Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REQUEST FOR PERMISION TO SPEAK FREELY
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REQUEST FOR PERMISION TO SPEAK FREELY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davejh wrote:
PERMISSION TO SPEAK FREELY

Well you've had your say, you don't agree with the charges for the safety cameras, your starting your own data base so why keep coming back to this forum.
chigwa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - you have said your piece now be off with you to build your database and for that matter your vehicle for getting it to people!!
TTBT RECEIVER
CHECKPOINT
P900
C500
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="davejh"]
astrocompass wrote:
Hope you booked marked the "non-functioning web link"

why? it doesn't function...

clear off now - you've had your fun :D

MaFt
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very interesting.

BO PEEP said 'If I were you, I'd get busy working on your database - it sounds to me like you will have hundreds of ex-PGPSW members eagerly waiting for your finished product'

It appears he wont have to get busy working on his database, all he has to do is sit back, let members supply the locations of Safety Cameras, state the database will remain FREE, and when it's up and running, start charging for it. Oh I get it! Someone beat him to it.

As for driving a BMW into a Mercedes showroom. Is that similar to members of the public supplying all the parts for a BMW and helping build it, only to find when it's completed that they will have to pay for the pleasure of using it?

Some of the remarks of the moderators leaves a lot to be desired. I can fully understand why some members have been deeply shocked and offended by the goings on.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is that many of the statements made are wholly untrue and unjustified. In the initial stages of creating the database we trawlled the information available publically and captured our own data to build a working database of some 2000+ entries. Only then did we announce it and ask for submissions.

Yes members have supplied a large amount of data, and in return for over three years now we have collated it, edited it, prepared it in an ever increasing range of formats and hosted it. It does not magically metamorph from an email or a Streetmap.co.uk image into an accurate co-ordinate in a database. We feel that for our part we have provided a worthwhile return for the efforts to those who contributed and it should not be overlooked that only a small percentage of those who use it regularly have ever contributed.

We have offered lifetime subscriptions to all those who contributed up until our announcement which we feel rewards those whose contributions made it what it is today. However we wish to move forward and I am 100% confident that we have plentiful support for our plans.

It is a fraction of the userbase that has seen red at our proposals and I understand that we can never please all but I am incensed when people make statements about the amount of unhappy users being the majority when this is miles wide of the truth. To those who did and continue to contribute we are indebted, to those who have never contributed yet attack us I suggest they go ahead and set up an alternative. Only then will they appreciate the work involved.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just put this behaviour in to simple context, do Tesco's advertise cheaper products at competitors stores, I think not, then why should we tolerate anymore from this individual, he has made his choice and been allowed by the staff to post on here for some time about his alternate offering - He just needs to get on with it, time will tell us the outcome to this saga, but now it is time to move on - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the initial stages of creating the database we trawlled the information available publically and captured our own data to build a working database of some 2000+ entries. Only then did we announce it and ask for submissions.

And it would always remain FREE but once the submissions were made and you had the full database, you charge for it.

Had you started to charge when you first started, with 2000+ entries only, there could be no dispute. But would people have paid for around one third of the cameras? No, I don't think so.

I can only view it as an outsider looking in and think the biggest mistake made was to say it would always remain free and then make a 'U' turn.

That appears to have left a bitter taste in many ex/members mouthes.

It doesn't affect me one way or the other but I thought you may appreciate an unbiased view.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollocks. If 'unbiased', why continue to feed the fire? Rolling Eyes

Aitch
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:

The truth is it has left a bitter taste in SOME users mouths, most of which are neither members nor contributors. That's life. Some people are users, the rest of us are contributors.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why continue to feed the fire?

The thread is still open and I just added my bit.

It IS unbiased as I couldn't really give a toss one way or the other as it doesn't affect me personally, I was just adding my bit as I saw it having read through the posts. I wasn't trying to act as a judge and condemn anyone, I just balanced both sides views and picked up on a few points.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren Wrote:
Quote:
That's life. Some people are users, the rest of us are contributors.

Darren,

I live in the Warrington Area. All the cameras that I know of in my area are already in the database. Please let me know how to become a contributor instead of just a lowlife user. I don't like being in this group.

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
Darren Wrote:
Quote:
That's life. Some people are users, the rest of us are contributors.

Darren,

I live in the Warrington Area. All the cameras that I know of in my area are already in the database. Please let me know how to become a contributor instead of just a lowlife user. I don't like being in this group.

Dave

The reference was directed at those who were complaining, please do not take it personaly! But by all means keep your eyes pealed for local mobiles Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this comes down to people's feelings about what the 'Net is all about.
The idea that it was a place for the free dissemination of ideas and information was noble and remarkable. The fact that it is only recently that business has worked out how to make big money from it amazes me.

Out of that come two issues.
1) Most people would like to think that a "Forum" is exactly that: somewhere to discuss things. When that ideal is tainted by commercial interests, people shouldn't really be surprised, but can be expected to be disappointed. I am.
Having said that, in my opinion there is still a big difference between 'advertising' a rival commercial product and discussing an altruistic venture using only information that is in the public domain. PocketGPSW's attitude here stinks.

2) Again most people don't like it when other people go back on their word.
At no time has PocketGPSW expressed sorrow or regret that they have done exactly that by reneging on their "it will always remain free" promise. It also makes their "holier than thou" attitude about people re-selling the database on eBay rather unattractive.

I too would be very interested to know the truth about levels of support and discontent. How have pocketGPSW polled the majority (?) who download the database (and may or may not contribute) but who don't go anywhere near any forums? It is only recently that any mention of the impending charge was made on the actual download page.

Finally I can only add how my personal level of involvement in the whole project has changed. Since I bought my Go, every month I had sent in additions and corrections, including being asked by the compilers to double-check some discrepancies.
Since the charging issue has been raised, I downloaded but have not even bothered to install the January version and my list of new cameras for December never got sent in. I'm not saying this was done out of spite or anger, simply that my enthusiasm has been completely destroyed by PocketGPSW's handling of it all.

A great shame.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Finally I can only add how my personal level of involvement in the whole project has changed. Since I bought my Go, every month I had sent in additions and corrections, including being asked by the compilers to double-check some discrepancies.

So i take it you want be accepting your free Lifetime membership that you are entitled to.
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Lost_Property wrote:

The truth is it has left a bitter taste in SOME users mouths, most of which are neither members nor contributors. That's life. Some people are users, the rest of us are contributors.
True... I was one of those initally because of the lack of consideration to those that had contributed ( which I have not ) how ever you have addressed such points and will now and again pay for an update.

That been said I dont see why perhaps this can been talked about until its launched, may be even a link or news item to it.

Why ? It a) shows that there is no malice etc on the part of the mods, b) it gives people the option c) Shows what quality and confidence you belive your DB is.

AFTER this then you could stop all chat about it or open another subforum specifically for this.... you would be able to get new forum users and traffic.

Just a thought about a happy medium ....

Terran

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: