Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional Scandal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional Scandal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just come back off my Christmas holidays, switched on the Pc, visisted PWGPS and wow, straight in there!! I must say that I think the timing was pretty poor, announcing just before Christmas when people like myself would be away and therefore maybe not notice it upon our return.

That said, I travel upwards of 40, 000 business miles a year and have only recently got my company to partly reimburse me for my system, even though I have had it for 6 months. The information on the database is invaluable to me as I travel Countrywide, although mainly in the North, Midlands and Wales. At £2.00pm, I can easily "lose" that in the company's expenses system, but for £20.00pa, would there be a printable receipt? I believe I am entitled to free membership as I have contributed in the past, but even if I wasn't/ am not, I think that I am willing to pay the price for a little extra protection to my senses and driving licence.

That said, in a recent update cameras were incorrectly added to the database along a stretch of the A1 (now removed) which until the next update (one month) to be removed. On a commercial/ paid for database, these problems would have to be rectified much quicker IMO otherwise reliability and accuracy is likely to be questioned, once that happens, you begin the downwards spiral.

Regards

Mark
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fwor"]
D-N wrote:

In practice most of us are competent enough drivers to avoid getting caught out by big bright yellow Gatsos and are only likely to get 'done' by a copper hiding in a hedge, who isn't going to be in the database anyway.

Im glad you said that, cos that was a question i was going to ask, What about plods speed traps.

As us humans are creatures of habit they tend to be in the same place. I know locally to me they always sit in the same position. would it not be beneficial to have this for those known speed trap spots?

sorry if this has already been discussed at length.

Cheers

Mav
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm, new speed camera category needed perhaps?
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverickuk wrote:

As us humans are creatures of habit they tend to be in the same place. I know locally to me they always sit in the same position. would it not be beneficial to have this for those known speed trap spots?
Mav

Mav - I think there is already a category in the database called 'mobile', which I ~think~ is intended to mean that plod sometimes sets up a temporary speed trap there. There's one in the database that's near me, and I've never seen one there in the last couple of years, so it may not be too reliable.

If you're worried about the truly mobile hand-held devices then I guess the only option is a laser/radar detector such as a Snooper. These now often have their own built-in GPS database as well, so they give almost complete protection. These devices seem to be developing in the opposite direction to TomTom, Navman, Garmin, etc, in that they are now starting to sell laser/radar detectors which also do satnav...
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind paying for the database but to have introduced a system that rewards submitting information without being able to check it's accuracy is asking for trouble. If only a relatively small proportion of submissions are of this kind each month then the database will rapidly become useless.

This part of the proposal must be withdrawn asap before too much damage has been done.
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhb wrote:
I don't mind paying .

Now as a relative newcomer to GPS i guess i have no beef over having to pay for updates. This brings me to an interesting point. I came round our local one way system yesterday and came across one of those mobile vans with two cameras poking out of the back. Now as the proposal stands as i understand it when i submit it for inclusion this will entitle me to one months free download, correct? If thats the case do a wait and submit it in three months time to benefit me the most, or will it be done on a credit like basis, ie for a submission i get a download?

Cheers

Mav
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mav

Quote:
mobile vans with two cameras poking out of the back

That could well be ANPR and not speed cams.
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverickuk wrote:
mhb wrote:
I don't mind paying .

Now as a relative newcomer to GPS i guess i have no beef over having to pay for updates. This brings me to an interesting point. I came round our local one way system yesterday and came across one of those mobile vans with two cameras poking out of the back. Now as the proposal stands as i understand it when i submit it for inclusion this will entitle me to one months free download, correct? If thats the case do a wait and submit it in three months time to benefit me the most, or will it be done on a credit like basis, ie for a submission i get a download?

Cheers

Mav

Are we going to end up with 100's of false sites just so you get a free month?
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reply was not intentionally directed to Maverick, just a general observation. I drive along the M27 every day and I have never seen a mobile at some of the sites being reported.

Also I suspect many users will only download the database 1 or 2 times a year before holls etc if they have to pay for it.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverickuk wrote:
Quote:
I came round our local one way system yesterday and came across one of those mobile vans with two cameras poking out of the back. Now as the proposal stands as i understand it when i submit it for inclusion this will entitle me to one months free download, correct?

Darren Wrote:
Quote:
* Subscription extended free for one month if you report just one previously unreported static speed camera position. Multiple cameras = multiple free months. (Must consequently be verified by PocketGPSWorld.com.)
* Subscription extended free for one month if you report just one previously unreported deleted static speed camera position. Multiple cameras = multiple free months.(Must consequently be verified by PocketGPSWorld.com.)

Notice in Darrens post it states specifically STATIC cameras. I didn't see anything about mobile cameras.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33061

Regards

Dave
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrocompass wrote:

That could well be ANPR and not speed cams.

No def speed camera, in suffolk they have spanking new vans all sign written with safety camera all over them.

Ako wrote:

Notice in Darrens post it states specifically STATIC cameras. I didn't see anything about mobile cameras.

One presumes then that the information is not required then......

Regards

Mav
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With reference to a post somewhere above in page three about getting a laser/radar detector, ill let you decide after telling you this. It takes a third of a second for a laser to lock on and get a speed reading of your vehicle and usually by the time the detector has bleeped the copper has all the evidence he needs. There are times you could pick up scatter from cars being targeted ahead, but really all these laser detectors tell you is that you have a ticket coming in the post.
jpkeates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many forum members does it take to change a Lightbulb?

Old, but suddenly seemed relevant..

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpkeates wrote:

Loved it!

Laughing
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metroace wrote:
jpkeates wrote:

Loved it!

Laughing

Me Too

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: