Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC Foundation report: TOO MUCH INFORMATION
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC Foundation report: TOO MUCH INFORMATION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kragbell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: RAC Foundation report: TOO MUCH INFORMATION Reply with quote

I saw the BBC article this morning on THIS REPORT.

Essentially the RAC Foundation suggest road signage is cluttered & contradictory resulting in information overload reducing safety & increasing the likelyhood of getting lost.

My main beef with the report was with the reporter (and celebrity psychologist Linda Papadopoulos) over-playing the distractions caused by Sat Nav systems when in fact Edmund King, Executive Director of the RAC foundation actually argues that
Quote:
"journey pre-planning by motorists and use of sophisticated navigation/congestion avoidance systems like Smart Nav can help motorists to avoid confusion caused by confusing signs."

Anyone see it / agree. ?

Actually, writing this here has prompted me to consider contacting the BBC to suggest the article was quite misleading regards the actual content of the RAC report :x
kragbell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm feeling a little belligerent this morning so have dropped a line to the BBC letting them know I thought their article unfairly represented Sat Nav use, especially given the Chief Exec. of RAC Foundation's argument.

Think I'll go for that coffee break now :D
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: RAC Foundation report: TOO MUCH INFORMATION Reply with quote

kragbell wrote:
My main beef with the report was with the reporter (and celebrity psychologist Linda Papadopoulos) over-playing the distractions caused by Sat Nav systems

OK so I will switch my sat nav off and then I will be a much safer driver by cutting across lanes of traffic at the last minute or doing a black cab style U-Turn because I missed my turn.

Yeah right, Doctor Papadopoulos. Keep taking the drugs, they are starting to work. Laughing
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often used to drive with a map across my knees, or propped against the steering wheel trying to find somewhere, often made all the more confusing by contradtictory signs.

These days, I just program it into TomTom, set off and blissfully ignore all signs (apart from speed limits, of course Wink )

It has made my journeys safer and stress-free. That can only be a good thing.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be interested in the following snippet in the Members Forums 'Speed Camera Database Questions And Answers'. The Government say "The road safety benefits [of speed camera warnings] are clear'. By default that would indicate that they agree with the device itself.

Quote:
Q. Do the Government support what you do?

A. Yes. The Road Safety Bill 2005 states: "The Government will not be prohibiting those devices that rely on Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to warn drivers of published camera sites or posted speed limits, as these complement the Government's policy to ensure that camera sites are visible and conspicuous to drivers, and so help deter excessive and inappropriate speeds on the roads." They also say "The road safety benefits are clear. The existing GPS systems can contain information including the location of all approved speed camera sites in the country and the speed limits that apply there. Providing this information to drivers can only improve the prospects of drivers amending their speeds in order to comply with limits at or near camera sites."

... and the RAC Foundation:

Quote:
The RAC Foundation also support what we do. Edmund King, the executive director, said: "These alerts have clear road safety benefits. They provide drivers with a legitimate reminder that they should slow down, and prevent the need to keep taking their eyes off the road to check the speedometer

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35213[/quote]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: