Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bug collection for TTN5.000(4890)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bug collection for TTN5.000(4890)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Bug collection for TTN5.000(4890) Reply with quote

This thread will be one place where bugs (and only bugs) are listed for TTN5. After each reply is evaluated and confirmed the item may be added to the list and the post will be removed. Any off topic remarks will be deleted too.

TomTom Navigator 5 bug list (build 4890)

- Premature secondary warning: TTN5 may advise to eg "turn right, then turn right" when the second turn is still very far away and there are other turn options before it.

- there is no underscore in the portrait soft keyboard, preventing users with underscores in their email address to access the Plus services. Workaround: switch to landscape temporarily

- Pocket PCs with hardware keyboard (QTek9090 etc) do not show the soft keyboard during navigation address entry.

- on VGA Pocket PCs TTN5 is causing a memory leak with program terminating after 20-40 minutes and/or the Pocket PC hanging on exiting TomTom, freezing for 5 and more minutes, or freezing at the safety screen while navigation continues. Workaround: Use ResHacker to set the TTN5 executable to not be Hi Res aware (delete the key named 2057 in CUEX -> HI_RES_AWARE)

- Navigator 5 locks up randomly when exiting, starting or defocussing the app . Soft reset required to recover.

- TTN5 may not restart after being exited. Sometimes when clicking on the TomTom icon on the Today screen it goes into TomTom other times nothing happens (including no red hands at the bottom of the screen). The only way to get it to run is to reset the machine.

- While running, TTN5 consumes nearly 100% of processor cycles. Programs running in the background becme unusable (media player etc). TTN5 also affects the OS reaction to hardware key presses. In 50% of the cases the key press event will not be relayed to the OS. Excessive processor usage also seems to cause rapid battery drain and/or very hot PDAs up to the point of failure.

- degraded GPS performance with the new GPS driver using both third-party and TomTom GPS hardware. Probably due to the higher processor load, but it is also possible this is caused by (unnecessary) initialisation attempts upon connection to the receiver.

- While running, TomTom does not respect the power save settings of the Pocket PC. It will keep the device switched on until the battery is completely drained. You will have to manually switch off your Pocket PC (or exit TomTom each time you interrupt navigation) to prevent that from happening. Backlight settings are respected.

- UK 7 digit PostCode will not work until there is a Tomtom folder on the storage card (even though it can be empty). The postcode file has to be in the ZIP folder on the storage card.

- Text lists (POIs, addresses, ports etc) appear in a font that is too big, and are cut thus off on the right. Workaround: tap and hold the text - this will show the complete string

- Itinerary planning can only be completed with a valid GPS signal present

- If navigating an itinerary with at least one waypoint and then during the journey choosing a point to Travel Via, all existing itinerary waypoints are discarded in favour of the new Travel Via waypoint.

- TTN5 overrides the OS Bluetooth settings and forces BT off after the program is exited. Fixed in 5.1(5160)

- TTN5 does not parse GSA sequences properly when all active sats are listed at the beginning of the sequence (instead of in sync with GSV). As a result the display says"0 Satellites" but the receiver actually has a fix and navigation works just fine.

- The POI Warning distance decreases by 1 every time you edit the same POI Category, e.g.: Set "pocketgps uk gatso 30" POI Category "Warn when closer than:" distance to 300 yards.
Reselect the same POI and the "Warn when closer than:" distance will now be 299 yards. The next time it will be 298 yards and so on.

- There is a problem with searching for POIs on various maps. Using any of the functions below to find a point of interest will result in an error: Navigate to Point of interest , to POI in city, Browse Map, Cursor position,Find nearby POI .The error is either "No POI found" or TTN5 crashes to the Today Screen. The problem will be found in different categories of POI, and in some cases with specific areas of the maps.
As an example, on the DE_CH_AT_CZ_PL map, if you centre on the town of Linz in Austria you will find no Petrol Stations, if you centre the map 30 km away the search returns Petrol Stations correctly. Same for Ferry terminals in France etc. This bug seems to occur mainly with hacked versions of build 4890. We advise against using these versions. Legitimate copies that still see this issue can use older POI.DAT files.

The poi.dat file for the Italia-Map is completely empty (only 8 bytes) Workaround: use an older POI.DAT file.

- Occasionally TomTom loses track of where it is, jumps to somewhere else on the map, then hops back to its real position. This can sometimes take long enough to trigger a recalculation.

- "No GPS Device" message on startup/restart when it should say "no GPS fix"

- No Contact integration on iPAQ 3970 running PPC2002

- POIs are shown with only the first letter capitalised, instead of the first letter of each word.

- On some PDAs with a badly written SD card driver if you start TTN5 (installed in main memory) with the PDA off using a hardware button, or switch the PDA off and back on while TTN5 is running, you may get the disclaimer screen up . This is because the map on the SD card can only be accessed after the operating system has mounted the card - that can take up to five seconds.

- When starting the install from a CD, you may get "Cannot create enough temporary space" or something like that. TomTom have posted a workaround for this: If you get this message when you attempt to install TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 Upgrade pack please follow these steps:
1. Remove the CD-rom from your CD-rom drive.
2. Click on Start, select Run and type %temp%, then press OK.
3. Select the file setup.exe and delete this file by tapping delete on your keyboard.
4. Insert your NAVIGATOR 5 Upgrade CD-rom into the CD-rom drive.
5. Now you can install your TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 Upgrade.

- There is no 'back' button when doing Navigate to POSTCODE. All of the other "Navigate to" screens (i.e Address, POI) have a 'back' button. But 'Postcode' simply says 'done'. This means that if you have gone into this screen unintentionally, you have to actually select a postcode to get to a screen where you can 'cancel'.

- the TomTom screen doesn't draw properly after you selected the BT device in the Connection Manager. The selection page stays visible until you tap anywhere on the page and then you find yourself on the menu screen and have to tap close to get back to the main screen.

- slow redrawing/position lag when user created POIs are visible. TTN5 will show the position you were in several seconds ago - hide custom POIs and it shows you where you are now. Workaround: Combine custom POI categories into fewer files and use MakeOV2.exe to compile.

- TTN5 keeps losing favourites and POI alert settings randomly, after map switching, after enabling/disabling some poi's categories, and after closing ttn5.
The cfg file is not set to read-only, and the sd card is not locked. Seems to be a timing issue with file i/o.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Last edited by lbendlin on Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:26 pm; edited 38 times in total
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to install BT gps as other wired and then having to link to BT port.This means that you have to wait for BT manager to start up after TTN5 starts to get a link even though the BT gps is paired

If the gps does not have a fix when you start TTN5 then it will take upto 20 mins to get a fix

After using Fugawi on same machine and getting instant fix cant then get a fix in TTN5 without doing a soft reset

When using without a route picked often it doesnt snap to road ,tends to show you over 20 feet off the road your on

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with a BT phone TTN5 comes up "no phone found" when selecting "call number" (phone is paired)
atherda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: o2 xdalli Reply with quote

TTN5 loads and works OK apart from Traffic, everytime traffic tries to update the xda freezes. The other internet functions such as weather and voice downloads work fine but traffic does not. I have tried with and without GPS connected, GPRS connection started before and after TTN5 started. Even done a hard reset to try and remove any conflicts, still no joy.
Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTN5 drops the itinerary you are on when you lose the GPS fix.
I_Need_Help
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow updating position while turning or driving round roundabouts, basically if it needs to rotate the map it is very slow to up date the position at the same time! In TTN3 as it was very good at following your position you could tell which exit to take by watching the track, not so with TTN5.
dionysus1975
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: o2 xdalli Reply with quote

Traffic works very strange. I've set the update interval to 2 minutes. Mostly in the beginning Traffic updates, but at a certain moment it doesn't update anymore. When using Navigator 3 and Traffic you see a bar at the bottom wiht the latest moment traffic has updated.
In Traffic 5 the first moment you can see it isn't updating anymore is when the green cirkle lost a pie.
AndyC_772
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Not sure whether this is a variant on one of the bugs already mentioned, but):

On my Dell X50v I have an Audiovox RTM-8000 GSM mobile phone CF card, which I use to access the traffic service. My Seidio car kit picks up a bit of electrical interference from the Audiovox card, so I can hear exactly when data is being transferred - usually a brief burst of activity every few minutes as expected.

At the weekend I did a long journey with TTN5 and traffic enabled; everything worked fine for about 1/2 an hour, but then the PDA froze - and there was continuous GSM activity. I reset the PDA, restarted TTN5 and traffic, and the same thing happened again after a similar amount of time.

Maybe a traffic update requires a bit of extra RAM and so it suffers from the memory leak described above? Or maybe if the connection to the traffic server fails then it can't reconnect and recover?
mikebuknl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andyd32 wrote:
If 'Link Volume to Car Speed' is turned on from within 'Change Preferences', 'Volume Preferences' the PDA is muted (no screen tap clicks), and voice directions stop.

After a soft reset, the voice directions may work once if you are lucky before stopping, but the direction is given after the turning!

Solution - turn off 'Link Volume to Car Speed' and all returns to normal.

This happens to mine too sometimes, I asked TT for support and they said TT5 is not supported on Axim X5, just the X3!

I also see "cannot execute ttgpsend.exe" most times the PPC comes out of hibernate. Best solution seems to be never to turn PPC on in car cradle ! Frustrating!
CLeav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the speedcam DB loaded and the warnings turned on. Problem I have is that a route must be planned for the POI warner to work. If no route planned speedcam warning. I have also tried removing the tick so I get warnings that are not on my route, this does not work either. Also if you turn the sounds off you also turn off the POI sounds.
paulbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 'Safety Screen' in portrait mode, if you have the compass displayed, it overwrites part of the 'Current Position' text. Haven't tried in Landscape mode.
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Connection to BT GPS lost in landscape mode Reply with quote

HP iPAQ 5550 with ROM v1.10.10 and Windows Mobile 2003 (CE 4.2)

If I then go into settings and change the screen orientation to landscape, TT loses its position and displays 'No GPS device!'. If I return the screen orientation to portrait then, after anything between a few seconds and a minute, normal GPS service is restored.
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUG:

Abysmal rerouting after missing a turn.

Speed settings for road classes wrong resulting in routing down low speed minor local roads when a dual carriageway is nearby (within 100 yards).

7 digit postcode only takes you to the road rather than the point on that road that the last two digits reference to.
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conor wrote:
BUG:

Abysmal rerouting after missing a turn..

I have noticed similar bad routing. I've been testing TT5 by using it to travel to work. I've found that on turning off from the recommended route TT can suggest a 4/5 mile detour along slow country roads whereas the shortest or fastest route would be the next turning. Sometimes this next turning (short route) is suggested.

When ignoring the suggested long route TT does not tell me to turn around so it must know the short route that I'm now travelling is the shortest or fastest and therefore the previously suggested long route must have been wrong.

I suspect that this behaviour may be something to do with the speed at which I'm travelling. The next turning option will be suggested if the new route calculation takes place x miles from the turning and the longer route will be suggested if I'm y miles from the turning (where y is marginally smaller than x). If this is the case TT is being far too optimistic about the distance I can travel before it calculates the new route and erroneously assumes that I would be past the next turning.

Perhaps this is the same problem as the premature voice instruction occurring when there could be half a mile to travel with alternative junctions before the one it actually wants you to take.
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add to the list that a number of us are experiencing degraded GPS sensitivity with the new GPS driver using both third-party and I believe TomTom GPS hardware. This was not a problem with any of the GPS drivers from TTN3.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: