Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapsource MetroGuide Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapsource MetroGuide Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PegSneggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Mapsource MetroGuide Europe Reply with quote

I am almost a new user, about to buy the Garmin eTrex Legend Europe package. I am a road cyclist in the UK and I like to plan routes of about 100 miles on quiet roads.

Does the Mapsource MetroGuide Europe software satisfy my required level of detail? Is the 8Mb available in the Legend enough for my application? If you can filter what elements of the map are downloaded (to minimise RAM usage), then I am only interested in roads and villages, not places of interest, petrol stations etc.

Thanks in anticipation
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Mapsource MetroGuide Europe Reply with quote

In a word yes! MG Europe covers all A, B and many minor roads. You can't filter the seperate elements but you can limit the map area you download so 8mb for a 100 mile ride should be plenty. Roads & Recreation does not contain the address look up data so map segments are smaller and this may be a better option for your need.
obarnes
Occasional Visitor

Mapsource MG UK 'segments' are about 6.5 to 8mb each.

Check the online map viewer - http://www.garmin.co.uk/cartography/ to see the level of detail and segment area's.

Hope this helps.

- Oliver
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Bearing in mind that the chosen route might cover more than one segment, might not Roads and Rec be a better bet? The smaller segments mean greater selectivity is possible. Of course, the route planning of MetroGuide might also be a consideration.

obarnes
Occasional Visitor

R&R segments are approx 25 miles diagonally across and the majority are between 100 and 300kb in size so you could fit 'approx.' 40 segments on an 8mb card...

You can fit the whole South of England (below Gloucester but excl. Wales & London) on an 8mb card.

As Tim says you may be restricted with MG unless you like cycling in big squares

- Oliver.
PegSneggle
Occasional Visitor

Gentlemen

Thank you very much for all your help. I have now ordered my GPS and am looking forward to it arriving.

Your overpowering advice seemed to be that I should go for "Roads and Recreation", not "Metroguide".

Consequently I am buying "Metroguide". There is reason to this madness. Metroguide comes as part of a very reasonable package which includes machine, cable and Mapsource. There did not seem to be a similar package which included "Roads and Recreation". So I'll see how I get on and may have to buy the other eventually.

In the meantime, thanks again for all your help.

Best Wishes

Mike Wood

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: