Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Alturion GPS 6 Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Alturion GPS 6 Reviewed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Alturion GPS 6 Reviewed Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comPocketGPSWorld are please to announce the completion of the Alturion GPS 6 review. Alturion are well known on the continent and now sole UK Distributor EasyDevices have brought the UK version to our shores.

Available in a range of packages with options including RDS/TMC Traffic and Weather via an RDS/GPS, full PC Desktop functionality inclusing navigation, custom avoids, tracking and even map updates this is an extremely well specified package indeed.

Click here to read the full review.....

Last edited by Darren on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
GPSboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easydevices definately are NOT sole UK distributors. Resellers can buy Alturion from TotalPDA too...
peterweg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version does the review cover 6.0 or 6.1?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the review software to hand but it was fully updated using Alturion Update.

I can't confirm the version currently as the laptop I used died this week and has gone off for repair!
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any postcode support?
GPSboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not full pcodes but first 4 letters
When you're putting in a route, click on city and it changes the drop down to pcodes and use the Alturion keyboard to search

Although it doesn't seem to carry all the pcodes in my local area.....
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GPSBoy
CM4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT REVIEW! :D

So..let me get this right?

The PC version offers all the same features as the PDA version? 3D Views, TMC and navigation?

Is the front-end like the PDA Version too?

Just seems PERFECT for my Car PC!! :D :D :D If I've understood this right then do you have any screen shots?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, you have all the functionality and more, skinnable, TMC, tracking, weather etc. Just connect a GPS.

There are some screenshots in the desktop review section. All the additional windows (address lookup, POIs, tracking, weather etc) can be minimised to provide the largest possible map screen.

TMC and Weather data is obtained either via an Internet connection (WLAN, GPRS etc) or via the GPS/TMC Mouse which has its own built in FM RDS Data Receiver.

As a Car PC solution it would work well.
CM4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Wow!

Sounds perfect. (Getting excited now!) Smile

I saw the screen shots in the desktop review - but there doesn't seem to be any of 3D mode (which is very important to me) or of the desktop version actually being used to navigate. I assue these screens are like the PDA version? Would look great on my 7" screen!

Just needs Post Code support and the PocketGPS Safety Camera database for it to be even better!

Seems like a much better solution then Destinator 3 PC (which looks fantastic - but the routes are terrible) and InfoMap Navigator 4.3 which has no 3D view. I was looking at Co-Pilot Live laptop 8 but I don't think the UK version is out yet and its going to be expensive.

If only Tom Tom made a PC version! Laughing

So Darren, would you say you would TRUST the routing ability of this software to get you home if you were lost? Question
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laptop upon which I installed Alturion died at the end of the review with a dead backlight so is away for repair but due back imminently. As soon as I have it I'll grab some screenshots of it in navigation mode (should have done this before but it's such a big product that some things inevitable get overlooked!) and add them to the review.

Yes I woudl trust it to get me home but then I haven't found any that wouldn't albeit using a circuitous route! Alturion's routing is on a par with the best though so I'd be more than happy to rely on it.
CM4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answers Darren :D

If the software in desktop mode looks as good as it does PDA mode then its like Christmas come early for me!

Can't wait for the screenshots.

I had a look at the Easy Devices website - the software they sell doesn't come with the RDS/TMC Reciever - I assumed it would be an all-in-one package?
Will need to find a supplier that sells the TMC GPS too.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As explained in the review, Alturion are in the process of sorting the licence for UK TMC so this may explain the lack of the GPS/TMC receiver option currently, I'm sure that once the licence has been arranged they will offer that option Smile
markblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: cross contry routing Reply with quote

Hi:

After reading your review and being too impatient to wait for the new tomtom software I bought Alturion professional 6 to run on my HP4700 with a navman 4460 BT GPS mouse.

My previous system was a clie ux50 with navman smartST 2 via blue tooth and I had no end of problems with dropped bluetooth connections. Fortnately the PPC seems to not suffer from this problem.

Overall I am quite impressed with the software, but I have a couple of questions which alturion are yet to answer and wondered if you covered them in the review.

1. Using the desktop software, when I try to create a route that requires a ferry/rail link (e.g. canterbury to paris) on the desktop the software fails to produce a route. I assume that I have all the maps installed as I am selecting waypoints by right clicking on the roads in the map view. Did you attempt to create routes that crossed the channel and were they succesful?

2. When installing the pda application I have tried to install to the IPAQ file store and also to my 1GB SD card on the HP4700 using the custom optons in the alturion pda installer. Installation appears to work but the software hangs when I try to run it on the ipaq. Any ideas?. The software works fine when installed to RAM.

3. Are you abe to downoad TMC/RDS data for other countries using the web connection? I have tried and the softwre inorms we that my registration is incomplete. I have used alturion update to install the latest versions of all files so I presume my web registration with alturion was successful.

Any advice would be appreciated, alturion tech support seem v.slow.

regards

MArk
markblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hi:

I have received email from alturion support now. They blame the navteq mapdata for missing ferry routes. Cn anyone using a gps with navteq maps confirm this is the case.

After further testing it seems that the software will not route across any body of water either UK or rest of europe. e.g. belfast to lioverpool, isle of man to liverpool sicily to rome.

If anyone knows differetnly I would love to know what I am doing wrong.

Also, Alturion confirm that UK users cannot get TMC info (either european or UK) via the web.

Given the limitations, I am not sure I can recommend the pro version of this software. However, uk routing is on a par with other software I have used, though voice direction can be a bit idiosyncratic. As always, trust the map not the voice.

regards

MArk

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: