Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 300 questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 300 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightAzul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Nuvi 300 questions Reply with quote

Hi All,

This is my first post, great forum! :D

I bagged a Nuvi 300 yesterday and am in the process of testing it out. This was after returning a TomTom Go 300 due to poor reception through my car's athermic windscreen. The Nuvi has no such problem and acquires satallites really quickly.

First impression is that this baby rocks. Small in size, stylish, etc. Some questions/comment after playing around with the unit, would appreciate any help on these ...

* Is there any way to configure the alert sound for speed camera custom POI's? It only goes off once and is not that instrusive. Can I at least get it to go off continuously by setting the speed limit to zero?

* What is the max size for BMP's for custom POI's on the Nuvi. I tried with a 22 x 22 B&W BMP and it didn't seem to work. Just shows a dot instead of my carefully drawn traffic camera! Anyone got a decent BMP for cameras that they can share?

* There seems to be a little lag between where I am and my position on the Nuvi map. I have the firmware version 2.10. So I'll try updating to 2.40 to see if the situation improves. I have zoom such that I could see the POI's on the map.

* At least here in Spain, the TomTom maps are much better than the v8 Garmin maps.

That's all for now.
KnightAzul
KnightAzul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one got one of these Nuvi's then??!!

What is the max size for BMP's for custom POI's on the Nuvi. I tried with a 22 x 22 B&W BMP and it didn't seem to work. Just shows a dot instead of my carefully drawn traffic camera! Neither did 16 x 16 B&W BMP.

Perhaps there is a problem with the Nuvi and custom BMPs?

KnightAzul
KnightAzul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I figured it out (and it was in the Garmin FAQ Embarassed )

BMP needs to be 16 or 32 bit colour. I was using 2 colour B&W.

KnightAzul
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let us know if the images work?? as for the tone it will go off continualy untill you reach the safe speed not over the speed set i have put all the separate speeded zones in eg 20 30 etc my unit come with v 2.40 software im not allowed to play with it any more its for christmas thats what she said Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
KnightAzul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images work fine, just converted the BMP to have 4 colours and worked like a charm.

"as for the tone it will go off continualy untill you reach the safe speed not over the speed set "

Not convinced. I set the speed alert to 0 km/h and still it only went off once. Will keep trying various configurations.

KnightAzul
KnightAzul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, got it working now. :D :D

I set the speed alert to 10 km/h instead of 0 km/h and it goes off repeatidly until you are past the camera.

However, the alert sound is really quiet and doesn't really alert you! They could not have made it softer ...

KnightAzul
Rob500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: POI Bitmaps Reply with quote

I'm confused about how to get the bitmaps to work with the Nuvi POI Loader. Can somebody who has done this say where you have to put the bitmap files for them to be picked up? The part of the manual that is confusing me is whether it is the POI Loader that picks up the bitmaps or the Nuvi itself.

In answer to other posts - on my Nuvi I get a double tone when nearing a POI (speed camera) and then a soft single chime that repeats until I slow down to below the speed set in the CSV file.
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put all the files you need into one folder bmp etc then transfer the lot in one go via the poi loader make sure they have the correct names eg gatso30bmp gatso30csv Wink
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: More Nuvi 300 questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

Am interested in buying a Nuvi 300 (much cheaper than the 350), but was wondering if I can install the text to speech voices?

Also, I own a cf que with city select v7 full european maps. Does anyone know if they can be installed onto the Nuvi 300? Saves me spending another 150 quid on maps I already own!

Thanks.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: More Nuvi 300 questions Reply with quote

Tosty wrote:
Am interested in buying a Nuvi 300 (much cheaper than the 350), but was wondering if I can install the text to speech voices?

I don't think you can. It does seem to be more of a marketing limitation than a physical one though so maybe someone will hack it so you can install them.

As for City Select, Garmin will allow you to unlock it for up to two GPS units owned by you. My gut feeling is that it will probably work (people say they have done it with the i3) but double check Garmin them that you can unlock it and that it's compatible (the new maps are "NT" maps I don't know how they differ).
Rob500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told by Garmin's technical support that TTS is not available on the Nuvi 300 because they have to pay royalties for the Text To Speech voices and they have not chosen to make them available as chargable upgrades.

However, some people who bought a Nuvi 300 found that when they upgraded the Software Version the TTS voice was added to the menus. Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case for people who bought the 300 recently but it does prove that all you need is the voice file and there is no technical reason why you can't have TTS on the 300.

It seems ridiculous that Garmin won't sell you an upgrade! I did say this to their technical support staff and they admited that they had received a lot of calls about it! Perhaps the answer is for lots of people to complain.
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. Will give Garmin a call about the maps. The TTS voices - assuming they are the same - can be downloaded from the Streetpilot C340 download page on Garmin's website. Might have to do some more investigation!
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke with Garmin tech support. They said that the City Select Europe V7 maps would not work. The maps need to be NT versions. Apparently to do with how the map data is compressed. A new version of mapsource would not help, as the underlying data is different. Shame, looks like I'll have to start saving for the 350. Now if it had bluetooth hands free like the Tomtom Go's, I'd have bought it already!
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the tts i tryed the one off the garmin website couldnt get it to work ??? any one else any good....
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They told me that the voices wouldn't work. But then they would say that, wouldn't they!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: