Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sunday Times sat-nav article
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunday Times sat-nav article
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnGray
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Sunday Times sat-nav article Reply with quote

I thought everyone might like to read this masterpiece of journalism from today's Sunday Times "Driving" section: How sat-nav rats brought jams to country lanes.

John
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in depth jornalism there then they must just go out and fine the peopel who olny think there useless. as for the village personally i would think that a general increase in traffic has added traffic to the village, the taxi driver at the end needs to put his brain back in when using it 8O Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes though they do have one point that people do need to learn how to use them and not just follow the directions blindly just my personal veiw

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the comment
Quote:
“I have committed a lot of traffic offences because of my sat nav,” he says. “It often tells me to go the wrong way down one-way streets in Paisley. It tells me to take right-hand turns when it is illegal and it sends me down bus and taxi lanes. I bought it to make my life easier, but it is useless.”

People that are that stupid and think SatNav is some kind of autopilot ought to have their driving licences revoked. Sad
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stewart Lockhart, an Exclamation ambulance service employee Exclamation ...

“I have committed a lot of traffic offences because of my sat nav,” he says. “It often tells me to go the wrong way down one-way streets in Paisley. It tells me to take right-hand turns when it is illegal and it sends me down bus and taxi lanes. I bought it to make my life easier, but it is useless.”

It doesn't actually say that he is an Ambulance DRIVER, but the next time I see an ambulance in Paisley, I'm giving it a wide berth Exclamation Exclamation 8O

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
It doesn't actually say that he is an Ambulance DRIVER, but the next time I see an ambulance in Paisley, I'm giving it a wide berth Exclamation Exclamation 8O

Paramedic drivers have to take an advanced driving course and their driving is of a very high standard. I suspect the use of the term 'ambulance service employee' was used specifically to suggest they were when they clearly were not.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the article was written by a lazy journalist who was looking for an easy story to write.

Quote:
Several lorries are also thought to have crashed into railway bridges because sat nav devices failed to point out their low height, according to Network Rail

So, why don't Network Rail release a free POI database for low bridges? Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Sounds like the article was written by a lazy journalist who was looking for an easy story to write.

Speaking as a part-time journo who writes for some PC and PDA mags, is there any other kind? The vast majority of such work is written by uninformed, uninterested writers with little or no experience of the topic and often just some PR material. Sad but true.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Several lorries are also thought to have crashed into railway bridges because sat nav devices failed to point out their low height, according to Network Rail

Hmmmmm!! it seems eysight and common sense have been left behind somewhere (possibly at the last bridge).
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Skippy wrote:

is there any other kind?

How true.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Quote:

So, why don't Network Rail release a free POI database for low bridges? Rolling Eyes

I couldn't agree more, and how about the highways agency doing the same for weight restrictions etc
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridiculous story.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Er, no. The Sat Nav guided the driver to the bridge but the driver failed to notice the signs by the side of the road and on the bridge displaying the height restriction and proceeded to just carry on driving through.
weestewarty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Quote:

I am Stewart Lockhart, I have only just got round to reading this story today them came across this post. I want to let you all know that the part about me is total rubbish, I have not committed ANY never mind a lot of traffic offences due to my tomtom. It does give me some wrong instructions but I don’t always follow them, common sense tells you when not too.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weestewarty wrote:
I have not committed ANY never mind a lot of traffic offences due to my tomtom. It does give me some wrong instructions but I don’t always follow them, common sense tells you when not too.

Welcome

How did the paper get the quote so badly wrong then? If I was you I'd write to them and demand that they retract the quote or you will sue them for libel.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weestewarty wrote:
BGF wrote:
Quote:

I am Stewart Lockhart, I have only just got round to reading this story today them came across this post. I want to let you all know that the part about me is total rubbish, I have not committed ANY never mind a lot of traffic offences due to my tomtom. It does give me some wrong instructions but I don’t always follow them, common sense tells you when not too.

Stewart,

In view of what you've said, I feel I owe you an apology!

BGF wrote:
The next time I see a newspaper reporter in Paisley, I'm giving it a wide berth Exclamation Exclamation 8O

Just out of interest, how badly were you misquoted, and how did they get to speak to you in the first place?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: