Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gizmondo announce their navigation application.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gizmondo announce their navigation application.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Gizmondo announce their navigation application. Reply with quote

Way back in March at CeBIT we saw the Gizmondo running TomTom as a demo of the capabilities of device. At the time it was just a demo and no deal had been signed.

Last week Gizmondo finally announced their navigation application and this is confirmed as ALK CoPilot. The application is a customised version of CoPilot allowing the software to utilise the hardware features of the Gizmondo.

Highlighted features of the software include map data from NavTeq, full UK postcode selections, and pre-loaded Speed Camera POIs.

Priced at £99.00 for existing Gizmondo owners or from £199.00 for new users this is the first navigation application for the evolutionary device.

Needless to say we will be approaching Gizmondo for a review sample...

Gizmondo Press Release wrote:

Tiger Telematics’ Gizmondo™ Maps Out New Functionality

Award-winning CoPilot software advances Gizmondo’s functionality repertoire and delivers amazing sub £200 Satellite Navigation package

LONDON, 30th August 2005 – Gizmondo Europe Ltd subsidiary of Jacksonville, Florida-based Tiger Telematics Inc (other OTC, TGTL) today confirmed a deal with leading developer of navigation and mapping solutions, ALK Technologies Ltd., for its satellite navigation application, Gizmondo Navigator™ 2006 powered by CoPilot®, to be released on the Gizmondo multi-entertainment handheld.

The Gizmondo with its inbuilt soft-signal GPS hardware developed by SiRF® is already known for its comprehensive and unique range of functionality, including next-generation handheld gaming, MP3 and MPEG4 playback, messaging, and digital camera, has extended its repertoire to incorporate this eagerly anticipated turn-by-turn navigation application for use in car and on foot.

Gizmondo Navigator 2006, supplied by region on SD (Secure Digital) card, provides the user with powerful trip calculation and extremely detailed street maps, allowing satellite navigation to a specific house number, full UK post code, street or one of thousands of points of interest in fantastic 3D or 2D, complete with turn-by-turn voice instructions.

The award-winning CoPilot software, customised specifically for Gizmondo, will also plan routes in advance, calculate the best new route if a turn is missed, and divert around hold ups at the touch of a button. Customers can use the product in-car or to find their way on-foot. Throughout its 25-year history, ALK has been a leader in advancing the state of the art in transportation technology. In Europe, the system incorporates the highest-quality, premium street-level map data and extensive points of interest database from NAVTEQ, as used by the majority of automotive OEMs in their in-dash systems.

Gizmondo Navigator 2006 will be available for Gizmondo for the UK priced at £99 and the whole of Europe for £199 from 30th September. An in-car cradle and car charger will be available for use with the new software priced at £29.99.

Gizmondo Navigator 2006 will also be bundled with the Smart Adds-enabled Gizmondo in a special Satellite Navigation pack for £199, available from selected retailers.

Michael Kornhauser, Managing Director, ALK Technologies Ltd, says: “ALK’s navigation and routing technology has been developed, enhanced, and refined over the past 25 years, and our CoPilot software is recognised worldwide as one of the most advanced and user-friendly satellite navigation packages available. Coupling our software expertise with this exciting piece of entertainment technology provides the end user with the best of both worlds; an advanced satellite navigation application, and entertainment wherever the road takes you.”

Carl Freer, co-founder and Chairman, Tiger Telematics, says: “The inclusion of ALK’s satellite navigation software to Gizmondo’s already bulging entertainment-based functionality, accentuates the practical side of this powerful and versatile piece of mobile technology. Compelling price-points and attractive bundling options will also allow us to develop new retailer initiatives whilst making this extremely desirable application accessible to much wider demographic.”

Gizmondo is powered by Microsoft Windows CE advanced real-time operating system, boasting a 2.8-inch TFT colour screen with a Samsung ARM9 400Mhz processor and incorporates the GoForce 3D 4500 NVIDIA graphics accelerator. It provides cutting-edge gaming, multimedia messaging, an MP3 music player, Mpeg4 movie playing capability, a digital camera and a GPRS network link to allow wide-area network gaming. Additionally, it contains a GPS chip for location-based services, is equipped with Bluetooth for use in multi-player gaming and accepts SD and MMC card accessories.

ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an email off Maplins this morning looks like they will be stocking them...

Link here
Paul
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered one to add to my growing collection of Sat-Navs CoPilot
With optional car mount and car charger it was just under £250 so not qualify for voucher discount Crying or Very sad
Ah but I needed some super glue Laughing Out Loud... which took me just over the £250 and allowed me to use a £10 voucher but I am lead to believe you can use upto £25 vouchers. that is if you don't instantly delete the mailshots without noting the voucher numbers.

Ok now where's this Bassingstoke in Hampshire sounds like a nice meet Smile best get mi Lats & Lons sorted

Regards
MiniDish
CamerAlert on Galaxy S2
Wife 4 backup
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used this yet? I'd be curious to hear how other applications on the device work as well.
gregb49
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
Has anyone used this yet? I'd be curious to hear how other applications on the device work as well.
I've just posted a similar reply at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=29523&highlight=gizmondoYes, we are just starting a long term test on this. It has only been used locally so far, but first impressions are that it is excellent. It can be easily attached to the windscreen and then dropped into a small pocket when you leave the car. It also sends and receives SMS, MMS (email to come), has bluetooth but only for use between units at the moment and has a camera, which is surprisingly good. In the UK it comes with a p-a-y-g SIM card for vodaphone and I assume something similar in Washington as the GPRS is an integral piece of equipment. You also have contacts, currency converter, calculator, MP3, WMV playback and other facilities as well as its ability to play games.

The screen has gained from its development as a movie and game player. First impressions review is at
http://uksatnavltd.com/product_reviews_info.php/products_id/72/reviews_id/14
I'm having to use a Navman mod RB2 mount (Navman + 2 rubber bands!) at the moment until the screen mount becomes available which is in the usual 'any day' time scale. Greg
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome! Thanks for the URL, greg.

I don't suppose anyone tested it for gaming yet (another interest of mine)
gregb49
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
I don't suppose anyone tested it for gaming yet (another interest of mine)
Not me but do look at the gizmondo forums. I'm not quite up with the language Surprised , Colossal Cave was the last game I played (in Fortran!) With its fast processor, great graphics and good resolution, I imagine it is a good gamer's consol. It has a quality, solid feel to the case and controls, as well. As you can tell, it has impressed me. My NavMan is in the glove compartment at the moment! It's coming with me to Washington next year! Greg
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool

what are you coming to DC for?
gregb49
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
what are you coming to DC for?
We have some unrelated business in Williamsburg and Morgansville to attend to in the Spring. Last time we were there, Apr 05, it seemed that no one was selling SatNavs, and I did look for dealers. Many SatNavs were either built in units in cars or added to rentals. Is this still the case?

We got totally lost getting out of Dullas airport as there were no 'centre ville', Washington, North, South or any such obvious signs or even signs to the interstate, so after about 30 minutes, we stopped somewhere that wasn't on our map, unpacked our NavMan and were away 5 mins later. If any one is a first time visitor from UK, I very strongly recommend that you take a SatNav or hire one. Also remember that Washington DC straddles 3 states, so make sure you have the right state maps loaded (we had only 2 out of 3, as we found out later to our cost!!!!) Greg

Giz in local map view - hope you can make out the red pin, which is where I was stopped at the time

Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i see, thats pretty sharp. Nice work with the rubber bands.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: