Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman Sleeve (Quick Fix) AntiStatic bag
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman Sleeve (Quick Fix) AntiStatic bag
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onbashi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman Sleeve (Quick Fix) AntiStatic bag Reply with quote

Is anyone else using this quick fix?

If you are, we would all like to hear your comments on it...

Many Thanks.
egslav8r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman Sleeve (Quick Fix) AntiStatic bag Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by Darren on 10 August 2003

I'll take some photographs and post a news item calling on Navman owners everywhere to try this out.

Darren: Did you take the photos and can i find the article in the archive??

EGSLAV8R
egslav8r
Occasional Visitor

Onbashi:

No I havent tried yet, looking for an antistatic bag, I'll go see the systmes guys at work & of course will post the results.

I probably will be interested in a GRIB though - Whats the target price??.

I have been using my Navman in a Mondeo on a Handnav Bracket but feel the sleeve needs to be nearer to the windscreen to improve reception.   Any views on this....Anyone....?????

I have switched the unit to a ram mount/closer to the screen to see if I get any improvement.( My mondeo does have the heated front screen.

Has anyone tried modifying the navman unit to take an external aerial? I see the 3450 has an external socket.

Generally, I have been dissapointed with the Navman, it always seems to go off line at the most critical time and re-aquisition can take a long time.

EGSLAV8R
onbashi
Regular Visitor

I have produced a ready made filter, it is being tested at the moment(looking good so far), Navman dont appear to be interested, so if I do go ahead with it I will plan on marketing the product myself, but I will say that I will probably only have about 1000 made to see how well they go.

I'm calling it the GPS RF Interference Blocker(GRIB), hope you like it!

egslav8r, has the fix worked for you?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

No, I haven't spoken to Navman regarding the above.
egslav8r
Occasional Visitor

Onbashi:

Have you made any progress with your potential source for the supply of Navman Signal Optimisation Devices??

Dave Burrows: Have Navman commented on this fix??

EGSLAV8R
onbashi
Regular Visitor

Some new info for anti-static bag users,

I have done some more test and have noticed that it seems to work better with the shinney side of the foil facing the ipaq,

Good luck...
onbashi
Regular Visitor

If possible can others try this with thier 3450's and let me know how they get on?

Thanks....
onbashi
Regular Visitor

Good news!

This quick fix does actually help with the 3450, especially with the already fast reacquisition times, it appears to have shaved off a second and TTFF's seem to be a little sharper. So it looks like 3450 users do benefit a little after all, sorry for doubting you sfi1 Laughing Out Loud!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Yes photos taken but not uploaded yet. Will be posted later this week once.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

I have now given up on the aluminium tape. My first test result must have been a fluke.
onbashi
Regular Visitor

I agree, I have had the same results, very mixed!, I am very pleased with the anti-static fix upto now. I've done some research regarding rfi and found out that aluminium foil is only good at reducing rfi over 90db, dont know why but under this amount has no or very little effect and could make it take longer to fix.

I will be testing different amounts of layers of anti-static foil to see what works better, and will try it on a 3450 if i get one
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

I may have reported too soon about success with aluminium tape. Further testing now shows it to be not as good as the anti-static bag! Testing continues, but without further information on the subject I feel that I can only do one TTFF test a day.
onbashi
Regular Visitor

thats a good question, i think that the reciever retains its info for about an hour when detached from the ipaq, but i could be wrong.

i've tried it, but found that anti static foil worked better for me, maybe i never tested it thoroughly enough, i will give it another go when i get a chance
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

I found a roll of sticky-backed aluminium tape in Maplins to-day. The shelf sticker suggested an appropriate use was for screening cases. A double layer of overlapping strips works very well for me.

I'm a bit confused about the minimum time the sleeve and Ipaq should be disconnected before you can consider that you are timing a cold fix. Separate the 2 units, soft reset, and then wait how long?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: