Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Galileo Concession to be Shared!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Galileo Concession to be Shared!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire61 wrote:
Sad just bought a satnav 520 just wondered is this going to be obselete
because of this new satalite or will the yanks come up with a better gps one hope i have not wasted my money looks a good satnav the 520 so far not got lost and have downloaded the speed cameras works great

Fear not. The current US Navstar constellation will still be operational and it's going to be some years before the Galileo network is active by which time current units will be obsolete anyway!
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
SimonCatlin wrote:
Although with SIRF Star III some receivers can utilise 20 channels but you are still + or - 1 metre even with this.

And any mention of 20 or 30 channels is pure marketing BS as it's impossible to see more than 12 from any one point on earth!

That is of course unless additional sattelites were added to the system, which in view of the potentially superior European system, could this be a way that the GPS accuracy could be improved?

I do wish the Americans concerned would put their brains in gear before opening their mouths. If they did 'take them out', can you immagine the consequences if there is Chinese involvement!
SatNavNews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galileo can only be good for all us using SatNav!
SatNavNews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
SimonCatlin wrote:
Although with SIRF Star III some receivers can utilise 20 channels but you are still + or - 1 metre even with this.

And any mention of 20 or 30 channels is pure marketing BS as it's impossible to see more than 12 from any one point on earth!

Well I've received 14 so far, so I think that's a little inaccurate!

Editor,
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I for one will hate to be living in a country where my journeys are monitored - but to recover the cost of Galileo that's what will happen. And to everyone who thinks that's fair enough - who's to say that a few years down the line the information won't be used for entirely the wrong purposes. But the main purpose of Galileo has to be military and to help the EU become a world power. Whether we should be tying up with the Chinese in that is another issue - I don't love the Americans but I happen to feel we're a lot freer today because of them. I'd rather have the American version of freedom than the Chinese.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
Technically 3 gives you a fix (in the x and y plane). 4 gives you horizontal as well (z plane).

But other times you can have 3 or 4 sats and not have a reliable fix because they are all in the same area of the sky.
mb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wannabyourhero wrote:
well I for one will hate to be living in a country where my journeys are monitored - but to recover the cost of Galileo that's what will happen. And to everyone who thinks that's fair enough - who's to say that a few years down the line the information won't be used for entirely the wrong purposes. But the main purpose of Galileo has to be military and to help the EU become a world power. Whether we should be tying up with the Chinese in that is another issue - I don't love the Americans but I happen to feel we're a lot freer today because of them. I'd rather have the American version of freedom than the Chinese.

I am always very wary of spin from the EU. I get the impression that the French want a non-US system and are getting the EU to pay for it. They will specify Galileo for use with road toll systems and get an income from every vehicle in Europe.

I also find it hard to believe that the French military have not built in some way of reducing accuracy to other users if they should need to.

But perhaps I am just cynical.

MB
hoppo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Galileo Reply with quote

I think we are all now being 'taken for a ride' with the main reasons given for Galileo. I think there is no doubt that one of its major uses is for the control of vehicle use in the near future throuought the whole of the EU. Every vehicle will be required to have a GPS tracker fitted that cannot be disabled and each vehicle will be billed per mile. This has already been in the papers and the launch of the first satellite is the beginning. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING, 1984 a bit late? Perhaps the US proposals may be good for us!
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it would be classic if they ditched road duty and started charging us £3 a mile for the yanks to go and down the entire system over a tip off that Bin Laden is hiding in Dover Laughing Rolling Eyes
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeInLondon wrote:

I hope the new system will be able to transmit more then just positional data, for instance it would be nice if it could transmit data about traffic in the area surrounding your current position instead of the current system that rely on your unit needing to dial up a number by phone.

I don't understand that. The satellites don't know your current position, so how could they transmit data about the traffic in your area? This seems to propagate the (it seems) widely held view that 'the system' (as opposed to just your receiver) knows where you are!
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatNavNews wrote:
Darren wrote:
SimonCatlin wrote:

Well I've received 14 so far, so I think that's a little inaccurate!

Editor,

Perhaps you had a couple of WAAS/EGNOS sats in view.
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it will not be up and running for about 10 years - and in the lifetime of "technology" that equivalent to about 500 years for human.

The bit I really like about the new technology is the fact that they will be able to pinpoint the position of a car to within one metre and this will allow them to charge us every time we drive the car.

Technology is great, I love it!
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the Gallileo system was going to be compatible with GPS, and this was one reason why people were bringing out 20 channel receivers. As far as I know (and it sounds like I'm wrong) Gallileo said that the introduction of their system would be "seamless to existing GPS users". The bbc article also said that Gallileo satellites would "complement" the existing GPS satellites, which also implies they are compatible and form part of the same system. Have I got the wrong end of the stick then?
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Galileo FAQ on eu.int:

Quote:
Will existing GPS receivers be able to use GALILEO?
Negotiations with U.S. administration are currently focusing on the shared use of certain frequency bands. The future for the navigation receiver user should be seen in the combined GPS / GALILEO receiver that will be capable of computing signals from both contellations (GPS + Galileo). This will provide for the best possible performance, accuracy and reliability. However, since Galileo will not be available before 2008, current GPS-receivers will most probaly not be able to receive Galileo-signals. It remains to be seen if industry will be able to provide software-updates, for example. On the other hand, given the advance in technological development, today's GPS-receivers would probably anyway be outdated in 5 or 6 years from now. It should also be noted that, as GPS is foreseen to evolve, "old GPS-reveivers" will face the same difficulties with future upgraded GPS-signals.

(For an official website, their spelling/typing is quite bad!)
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplugged wrote:
Yeah it would be classic if they ditched road duty and started charging us £3 a mile for the yanks to go and down the entire system over a tip off that Bin Laden is hiding in Dover Laughing Rolling Eyes

ha, nice!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: