Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Firmware update for Mio 168 / PiN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware update for Mio 168 / PiN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Firmware update for Mio 168 / PiN Reply with quote

There appears to be a firmware update available for the Mio 168 / Navman PiN

Newer 168 units (mfd since Aug 04) are apparently SiRFxTrac ready and updating the firmware makes use of this.
The firmware revision is updated from:
version 2.3.2-GSW2-2.05.024-C1PROD1.0_6A
to:
version 2.4.12.09-XMitac-C4PROD2.00000003729*76

The update appears to improve time to aquire a fix and increases the number of satellites used for a 3D fix.
There are also reports of the date error being fixed although it may be too early to tell.

You can check which firmware version you have with this Firmware check tool then if required, apply the Firmware update

The above are available from www.mio168.it therefore details are in Italian but the programs are English.

This information is given in good faith so applying the update will be at your own risk.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unclear what the "date bug" referred to is - I'd be interested to hear what that is. If it's not in the GPS, this won't affect it, as the firmware talked about here is GPS firmware only. If it is in the GPS, I'd like to see if I can find it in other SiRF based GPSes.

The version numbers sound right for fairly recent GSW2 (standard SiRF) firmware (though apparently not quite as recent as that in my Clip On) and SiRF XTrac II firmware respectively. Be aware that there's advantages and disadvantages in making the change - especially as it sounds as if there's no way of going from XTrac back to GSW2 with the available files.

GSW2 has SBAS (WAAS / EGNOS etc.) support - XTrac II does not. It is true that XTrac tends to be able to get usable signals from more satellites, and can fix faster - but some have reported problems with it at walking speeds with XTrac II (XTrac 1 had lag problems in car, which don't appear to be in XTrac II).

It looks as if the firmware file may not be available any longer anyway.

David
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
I'm unclear what the "date bug" referred to is - I'd be interested to hear what that is.

Problem Description:
The Navman PiN / Mitac Mio 168 may report a GPS date approximately 20 years into the future. I.e. 2024/07/11

Suspected Cause:
The GPS Navigation Message does not contain a date in the generally accepted calendar format. Instead, it contains a field called the Transmission Week Number. Since this field consists of 10 bits, it can express a value from zero to 1023 inclusive, which represents a time period of 1024 52 or approximately 19.6 years. The first such period was defined as beginning on 6 Jan 1980 and we are currently in the second such period, which began on 22 Aug 1999.

Any GPS receiver must therefore depend on some source other than the GPS signal to establish the correct calendar date for presentation to the user, for example, in the NMEA $GPRMC sentence (see NMEA 0183 Standard for Interfacing Marine Electronic Devices). Many receivers use the software version date to establish the earliest possible reported calendar date.

There are indications that the problem lies in the hardware common to the Mitac Mio 168 incarnations, probably as previously suggested the Sirfstar chipset.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen that happen with either of my SiRFstar IIe/LP based receivers, though none run the precise GSW2 version mentioned in your post.

The GPS date is somewhat ambiguous as the problem description you've posted indicates. The problem will be with the GPS - but it's a firmware rather than hardware bug.

It may be interesting to see if the bug affects both SiRF binary and NMEA modes - but if it's not reliably reproducible, that makes such an experiment rather tricky.

SiRF do not offer technical information, including firmware release notes, to the public - nor is there any way of asking them technical questions about firmware versions unless you've got an established relationship with them.

David
UKHABU
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it certainly appears in the Navman Pin I have!

I have contacted Navman about this and they claim not to have heard about it before but I would suggest they are being economical with the truth as I personally know of 3 people who have had the same problem and told Navman about it.

But just by chance! they then said that if you apply SP2 then all will be OK - I had already installed SP2 on my NavmanPin/Mio 168 before I contacted Navman and it had no effect.

I was later told I had to de-install on PDA - re-install from the CD's and then re-apply SP2 - I haven't done this yet as it's a pain in the bum and I guess I will have to re-register at Navman. The normal installation of SmartST V2 is done from a dedicated SD card and registration is not neccesary. I was going to be a "do at Xmas job" but never goot around to it.
Not sure if this affects the PiN 300 with the SmartST V3 software though?

The incorrect date is displayed in both SmartST V2 and Memory Map OS 2004 - it DOES NOT affect any positional data just the UTC Date.

It is only GPS software that has this problem on the Pin as any other Pocket PC function like the Calendar is perfectly ok.
Navman Pin(Mitac Mio 168)
Navman SmartST Pro V2 & V3
Mitac Mio 558
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a discussion going on over at Expansys regarding this firmware update which apparently cures the incorrect date issue. It is evident on some PiN300's as they are the same hardware but with v3 software.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem reported is fairly clearly a bug in the GPS firmware from the description given.

The thread on Expansys is somewhat misleading. The firmware being talked about isn't XTrac ready - there's no such concept. The SiRFstar IIe/LP chipset is XTrac ready - it's XTrac if XTrac firmware is loaded and non-XTrac if GSW2 firwmare is loaded.

You therefore have a choice. XTrac firmware can use satellites with signals too weak for GSW2 firmware to use them, but it has no SBAS support, and may suffer weird 'artefacts' under some usage conditions.

It sounds like the particular GSW2 release used on Mio 168 (and rebadged) hardware has a bug in the handling of the GPS date. I haven't seen the problem in the (apparently very slightly later) GSW2 revision in my Clip On - though I can't be sure whether I've just been fortunate, or whether SiRF has fixed the bug in this version.

I would urge extreme caution in using what is not necessarily an official firmware release just to correct what is, for most people, a cosmetic bug. You may void your warranty, and if things go wrong with the firmware version change, you may land up unable to access the GPS hardware.

It looks like there may be two firmwares in the ZIP file, which is available again. The Expansys thread indicates that the other one is the GSW2 release originally supplied; so at least you appear to have the option of reverting.

David
Chrisw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Navman PIN and the date was 25 years ahead.I applied the new firmware and hey presto It now reads the correct date.
Kaiserfakir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Can't download firmware Reply with quote

I can't seem to download the firmware from the site (get a page cannot be found or error 404 message... I'm desperate for this firmware upgrade does anyone know how I can get a hold of it??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: