Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REQUEST FOR PERMISION TO SPEAK FREELY
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REQUEST FOR PERMISION TO SPEAK FREELY
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davejh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: REQUEST FOR PERMISION TO SPEAK FREELY Reply with quote

I would like to make a formal public request to the moderators of this forum for permission to speak freely about my new safety camera database project that will be subject to the terms of the GNU General Public Licence (GPL).
woodlands40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are given permission.
Everyone should have permission to speek freely as long as they are not offencive to the reader

good luck with your project
DaveW
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath waiting.

In reality they just want you to give up and go away, but IMO they won't tell you that directly.

The people who run Pocketgpsworld know that eventually this will all be forgotten. 'Members' will forget that Pocketgpsworld promised to maintain the camera database as a free resource and then went back on their word.

Ironically, they seem to have chosen their 'moment of greed' rather badly, given the recent change in legislation. The fact that local authorities will no longer gain financially from new cameras means that - all other things being equal - there will be less need for regular updates to the camera database than there has been for many years.

But that's no real consolation...
davejh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: New database that will be subject to the GNU General Public Reply with quote

As there has not been a reply from a moderator I will presume they have no objection to me opening a discussion on the subject of starting a new database that will be subject to the terms of the GNU General Public Licence (GPL).

The following is just a rough draft of ideas and should not be seen as what the end result will be. I am looking for ideas from other members and visitors of this forum who might be interested in getting involved. As this is the planning stage of this project all comments are welcome.

How will it work
With the help of a free membership system, members will be able to contribute to the database by uploading new safety camera locations and maintain existing safety camera locations using a web based application that will be accessible from any web enabled device such as a desktop/laptop computer, mobile phones and pda's.

All contributing members will be placed in groups based on their geographical location. Members will each have their own project page covering the geographical location of their group. From the project pages members will be able to upload, view, edit and delete their own safety camera location entry's in the database.

Each members project page can be viewed by other members who can submit new camera location entry's for approval to another members project page and request changes to another members existing entry's where they feel errors has been made or to make amendments. Members will also be able to collaborate on a project page in a different geographical group from their own.

Each new location will have a status pending flag until it has been confirmed by another member. After confirmation the flag will be removed which will enable the location to be maintained from the contributing members page.

The end result we hope will be a more accurate database based on collaboration and a check the checker philosophy.

When will the database be made available to download
When the majority membership are happy with the accuracy of the database it will be made available in format's that will be compatible with all gps satellite navigation applications that are capable of accepting customisable points of interest (POI’s).

The database, POI files and documentation will be subject to the GNU General Public Licence (GPL) and ownership of copyright will be shared by all contributing members regardless of their level of involvement.

There you have it. not a small undertaking by any means but certainly an acheivable one.

As part of the planning stage I have secured sourceforge.net membership for the project. This is great news as far as we will not experience any financial burden with regards to the bandwidth and hosting fees for the project.

Anyone who wants to get involved is most welcome.
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: New database that will be subject to the GNU General Pub Reply with quote

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
davejh wrote:

Anyone who wants to get involved is most welcome.

Thats a laugh. I have never received the validation/security email, so have never been able to log in.

Dan.

Dan - it worked ok for me a few minutes ago. Maybe just initial teething problems...
sirusman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Just worked for me no problems at all
Vic_Tina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for taking the initiative, have signed up and worked for me.

Now what do I do? Being non techie and all that! Laughing Out Loud 8O

Mio 168
TomTom 5.10
1GB Kingston SD card
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: REQUEST FOR PERMISION TO SPEAK FREELY Reply with quote

davejh wrote:
GNU General Public Licence (GPL).

Wouldn't this be better suited to the GNU Free Documentation License?

As for the license, how would you feel about someone selling your database?
davejh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: REQUEST FOR PERMISION TO SPEAK FREELY Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
davejh wrote:

Wouldn't this be better suited to the GNU Free Documentation License?

As the GFDL is designed to cover manual's, textbook's, and other functional and useful document's I don't think it would be suitable as file releases from the project may also include software which would be more suited to the GPL licence. That said, we can discuss this in the forum on the new site that should be up in a few days.

Skippy wrote:
davejh wrote:

As for the license, how would you feel about someone selling your database?

Well first of all it wouldn’t be my database it would be our database, and by that I mean the copyright would be jointly owned be all contributing members with the licence subject to the terms of the GPL.

If someone wants to sell it, then there is not much we can do about that other than to publicize the fact that our database is free and will be updated on a regular basis. We will need to make people aware that there would be any point buying the database off eBay or anywhere else as an updated database would probably be available a few days later free of charge.
allmen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have there been any further developements re the above
allmen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that's a "No" then--------
davejh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, please don't take the lack of updates to this thread to mean this project has been abandoned. On the contrary the project is very much alive and in the final stage of planning. You will appreciate that a project such as this takes time to plan and implement.

The great news is that I have secured sponsorship for a dedicated Linux server with unlimited bandwidth and a 100 MBit data transfer speed. This server will be used to host our website freegps.org and the all important database.

I was originally going to use source forge but as the new server has unlimited bandwidth and a 100 Mbit link there is no need to use source forge as the new server is more than adequate for our needs. This also means we are not restricted to what we can and cant do on the server, so good news all round.

Originally I was going to use the GPL License for the project but after careful thought I have decided against this and opted to use our own License based loosely on the GPL license.
The GPL license does not restrict a commercial organization from using the database for profit. Why should a commercial organization profit from our hard work. So the license will clearly state that the database is for personal use only. If a commercial organization wants to use our database they will need to pay a license fee. Any profits gained from the sale of commercial licenses will be distributed among contributing members.

The ownership of copyright of the database will be shared by all contributing members regardless of their level of involvement.

The following is an update to the first draft of ideas I posted further up this thread and should not be seen as an exact model of what the end result will be. I am looking for more ideas from other members and visitors of this forum who might be interested in getting involved. As this is the planning stage of this project all comments are welcome.

How will it work
With the help of a free membership system, members will be able to contribute to the database by uploading new safety camera locations and maintain existing safety camera locations using a web based application that will be accessible from any web enabled device such as a desktop/laptop computer, mobile phones and pda's.

All contributing members will be placed in groups based on their geographical location. Members will each have their own project page covering the geographical location of their group. From the project pages members will be able to upload, view, edit and delete their own safety camera location entry's in the database.

Each members project page can be viewed by other members who can submit new speed camera location entry's for approval to another members project page and request changes to another members existing entry's where they feel errors has been made or to make amendments. Members who frequently travel between other geographical locations will also be able to collaborate on a project page in a different geographical group from their own.

Each new location will have a status pending flag and will not be included in the database until it has been confirmed by another member. After confirmation the flag will be removed which will enable the location to be included in the database and maintained from the contributing members project page.

The end result we hope will be a more accurate database based on collaboration and a check the checker philosophy.

When will the database be made available to download
When the majority membership are happy with the accuracy of the database after testing it will be made available in format's that will be compatible with all gps satellite navigation applications that are capable of accepting customizable points of interest (POI’s). [/b]
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you will understand that there is a line between free speech and using our site and forums to promote your product.

I think we have been more than fair up till now in allowing you to post but enough is enough. If you wish to join in debates and discussions then you are welcome to do so. However if you wish to advertise a competing service then please do so elsewhere.

Any further posts discussing your alternative database will be removed or censored.
davejh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm sure you will understand that there is a line between free speech and using our site and forums to promote your product.

I think we have been more than fair up till now in allowing you to post but enough is enough. If you wish to join in debates and discussions then you are welcome to do so. However if you wish to advertise a competing service then please do so elsewhere.

Any further posts discussing your alternative database will be removed or censored.

I see no problem in a discussion about a free alternative database. There has been much interest in our plans from your own disgruntled members. but anyway I am not going to get into an argument about it. Our own forum will be up shortly so there will be no need to discuss this topic any further here. As for censorship and post removals, that would come as no surprise to anyone in these forums as this seems to be common practice at pocketgpsworld.com.

Darren wrote:
I think we have been more than fair up till now in allowing you to post but enough is enough.

Let others be the judge of that Darren.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed others will be the judge. Certainly you will quickly find the grass is rarely greener on the other side as can be seen by other efforts at alternatives.

I wish you well in your endeavours. We will continue with ours.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: