Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Contracts,

I am watching and you're not talking to a wall! Laughing Out Loud.

I had my N70 flashed to V3, but the guy said his software couldn't remove the orange bar Sad Although phone seems a bit faster though.

I've tried everything you have. I've even used the NCTLite tool to reset the BT77 to factory. No difference. I then looked around the forums and have changed the NMEA data stream to the same of TomTom's official GPS stream.

Now, it works slightly more reliably IF the BT77 is paired via Nokia's bluetooth setup AND it's set to hidden AND renamed to 'TomTom Wireless GPS' AND then reboot the phone. It has just said 'No GPS device' two or three times, but now it seems stable, but this is stationery. Going out in a bit soon.

Let us know how you get on. Anyone else tried various NMEA settings?

Jon
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there jon29

Thank god for that. I was beginning to sound like the wife. "No one ever listen's to me" Laughing

Well I'm almost to frightened to say this so I'm going to whisper. I know it's only early days yet (in fact about 12 hours) but since using my newly delivered genuine TomTom GPS receiver, I have never failed to get a connection, much quicker to connect, much quicker getting a fix on the sat's. Have tried every combination of switching off too. Sometimes the GPS on first, othertimes TomTom and the same when switching off.

So far without a hitch. Could this be the answer to my prayers Question
Lets hope so, otherwise it'll be a long walk off a short plank!!
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a new theory and some thoughts....

Recently got an N70 and get the same GPS issue of losing GPS device after "random periods". Or are they random.

I "upgraded" TT5 Nav to the mobile version earlier this week and can get anything from 5-150 minutes of TT running before a problem. Some testing done in my office at home.

I have a Navman NT GPS receiver by the way and an old firmware for the N70 but won't flash to v3+ until I understand it is worth it (see comment below).

So:

(1) Can this forum think of a way to check what GPS receiver, version of TTM5, and which N70 firmware people are using where there are problems or now problems. I think there's a lot of permutations here.

(2) TT5M lost the GPS device just after the phone decided the battery was full after 40 min.... phone beeped and when I looke GPS connection lst but was keeping an eye on it every few minutes. Tried to close BT and phone reset. Then after reset with TT5 it ran for 2.5 hours until I accidently turned off whilst swapping profile via power button (doh). So have yet to prove this. But what is N70 doing at the point of a full battery? Could it mess-up the BT stack because the N70 though it was still connected to the GPS device.

(3) Are TT GPS units all okay. For about £88 I'd buy one if it sorted problems, especially as they are SirfIII.

Could (2) above match the "random" stability of the product? And later firmware fix some of this?

* Upgraded from TT5 Navigator so flashing has a risk of an upgrade failure. And that means sending phone away and probability is high a reconditioned unit returned... and TTCode I have will not work. And I officially have TT 5 Nav so hard to argue my phone was replaced under warranty when TT think I have an iPAQ.
jon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contracts - nice one, it seems on other forums too that the official GPS is the most reliable so far. Where and how much for the unit? What you going to do with your BT77?

rtj70 - interesting comments, I guess your GPS isn't SirfStar3? Have you done any more testing? To upgrade your phone, use Nokia's Authorised centre's that can be found on their website: www.nokia.co.uk
You could wait further, as V5 is around, but not everywhere yet.

Just found this from another forum by chads20:

"I have an N70 (v2 firmware) & tomtom + a BT77 Gps from ebay. I have done lot of experimenting and it does work ok but only if you follow the following tips.
1. Always reboot the phone before starting tomtom.
2. Dont pair the gps with the phone, just start tomtom then go to show gps status and configure to find gps then when it says "searching for bluetooth devices" just turn the gps on and let it set up.
3. Dont turn on poi's - they are the main reason it loses gps signal.

Maybe after v3 upgrade poi's may work but i am happy without them, it gets me from a to b everytime and it is a superb bit of kit."

Jon
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jon29
I got the TT GPS from Ebay and inc postage it cost me £80. There are several sellers on there knocking it out for around that price. A guy at work is interested in the BT-77.

And glad to say, all is still working well this morning. Just got back from a short trip where it has been perfect.

So far so good Smile Smile Smile
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a little more testing at home with the charging theory. Second time I tried it the phone lost GPS just after battery full message - no more than say 10 seconds. But tried later in the car and it lost GPS when still charging and didn't when battery full. Hmm. There goes that idea.

There's a Nokia Service Centre no more than a mile from me. Waiting for my club nokia ID number (lost mine after joining 5 years ago). But knowing there's a risk of the phone dying (engineer in the local centre said one had just failed to start-up after a flash) I might wait for v5 firmware.

Would want to persuade the engineer to do it on the same day rather than waiting a few days. But if a centre have a Nokia 8800 in, it takes priority of all other 'lower spec' phones and they had one in the other day. Apparently all phones are meant to be dismantled before they flash them too... Question

Also wondering whether it's my Navman BT 4410 receiver that's partly to blame. Cannot pare it because passcode is 'navman' I think.
tiggybear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: n70 tomtom reset Reply with quote

I have also been having this problem after upgrading my phone from a Nokia 6680 to a new N70.
I did notice that the TomTom didn't fail when there was not a route planned which might add weight to the above mention of the phones memory buffer not emptying.
However I reset the TomTom to factory setting (nil effect) and then reset the N70 to factory defaults after 5-mins the phone rebooted itself but then it worked for over an hour on my way home (I turned it off, it never shut down).
I'm using a Holox GPS receiver.

Whay does none of this technology ever just simply work :x
jon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers contracts, just seen a few on ebay. Today on a short journey, the BT77 worked fine... Confused...going to keep the BT77 for a bit longer and see if there is a solution...! I don't know if the eBay seller would take it back now...only a week or two old.

rtj70 - when you do update your phone, update us. When I got mine done, the guy done it there and then in 15 minutes - top service, highly recommend Essex Cellular Telephones.
Have you checked Navman's site for passcode? Maybe there is a numeric one?

tiggybear - did you try all different methods, etc, mentioned in other posts? Which Holox have you got?

Jon
jimmy2faces
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Annoyed Reply with quote

I can't even get a signal to the gps. Being at the crashing stage would be a bonus. I am on firmeware v2 so will try and get that updated, but Should I still be able toget somewhere to begin with?

Think I may just put it on ebay. so angry :x
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon99. If I knew when v5 firmware was available I'd wait. The bloke in the nearest service centre suggested I tried to get the phone swapped for one with newer firmware. But having thought about it I'd then have to get TomTom to allow me to activate another device.... and technically I own TomTom Navigator 5. Worried it can die and end up with another from Nokia anyway.

As for the Navman passcode, the website definately says NAVMAN. But then people suggest not allowing TT to pair the device anyway.

If I knew everyone was having more luck with the TomTom BT system, I'd happily buy one. I tried a simple GPS application from a website to rule out TomTom and that dropped the BT connection too... :-(
jon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible for me to use the BT77 without pairing...hopefully same for you with your Navman.

Think I may have sussed it witht he BT77...I hope I don't jinx it...but it seems 95% reliable if my profile is on SILENT. It dropped out once on a short journey but came back in seconds. Never was like this before. Can you all try it out, with the BT77?

Jon
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my phone to a Nokia Service Centre and left it with them. It has now failed the firmware update and has to be sent back to Nokia. Oh well, as long as I get the new firmware soon. Still disappointed though.

Apparently Nokia Service Centres (not the High Level ones) can only flash the newer phones like 6680, N70, etc. via a USB cable. Nokia supply a flash harness for other phones but don't supply for the later ones. Wonder why.

My phone was a Vodafone branded one. Wonder if that makes a difference for flashing success/failure rates?
on-nick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Update on my current experience and resume of situation Reply with quote

Further to my previous comments etc

3 weeks ago phone on V2...... firmware & pocket GPS speed camera POI's (the individual ones) - very poor, many crashes

2 weeks ago - Phone flashed to V3....... was more stable, but kept crashing (still with multi POI's)

By the way Phone cycling onto / off charge - with firmware V3..... no apparent issues.

This week....

I have sort of adopted the process stated eleswhere (and on simply symbian)

Deleted multi speed camera POI's
Installed the single file version (now all cameras lock and warn the same)
Disabled all POI's
Enabled warn POI's for speed cameras only

Then each use I have

Delete paring with GPS
Re-boot phone
Turned on the GPS & left to aquire satelites
Manually pair GPS with phone (BT phone module)
- ensure that GPS code entered, and set pairing to auto
Started Tom Tom

----

Close TT before switching off GPS
Delete gps pairing etc.

So far it has worked, over 4.5 hrs over 3 journeys, with phone going on / off charge, and even past locations which have previously always resulted in a crash.

Please try the above and prove it works....

PS....

TT have now officially told me that if I use 3rd party POI's, or ones created myself using TT, that it can (quote) "make a lot of disorder in the system".

SO there you have it, the closest admission yet that there is maybe a bug in TT which affects the stability of the system.
3g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Ref N70 Update Reply with quote

My phone also appeared to have died when it was flashed. However, there are several buttons you need to press at the same time when this happens (requires 2 people) to boot it back up.

It looks like your centre did not know how to do this.

I have tested TomTom again and again. The problem is without doubt the bluetooth connection NOT TomTom. If it were TomTom on its own i would not get problems with my bluetooth when TomTom is not even working.

Nokia will come out with a fix and when i know an update is on its way i will let all concerned here know.
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did know what to try to get it booted again. So did I when I went to collect the memory card. It would not restart - I asked to try myself just in case. Fingers crossed and the main Nokia service centre has an even newer firmware. but will be disappointed if it comes back the same level as before.

If someone else needs to know the key presses, I believe it is: Answer/Send + '3' + '*' whilst it boots up. You hold until it says restarting or something like that anyway. I don't think my phone got sent today so might go back again to double check it cannot be revived before they do send it.

I cannot help think it's mainly the phone and a bit of TomTom. I ran another simple GPS program and that also failed with problems with BT GPS. But I notice the phone when running TomTom can use 100% CPU at times and maybe some other event occuring at the same time results in BT failing?? I've noticed it has happened changing cells and also when the battery full alert appears. Could it be a badly handled (non maskable?) interrupt by Symbian OS 8.1 when the CPU is flat out.

In fact, as an early user/follower of TT 3 Navigator that was unstable with POI on iPAQ 2210. Even with newer 3.03 release it could be flaky. I researched and found the iPAQ 2210 had a poor implementation of an SD interface and some memory cards (even some Sandisk) performed poorly. I bought a fast CF card and all BT drop-outs went away. Advised others of the same and their problems went away too. This is all deja vu.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 11 of 25

Jump to: