Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database for ViaMichelin V4
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database for ViaMichelin V4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tractorman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Database for ViaMichelin V4 Reply with quote

I am new to GPS and require a speed camera database. Can anybody advise me on the best/cheapest/free database to use with viaMichelin Navigation on a iPAQ rz1710 Navigator.

Thanks for your input.

HOWARD
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the database from this website http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

As I understand the .bmp files (in the OS2 BMP folder) no longer need to be resized for v4 and you can use the .asc files without converion, You add them to viaMichelin by using POIManager in the Mapstore desktop application and this will add the files to the pda. You will need to create the categories first and associate the .bmp files with the new poi categories and then add the data files

Hope this helps
tractorman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elan2s

Thanks for info, will try the database out............H
tractorman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elan2

I’ve tried (eventually) to put the files in my PDA using the POI manager software in Via Michelin, but with little success.
Can you (or anyone else) please advise me on the exact files to use and give clear and simple instructions on how to do it, as I do not want to mess things up!
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks……….HOWARD
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the following instructions will work for you. I am not using v4 but taking information from other posters have modified my original instructions to reflect the changes in v4. If any v4 users spot an error please let me know and I can amend the instructions. I will also ask the GPS team to add these instructions to the Speed Camera Database forum and download files.

Here are the full instructions for adding the PocketGPS speed camera database to viaMichelin (v2.5, v3 and v4)

A) Download .zip file from pocketgps

B) Unzip and save in a directory. For vM users the important sub-directories are "asc files" and "ov2 bmp files", unless you wish to use the speed zoned data in which case you will need to use the files in the sub-directories in the "speed zoned" directory. For the rest of this post I will assume that the user is not using speed zoned data - probably best for the novice. for those wishing to use the speed zoned data the principles are exactly the same however. The speed camera data files are in the "asc files" directory and the icon files are in the "ov2 bmp files" directory.

C) (NOTE v4 users can skip this step as v4 can accept larger icons) Using MS Paint resize the icons for each of the file types to 16x16 pixels (72% scaling seems to achieve this in Image/Stretch-Skew) you may want to then edit the image to reintroduce some white to the inside of the camera. I have used colour (replacing white pixels with colour in MS Paint) to differentiate between the different types of device –White for Gatso, Red for SPECS and so on but this is not essential. You will only need to access these files once (for step D below) but I would recommend saving the resized files somewhere where you van get to them again should you need to.

D) In Mapstore add the new POI classifications and assign the appropriate graphics file. DO NOT DO THIS IN MAPSONIC ON THE PDA

The above two processes (C & D) are only required the first time you do this

E) Using POIManager import each of the files from the "asc files" directory. Select the file, associate it with the relevant POI category you have created (ie gatso file to gatso category etc) It will ask you to synchronise after adding each file, say yes and then at the request to sync click cancel and you can add other files so that you do all of the imports in one go. Note that the POI files have to reside on the PDA and not on the memory card to work (reports suggest this is no longer the case for v4). This process also copies over the graphic files associated with the POIs. You do not need to copy them over to the PDA seperately

In the PC application if you zoom below level 6 then you will see the icons on the map and this is a good way of checking the import process has been successful.

F) In vM on your PDA in Settings (either at the first menu or when in Navigation mode) go to the POI-W menu and simply "tick" the new categories you have created. This will both display the cameras on the map and also provide 30 and 10 second audible warning.

G) If you wish to download an updated file you simply repeat the above POIManager process (E above). After downloading an update it is wise to check that the POI-W selections are still checked as sometimes they seem to get switched off on the pda.

For those travelling to France, the free speed camera POI download file from vM has many more cameras than the one from PocketGPS and simply requires downloading and importing into vM via the POI Manager. It has its own icon graphic built in.
tractorman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elan2s

Thanks for a very quick and detailed reply. Will try and load up the files shortly.
Thanks..........HOWARD Smile
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a VM V4 user, I can confirm that elan2s has given the correct instructions for V4 users. However, sometimes it can still seem daunting. If anything still catches you out, pelase post again and we'll try to help you out.
tractorman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions worked fine, thanks for all your help.........HOWARD :D
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of help.

I have sent an email to the PGPSworld team askisng that these instructions be added to the main speed camera database page
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are changing our release data at the moment. I will be including instructions in the next release.
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
TrevH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the same instructions work for VM mapstore V3.5
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should do ...
TrevH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx, Tried it, works, spot on.
NavEx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF, want a job?
Paul
Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: