Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Navigon Update Reply with quote

I needed to install my Navigon software in a new PDA. I got lucky. Navigon had issued version 5.1 patch in July and an updated UK map set on 26 Sep 05.

The new map set has amended a road near me and now includes speed limit zones. A quick check however shows that at least half the zones are not in the database and some that are are in error - a 30 zone inside a 40 zone not listed - a 30 zone that stops down a 'no through road' does not stop.

The 5.1 patch is necessary to display these speed zones. You can set zone warning speeds at 0, +5, +10 etc. When in the zone a speed limit sign appears. If you exceed the limit an exclam appears.

I am not sure what the mechanism is for warning people that there are updated maps except frequently visiting their site.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Navigon Update Reply with quote

Roy124 wrote:
I needed to install my Navigon software in a new PDA. I got lucky. Navigon had issued version 5.1 patch in July and an updated UK map set on 26 Sep 05.

There is nothing to say on there web site that the map for the UK is new, I downloaded a new UK map on the 1st August 2005, are you saying that the map there now is a different version again ?
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe the map is a new version that replaces the Apr 05 version.

You log in and then drill your way to the UK clever map update. The downloaded file is 123,064,726.

You just might have the same map as I suspect the map date changes with the download date. I had to do a reload and it changed the date to 29 Sep. Check your native file size.

Incidentally, having bought a card reader for 1p (p&p £5.79 <g>) off eBay, I find managing my storage card contents directly on the computer is the way to go.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy124 wrote:
The downloaded file is 123,064,726

Yes that's the same size file when I look in the properties, but I must admit that I don't use Navigon 5 as it is just so slow on my setup, still prefer to use Navigon 4.2, but again I purchased TomTom 5 and to me there is no comparison in the performance, TT5 knocks spots of Navigon.
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I bought navigon because Medion were slow to respond to my map update request and navigon had an affordable product.

I was intrinsically against TomTom as it looked a bit like Microsoft and I was not sure it would work with my Medion setup. A year back all the kit seemed to be hardware centred.

Now, like with PCs they have learnt that the real money is in software.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: