Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom post second quarter results.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom post second quarter results.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: TomTom post second quarter results. Reply with quote

TomTom posted their second quarter results a couple of days ago. As expected the company is doing spectacularly well. The forecast is for the revenue to triple this year.

TomTom has 188M Euro cash on the balance sheet with no debt.

The interesting figures come in the number of units sold in the first 6 months of this year: TomTom GOs 262,000 units and PDA/SmartPhone 111,000 units.

You can listen to a presentation of the results by clicking here

A summary of the report is:
Extract from TomTom Press Release wrote:
Financial highlights:
• Revenue of € 114.8 million, up 221% on the prior year and 73% on the previous quarter
• 262,000 integrated units shipped, up 143% on the previous quarter
• Net profit of € 22.1 million, up 306% on the prior year, and 61% on the previous quarter
• Fully diluted EPS of € 0.20 for the quarter

Operational highlights:
• Three new GO products, the GO 300, the GO 500, and the GO 700 launched
• TomTom Plus, real-time location based services offering launched
• European deals for the Toyota Aygo and Opel Corsa
• Expansion into Australia and further broadening of European distribution
• Cooperation with AVIS announced Outlook
• Full year 2005: revenues expected to at least triple compared to 2004, with a broadly similar operating margin as 2004

Key figures Q2 2005 Q2 2004 (in € millions) (unaudited)
Revenue 114.8 35.8
Operating profit 27.0 8.6
Net profit 22.1 5.4
EPS – fully diluted (€ per share) 0.20 0.05

Click here for the full TomTom press release.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the writing on the wall for PDA based development?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that PDA based development will continue, but from the looks of things the main area of growth is in the Personal Navigation Device channel. This is not surprising as the GO and it's competitors become mainstream consumer products. People dont want the hassle of a PDA, a GPS, the power, the mount etc. Plug it in and off you go is the model for this market, and in that respect TomTom have got it right.

I would suspect that the market for PDA navigation systems will grow slowly if at all, whilst the PND market will continue to boom. It is still a largely untapped marketplace with 96% of cars in Europe and 98% of cars in the USA not having a navigation system, that is a potential market of over 400M users.

Now that TomTom have moved to Navigator 5 for the PDA as well as the rest of the product range I ecpect that we will see versions for the PDA in the future as it all derives from the same core navigation engine and is not a separate development.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Mike

I'm not one that gets overly upset about map errors, I've yet to see a printed map, OS included, that's 100% accurate. As long as the rerouting is fast I can live with the relatively few errors I encounter.

However I feel a little concerned that the annoying operational errors with PDA's may continue, with the common platform being developed for integral units, and ported over to PDAs and mobiles without adequate modification. Do you feel that the launch problems with TTN5 for PDAs may have been a result of this?

When you have your meeting, I think one of the most interesting questions would be Nej's query as to the release of the >NET SDK, and TomTom's attitude to third party developers

Malcolm
Locko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Nice.... Reply with quote

Good luck them, they provide a good product, the amount of times I've relied on Tom Tom it's proved invaluable...

Locko

If you drive you need to see this...
http://www.uk-driving-secrets.com/?afl=16204
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

TomTom GOs 262,000 units and PDA/SmartPhone 111,000 units.

THis is great news for the TTG's and I love my one, however I suspect on the PDA's side it is being hit badly on the piracy side whch is keeping the sales lower. Unfortunately no way to tell but I had expected PDA versions to be outselling the TTG's.

Tals
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the piracy bit and how hard it is to activate via TomTom a pirated version. My big problem, and the reason I've now got a Go 300, is the PDA version was just not reliable enough. I first had TomTom with an ipaq 2210 which worked like a charm then I got a 4700 and could never get it to work. TomTom said wait for ver 5 - still doesn't work so back it went. The Go 300 is a dream to use - it just works like it should. With the next version of Windows Mobile just around the corner it must be hard for TomTom to keep up and support every PDA with all the different hardware configurations. I don't blame TomTom for the problems I had with my 4700 as such, I blame them for raising my expectations that it would work.
And with the Uk government looking at GPS based road pricing TomTom could have an even rosier future if it gets in on that early enough.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: