camera Partnerships (SCP) who run the cameras, and the Central Ticket Offices, who process the tickets. The first is not exactly skint, the second is a Police function and is therefore largely cash starved. Start drawing conclusions...
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point...... 8O

Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
the Sat Nav is not in control of me or the car, the driver must take full responsibility for his/ her actions (speed to name but one)
Ok - perhaps it is time to come clean on this the Ovlov (try it in reverce, and no jokes about it going faster that way) does have a GPS fed speed limiter fitted, but this is home brew software/ hardware - just need to get the cars PC back up and running for some screen shots, in my opinion if it reduces the burden on the driver then it adds to the safety of the package - i.e. the 2 tonne lump of steel traveling down the road - and no it doesn't stay in the middle lane Wink - Mike
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

and no it doesn't stay in the middle lane Wink

Only when it's going downhill Laughing

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: