Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Driver required to connect Garmin to PC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Driver required to connect Garmin to PC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Driver required to connect Garmin to PC? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have just received some leads from PC Mobile to connect my Geko201 to my desktop PC(This is the normal E type Garmin lead to a serial lead to go into COM1). Unfortunately I cant seem to get the PC to see the GPS device and was wondering if there are any drivers that I need to install onto the desktop PC first?

To try it out, I thought I would try it with some freeware called Track Maker from www.gpstm.com/ but the two devices still wouldnt talk to each other (The software cant see anything connected to the serial port).

Any ideas? Duff lead? Drivers required?

Thanks,

Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Driver required to connect Garmin to PC? Reply with quote

No driver is required.

Have you configured both the GPS and software correctly?

I do not know anything about Track Maker.

longwori
Regular Visitor

I think so, but to be honest I am new to this. Do you know how to check if it is communicating with the PC?. Are there any standard tests that I can run from Windows XP Home?

I am sure it is just my lack of knowledge - the leads seem to be very good quality so it is unlikely to be them.
longwori
Regular Visitor

I forgot to mention - my Geko is set to "Garmin" as the interface standard although I did also try NMEA.

I dont know if this helps at all?!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

It should be set to NMEA to drive a GPS app loaded on the PC and IIRC it should be set to GARMIN when uploading/downloading tracks and waypoint etc into Mapsource.
longwori
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your replies Daren and PC Mobile. The problem turned out to be a conflict with my Active Sync software for my Compaq. It seemed to be hogging the COM1 port and wouldnt allow the GPS software to get a look in. As soon as I unchecked the option to allow Active Sync to look as the serial ports, the problem went.

Thanks again,
mohd
Occasional Visitor

Hi longwori,

What is the code of the cable that you have got from pc_mobile ?

I have the same Geko 201 , and I am searching for a cable to can connect it to a serial port of my PC.

In this page, there is so many cables codes which I didn't understand:

http://pc-mobile.net/gps.htm

thanks.

Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Geko 201 uses Garmin E cable so the one you need is GE9SF.
Scholasticus
Occasional Visitor

I have a Geko 201 too, but I wanted to connect it to my IPAQ 3970 and have the Ipaq powered from the Cigarette lighter. Could you tell me which cable I need and also whether I could use the two away from the car using the same cable, or do I need another cable?

Thanks for your help.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

If you already have a in-car charger which terminates in the old 3600 cylinder jack plug then all you need to do is purchase the GE9SF for the Garmin end and a GQ38P which is the 3800/3900 iPAQ connector with power jack socket.

For the GE9SF goto this page and look for the GEQ38P. This includes the GEDC cable (Garmin) and GQ38P Garmin powered end. If you need an in-car charger also check out the CKUC which is down in the Power Accessories table.
Scholasticus
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your help, but I don't have the in-car charger which terminates in the old 3600 cylinder jack plug, but looking at the GlobalPositioningSystems web site from which I bought the Geko it has an accessory which might be what I need.

It is the "Memory Map eTrex/eMap Pocket PC adapter & 12v cable   (Part No. CAB005-5)" and it says that "Adapter cable to connect a Garmin eTrex / eMap to a standard Pocket PC serial interface cable (not supplied). The adapter cable includes a built-in null modem crossover and is fitted with a 9 pin Male D-Type connector so other connectors are not required. The cable also includes a 12v cigarette lighter plug to power your GPS."

Do you think this will work with my set-up or do I have to order something all the way from HongKong?

Thanks

mohd
Occasional Visitor

Thanks in advance Pc-Mobile.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: