Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How accurate is the indicated speed?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How accurate is the indicated speed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c2rm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: How accurate is the indicated speed? Reply with quote

Quick question for all you experts out there - running TT5 on an IPAQ4150 and have the acreen set to show me my speed. But, how accurate is it? If TT5 is indicating 70MPH will the motorway police pull me over or if it is showing 40MPH will the GATOS flash? etc etc etc

Any advice/opinion or fact grateful received :D

Thanks
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are travelling at a constant speed for several seconds on a flat road and in a straight line, with a good satelite fix then the GPS will typically give a speed reading which is accurate to 0.1 MPH

If your speed is changing then the speed indicated by the GPS will lag behind reality.

If you are going around a corner or up/down hill then the GPS will read slightly slow.

A car speedo will typically read 0-10% fast to allow for manufacturing tolerances, tyre wear, different brands/types of tyre etc.

The Police have special speedos calibrated in 1 mph increments and accurate to 1 mph so don't try and suggest to them that their speedo was reading fast. Wink
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a resident expert and I can't give you a solid answer other than it is believed your speedo is set to indicate you are going faster than you actually are. There is a big mobile screen thing near my house and it tells you your speed as you come down the road. My speedo read 32mph, while the gps and the screen read 28 so I am slightly inclined to agree.

Read this for more info http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=27003
c2rm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. It is as I suspected but I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't some deliberate error programmed into TT to try and keep people's speed down. :D :D
Masked-Marauder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a calibrated speedometer at work and TTN5 is accurate, at least with my BT GPS unit anyway.
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather from the thread I linked to it seems that a speedo can legally read higher than the actual speed you are going, but it can in no uncertain terms read under causing you to inadvertantly break the law.

I have been told that the police/speed cameras give you 10% leeway due to speedo inaccuracies, however a guy from my old work got stung in Preston twice in a few weeks doing 31mph and 32mph in a 30 zone so don't take that as gospal.
Masked-Marauder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:

I have been told that the police/speed cameras give you 10% leeway due to speedo inaccuracies, however a guy from my old work got stung in Preston twice in a few weeks doing 31mph and 32mph in a 30 zone so don't take that as gospal.

The Ass of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) guidelines are 10% + 2mph as the prosecution threshold, so in a 30mph zone, 34 mph no prosecution, 35mph and your ticketed.

BUT they are only a guide, and the vocal minority are currently screaming that speeding is speeding an no lee-way should be allowed. Some forces, faced with falling revenue streams, are now adopting this approach.
Masked-Marauder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masked-Marauder wrote:
tomo1340 wrote:

The (Association) of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) guidelines are 10% + 2mph as the prosecution threshold, so in a 30mph zone, 34 mph no prosecution, 35mph and your ticketed.

BUT they are only a guide, and the vocal minority are currently screaming that speeding is speeding an no lee-way should be allowed. Some forces, faced with falling revenue streams, are now adopting this approach.

Wow, how anal, censored for saying ass! That Megan ad was on TV this afternoon, how did it go?

Oh yes, "I see you baby, shaking that ass, shaking that ass, I see you baby, shaking that ass, shaking that ass!"

Is this an American board?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has censored you because you got the spelling wrong. It should be arse. Laughing
Masked-Marauder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

! I never realised it was arse!
aengus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Skippy"]
The Police have special speedos calibrated in 1 mph increments and accurate to 1 mph so don't try and suggest to them that [b]their[/b] speedo was reading fast. Wink [/quote]

ah, but you CAN ask when their speedo was last calibrated, as this may have a bearing on possible prosecution/defense strategy.... could also P them off somewhat and remove any leeway they might have been willing to show you

regards
Masked-Marauder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aengus wrote:
Skippy wrote:

The Police have special speedos calibrated in 1 mph increments and accurate to 1 mph so don't try and suggest to them that their speedo was reading fast. Wink

ah, but you CAN ask when their speedo was last calibrated, as this may have a bearing on possible prosecution/defense strategy.... could also P them off somewhat and remove any leeway they might have been willing to show you

regards

The police will seldom if ever prosecute with evidence from a callibrated speedometer, it will most likely be VASCAR and PolicePilot both of which are calibrated at the start and end of every shift using a marked and measured mile.
martint123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's if they can use a tape measure correctly :P

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/news/tm_objectid=15889033%26method=full%26siteid=66633-name_page.html

PC Hughes said he and his partner have to calibrate the device every day and had done so that morning.

He said they calibrated the machine on a stretch of road which he believed to be exactly half a mile long.

On several occasions, he and his colleague had used a 150ft length of steel tape to confirm the distance was exactly half a mile.

But he said each time the measurement had been 26.4 lengths of the steel tape RodMcKenzie, defending, told thecourt that wasnearer to three quarters of a mile, rendering the calibration totally wrong.
Masked-Marauder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martint123 wrote:

On several occasions, he and his colleague had used a 150ft length of steel tape to confirm the distance was exactly half a mile.

But he said each time the measurement had been 26.4 lengths of the steel tape RodMcKenzie, defending, told thecourt that wasnearer to three quarters of a mile, rendering the calibration totally wrong.
[/i]

Actually the distance that 26.4 x 150 = is exactly 3/4 of a mile.
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masked-Marauder wrote:
tomo1340 wrote:

The of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) guidelines are 10% + 2mph as the prosecution threshold, so in a 30mph zone, 34 mph no prosecution, 35mph and your ticketed.

Warwickshire police have set all their 30 mph cameras to exactly that. I was "offered" a place on a speed awareness 1 day course...no points..but the course costs £60. No course attendance =£60+3 points. Only available for up to 34 mph offences, and some people on the course had only done 31 mph!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

And i have a bloody origin that i hadn't downloaded a new database on for a couple weeks.

Oh, and the GPS can't keep up with me a Santa Pod raceway. It's about 10 mph behind in the 1/4 Laughing Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: