Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP Discontinue Flagship hx4700 PocketPC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Discontinue Flagship hx4700 PocketPC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alistairwat50n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HP IPAQ 4700 Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
alistairwat50n wrote:
I am a real newby to this field and would appreciate any thoughts on going ahead and buying a 4700 anyway – is it likely prices will drop much as a result of this news, will support and accessories dry up?

It's still a good PDA but unless prices fall significantly i would caution against investing in one. Dell have a nice VGA model that may be worthy of consideration as an alternative.

Many thanks, I'll look into it.

Cheers.

Alistair
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big-al-13 wrote:
i would hope they at least keep giving back up and support also up grades because if they don't any potential buyer for its replacement might think twice and buy from the competitors

Well I wouldn't hold your breath, as soon as it is discontinued the support will go too, they've done it before and will do it again.
Denis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im a newby to all this and only bought mine two weeks ago Embarassed bu I find that the large screen is just great for GPS useand am just getting used to the rest of the stuff on it.What a shock when I read this
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well despite lack of support I still have an old 3870 that is still in use, my 2210 is still in very regular use, and of course my 4700. Just because a unit is discontinued does not mean it is obsolete.

You will still be able to have it repaired if needs be, and even without the WM2005 update the 4700 is still a machine to be reckoned with.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Whatever comes after the 4700 better have more available memory - as that is the significant limiting factor at the moment, how about 256MB as a starter for a top of the range unit in this day and age

The key reason behind no current device having 256Mb memory is a thing called the '72 hour rule', part of the Pocket PC specification which means that the battery must be capable of retaining the contents of the device memory for 72 hours from the point at which the device says "battery dead". Current battery design means that to retain 256Mb or more of dynamic memory the device would have to be much bigger, or have a battery life of about a minute. Windows Mobile 5.0 supports 'persistent storage' which doesn't require battery to keep contents, hence devices designed for WM5.0 can have larger memory capacity.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: HP IPAQ 4700 Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
alistairwat50n wrote:
I am a real newby to this field and would appreciate any thoughts on going ahead and buying a 4700 anyway – is it likely prices will drop much as a result of this news, will support and accessories dry up?

It's still a good PDA but unless prices fall significantly i would caution against investing in one. Dell have a nice VGA model that may be worthy of consideration as an alternative.

There's also the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720, pretty much the same specification as the 4700 and a little smaller. When I bought our 4700 test machine, I later found out that the 720 is also slightly less expensive.
Meester-Martinho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: HP Discontinue Flagship hx4700 PocketPC Reply with quote

Apparantly this is a mistake on HP's web page

Darren wrote:
pocketgpsworld.comIn a surprising announcement, HP are now listing their flagship hx4700 PocketPC as 'discontinued'. This will come as a shock to those who had thought this would remain their top line product for some time. HP recently announced that a promised WM5.0 upgrade for this unit would not now appear until summer 2006 but the announcement that the hx4700 is now a discontinued model may throw doubt on whether an upgrade will ever appear.

There is no news of a replacement as yet, HP may have a WM5.0 version waiting in the wings but there is no evidence that this is the case to date.

Click here to see HP's announcement...
alistairwat50n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: HP IPAQ 4700 Reply with quote

trafcam wrote:
Darren wrote:
alistairwat50n wrote:

There's also the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720, pretty much the same specification as the 4700 and a little smaller. When I bought our 4700 test machine, I later found out that the 720 is also slightly less expensive.

Many thanks, I'll add it to the list.

Cheers

Alistair
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well turn out to be a mistake but it's causing huge consternation and if it is an error then they ought to have corrected the error and issued an explanation by now. They haven't.
alistairwat50n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenGourlay wrote:
I have been advised by HP that is is a mistake on their site and that the 4700 will not be disconnected until mid next year.

I know I would be much happier if HP put out a press release correcting what after all is thier mistake - any chance?

Alistair
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been advised from within HP that it was a mistake and the unit will not be going end of life untill mid 06, everyone makes mistakes.
alistairwat50n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenGourlay wrote:
We have been advised from within HP that it was a mistake and the unit will not be going end of life untill mid 06, everyone makes mistakes.

Thanks for your persistance, I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it. I've just joined PGPSW and find everything I read of considerable interest.

As a result of this little kerfuffle I've looked at the Dell & Fujitsu alternatives & will probably stick with the HP IPAQ 4700. The main reason, it seems to be very well supported with a large choice of mounts and receivers.

Once again, many thanks.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenGourlay wrote:

Absolutely, mistakes are a fact of life but almost every PocketPC website and Usenet group has reported this and yet HP still haven't pulled the page or issued an announcement to clarify the error.
Meester-Martinho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
StevenGourlay wrote:

Absolutely, mistakes are a fact of life but almost every PocketPC website and Usenet group has reported this and yet HP still haven't pulled the page or issued an announcement to clarify the error.

Maybe its a scam to clear some accessories

Smile
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i know what your are saying, i have been told its a fault with the backend, will see if they change it as they are alot of sites indicating the same.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: