Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satnav in your motorbike helmet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satnav in your motorbike helmet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Satnav in your motorbike helmet? Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
With jet fighter pilots already enjoying the benefit of in-helmet displays it was only a matter of time before someone foresaw the possibilities of this tech for bikers.

A Russian team have now developed a motorbike helmet that contains its own projector, display and navigation technology and can display navigation instructions projected onto the visor.

It seems like an ideal solution for bikers, removing the need to take your eyes off the road increases safety. The projector and display produces a collimated image identical to head-up displays and in-helmet systems in fighter jets. This ensures it is focussed ahead of the rider so that the eyes do not need to refocus.

A G-sensor, gyroscope and compass allow head tracking which means the display can update in real-time as the riders head is moved providing an augmented reality view.

Initially the designers were seeking funding via Indiegogo but they now claim to have received venture finding to enable the prototype to progress to a production solution. You can read more on the developers Indiegogo page via the link below.

Source: Indiegogo LiveMap: Motorbike helmet with navigation

email icon

smartroad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so want one! Shame it would have to be a new helmet and not a retro fit. but hay its cool.
PeteMelbourne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Pointless Reply with quote

This is pointless, they are seeing problems where there is no problem.

On my bike, and on my last one, the eye movement to see the sat nav screen is less than that required to see the manufacture fitted sat nav in my car. Yes you can fit a sav nav in a daft place where it is not easy to see but the same is true in a car.
draifa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Are these guys bikers? Reply with quote

The technology sounds good but this hasn't been thought through. I've spent £400 on a helmet and £200 on a paired Bluetooth coms system and found a helmet that fits the shape of my head. Am I then going to spend $1500 on another helmet that only comes in one shape (5 sizes) and only gives me sav nav?
What's the lifetime of the helmet? How will it be repaired if part of the hardware fails? Can the display be switched off or adjusted at night?
I can't see this getting past the Dragons Den team!
Until the technology becomes a retro fit to an existing helmet, they're not going to sell many units to ordinary bikers!
tilt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a little extra thought in getting the verbal instructions more biker friendly and there need be very little need for expensive in helmet graphics

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: