Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 268, 269
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 268, 269
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shokat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Mio 268, 269 Reply with quote

I know this is a bit of topic but I have question.
I want to buy the MIO 268 / 269 and I'm hopeing some one can tell me if the TOM TOM NAVIGATOR 3 program will work on them?

And if it will, then how would you install it (I mean do you install the program and the maps on to the SD card?)

Most grateful for any help, as I don’t know dam about these things
Thanks
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Mio 269 information Reply with quote

Hi,

Have been using a MIO 269 for a couple of weeks now. some observations and thoughts.

Operating system is windows CE so not customisable to install your own software, although Mio Map is okay most of the time - you can send Mp3 files to the unit or an installed SD card which plays well and has a number of features to amend EQ settings etc

Re the mapping and Navigation. The Software is a little slow to boot up but the sensitivity of the GPS is incredible - I got 6 satellites sat in my lounge with no clear view of the sky and it gets signals when inside some buildings. Routing is ok and quick to adjust if you take an alternative route.Dynamic zoom of the screen is quick and at the right scale, and the spoken directions are clear and loud from the in built mic but connected to a car stereo they sound superb.

Waypoints are easiy handled and saving routes is straightforward. The remote control works well in all but live navigation mode where soetimes it does not respond - but works well in the list mode for setting up navigation details and amending menus and settings.

Night mode is really good and has ajustable brightness.

One irritation is that the unit cannot multi-task - so you cannot play MP3 files whilst navigating.

Contacts can only be downloaded not synced, which is annoyinging, as well as not bing able to reference the contacts list dynamically from within the routing software! - a major oversight.

Although some may be interested to see that Calander aps is available - it is not.

Finally the caar mount is secure and strong.

So far this is a great device[/list]
shokat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil
Can you tell me what the postcode searchs like and how meny can you enter (all 6 or 7) or is it only 3 digits.

Thanks.
andrewhockley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Connecting to car audio? Reply with quote

Having read the very few reviews on the Mio 269 that I could find, and read the specs and manuals it looks like it will do want I need, so have ordered one.

I'm curious to see a reference in the posts above to connecting to car audio - couldn't find anything in the manuals on this - how would I do this I wonder?

Thanks for an interesting forum
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: responses Reply with quote

Postcodes are in fact Postal Sector based but it then uses first line of address and House number to reference the coordinates. Not true postcodes.

Re the linking to the audio - I have used a Cassette adapter to plug in to the side of the Mio and also a 3.5mm jack straight in to the AUX audio input on the car stereo.

one final solution that I have also used is to buy a low level FM transmitter like the audia X to transmit a prefered free FM channel
tomo2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Mio 269 Reply with quote

Hia mate.

I have just ordered a Mia 269. How are you finding it now ?? I will be using it for europe in a couple of weeks time with the Mrs.

With regard to a postcode facility is the UK, what do you mean by Postal sector etc ?? Can you input a postcode to this nav ?? If not do you think I should re-think and purchase a different device ??

Hope u can help and advise ?

Tomo
Meester-Martinho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio 269 Reply with quote

you can input the first three or four digits of the post code

then the street name and number(or intersection)

tomo2005 wrote:
Hia mate.

I have just ordered a Mia 269. How are you finding it now ?? I will be using it for europe in a couple of weeks time with the Mrs.

With regard to a postcode facility is the UK, what do you mean by Postal sector etc ?? Can you input a postcode to this nav ?? If not do you think I should re-think and purchase a different device ??

Hope u can help and advise ?

Tomo
tomo2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Mio - the right choice ? Reply with quote

Folks,

Just purchased a mio 269 as I am off travelling europe next week for 3 months.

Tested the unit and it seems pretty good for the price at £399. Hard drive and full euro maps included (apparently).

What is bugging me is that certain reviews are very critical of this unit and say the navman and tomtomgo are much better. Well are they ??

There is a price difference / saving so surely the mio is a good purchase ? Is it there much different to the navman and tomtom - are they better ?? And if so what is better ??

Will consider a refund on the unit if the alternatives are significantly better !!

Advice appreciated

Tomo
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..yes the tom tom and navman are better units but as I have said before,E.S.L and a 2gig hard drive for under £400 is great value! You would have to pay considerably more for this on both the aforementioned product. You get the best you can afford and stick with it! Just a word about the return you were mentioning, you can't demand a refund on a product if you simply say you've changed your mind! It needs to be faulty and have this fault approved by Mio. Your local store will tell you more if you need info.
tomo2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Happy with the MIO Reply with quote

Bootruss,

I am going with the MIO.....................value for money as you say.

It will be invaluable on my trip around europe and its all there ready on the hard drive!.

What is it about some people moaning about a re-boot when crossing borders ?? At least you have not got the hassle of numerous SD cards !!

The points of interest admittedly are not the best in the world but for pure navigation purposes its no better or worse than any other unit.

I have already contacted Mio support and they are looking to add more POI's and speed camera detection on future software releases. Unfortunately they were unable to advise me of the cost when it becomes available. Estimated time of release is at the end of the year.

Well done Mio, a good device for an absolute bargain. Hard drive of 2.5gb and Mio were the first to offer this at an affordable price.

Tomtom 700 sounds great but that can be for another day eh and is not available yet for my travels so bring on the MIO !
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Mio 269 - Unlocking the true potential Reply with quote

The mio 269 can be unlocked to allow you to get back to the core operating system of windows 4.2. This works a treat and has allowed me to free up some space on the Hard drive bu deleting countries that I do not intend to use. This create a huge amount of space for different applications such as Speed Camara Software, Video player, games, book readers- in fact most standard windows mobile software works. I have personally done this over the weekend and have had success in running a Speed Nannying program in the car, Beta Player etc etc. This is all at no cost to the current functions of the device. You can also load new skins for the Navigation software which is a nice to have as well as modifying the spash screens etc.

This has suddenly become a star buy overnight as the unit can do so much more than it currently does - the Hard drive is the key to this, but Mio 268 owners can do the same, but are more limited with memory unless they have a large SD card.

How to do this is located at GPS Passion. The Skins plus other information is available at MioSkins Websight.

POI Warner at www.Navigating.de advise me that a Mio 269 Speed Camaera and other POI interface is on its way within a couple of weeks so watch the website!.

I am glad that I chose this over the Navman alternatives.
davidebt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Safety Camera Databases Reply with quote

Hope I'm using the forum correctly (brand new user). Have just bought a MIO 269 and very pleased with it.

Does anyone know of any safety cameraa database that can be downloaded to it? Help on where to find them and how to install them would be appreciated.
jas13272
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio 269 - Unlocking the true potential Reply with quote

NeilBennett wrote:
POI Warner at www.Navigating.de advise me that a Mio 269 Speed Camaera and other POI interface is on its way within a couple of weeks so watch the website!.

lets hope so.ive just bought the mio 268 because halfords said i would be able to upload the speed camera database,which obviously i cant.
And now they will only refund a faulty unit not one that works fine.

jason
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: POI on mio 268 269 Reply with quote

Poi like the safety camera database are possible if you are prepared to unlock your mio. I have successfully got the latest database showing on the mio using poiobserver and poibatcher from the mioskins websit- you need to do a few changes to thhe mio such as setting up a virtual comm port but this is easy . I used poiedit to save the file in a correct format then created the files for the mio A quick check of my local area shows the poi are in the right place when navigating, the last check is to see if I have managed to get the audible warning working - will let you know how I get on
jas13272
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive done the unlock bit,even that was a pain but luckily i have a card reader so putting things straight to the card sorted it.
Ive tried using the poiobserver but i get all confused with this virtual com port business and i dont know what file format the mio uses.
a one step program is needed then these machines will be able to show what they are capable of.

jason

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: