Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Mobile 5 review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Mobile 5 review
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: TomTom Mobile 5 review Reply with quote

TomTom Mobile was first announced at CeBit 2004 in Hannover which would be based on TomTom's then flagship product TomTom GO based around the new core platform that would support GO, Mobile and Palm OS and soon to be Pocket PC.

Since then we've seen the new platform in operation on GO, Mobile and the new HP Navigation Kit.

TomTom Mobile contained a lot of features but also missed a lot like GO did when compared to previous versions of TomTom Navigator. Now TomTom have taken strides to address this in the new version which this review addresses, namely TomTom Mobile 5!

We have been playing with TomTom Mobile 5 for some time now and with the announcement of the full range of TomTom Navigator 5 range we can release the Full Product Review.

Click here for the review.
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, on every picture there is a nokia 6630 shown, however on official site and your page it is not listed as compatible handset.

is it possible to double check that?

cheers
Milan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Major Roads of Europe? Will they be included in the final package? Could you post a screenshot of Tomtom Mobile 5 running on a Nokia 9500/9300. I am curious how it looks on a device with a landscape screen!

Thank You and have fun at Cebit
madjid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ,any info about congestion charge ,I have not seen any info about it in TT ver 5 review?? is it included
flasher
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom is reported to be working on the nokia 6630

what has been a issue is the rsmmc as the 6630 uses a different voltage mmc card

using TomTom & CoPilot

Pocketgpsworld iphone cameralert app
flasher
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh forgot to post this in the above post....

do you know if existing customers will be able to upgrade to tomtom-mobile 5 without having to purchase the full gear again

basically....free software update/ small fee update.

also do you know if this version 5 will handle more custom POI enabled as current one suffers with double spoken instructions if too many cameras are added, so at the moment it a problem running the spped zoned database

would aslo be interesting if we could convert the poi from ov2 format into the .dat format as that would most likely solve the problem aswell.

using TomTom & CoPilot

Pocketgpsworld iphone cameralert app
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PocketGPS-CeBit wrote:
ramzez wrote:
hmm, on every picture there is a nokia 6630 shown, however on official site and your page it is not listed as compatible handset. is it possible to double check that?

Not sure about compatibility as this image was provided by TomTom, however, Nokia 6260, 6600 and 6670 are supported. Any idea what's different with 6630 ?

Milan wrote:
What about Major Roads of Europe? Will they be included in the final package? Could you post a screenshot of Tomtom Mobile 5 running on a Nokia 9500/9300. I am curious how it looks on a device with a landscape screen!

MRE will be available, currently we have been testing a UK only map and an MRE map. We don't have a Nokia 9300 / 9500 to test on so unfortunately no.

well, i tried using older version on 6630 and it worked. However there are two big differences:
Symbian 8.0
and Dual Voltage which i quite expensive and so far limited in size and also hard to find.
scrosland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: No UIQ support :( Reply with quote

I see that there is still no Symbian UIQ support for P910 and similar phones. Sad
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: TomTom Mobile 5 on Nokia 7710 Reply with quote

hi there.
I will be purchasing a Nokia 7710 soon then upgrading tomtom mobile to version 5.

Is there any pictures of tomtom mobile 5 running on the nokia 7710 as it will be touch-screen based like GO.

this could prove to be a cheaper alternative to TomTom GO 300,500,700.

What does think??

Cheers,
Chris
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the problem associated with POI and Traffic has been fixed? As soon as you enable Traffic on TTM all POI icons disappear from the map. TT said they are aware of this problem when I contacted them.
Milan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the 9500/9300 screenshots have a look here http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/viewarticle.php?id=163
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what can be a good alternative to TomTom mobile 5 ?
PeOpLeS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great review. I was strongly considering purchasing TT5, now i will 100%.

Is there any further news on a possible release date? and

Any idea on price ?

Smile

Tx guys
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No further news on release date or price. This will be announced nearer the time of release (probably after CeBit has finished and TomTom have returned to normality).
SL33PYH34D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: No UIQ support :( Reply with quote

scrosland wrote:
I see that there is still no Symbian UIQ support for P910 and similar phones. Sad

Not strictly true according to some forum postings @ Esato - both Route 66 and Tomtom have working versions that were shown running on UIQ although no official anouncement yet from Tomtom by the looks of things.
Personally wouldn't hold my breath on Tomtom as they demoed a 'working' version at Cebit 2004 which has yet to see the light of day.

Link to Esato

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: