Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: DeLorme Earthmate Blue Logger
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: DeLorme Earthmate Blue Logger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the included utility does not appear to let you change SBAS, baud rate, NMEA\Sirf settings etc.

The Royaltek BlueGPS Manager is a full featured utility for their product. I am looking for third party options to give me the same control over the Blue Logger.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue Logger is a rebadged Leadtek LR9537. Therefore you have to use the standard Leadtek tools, or any other tool that can program the SiRF II chipset.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you. This is what I had in mind. Can anyone verify that Winfast Navigator does communicate with the Delorme Blue Logger? I want to make sure Delorme hasn't "locked out" non-Delorme utilities.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, works just fine.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! A final inquiry (for now): is there a WinXP utility to enable\disable SBAS on the Blue Logger?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None that I know of. You need a Pocket PC for that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
pumuky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BE CARE WITH THIS DEVICE

The warranty is ONLY 60 days. I know it because muy bluelogger stoped working at 3rd month and then tecnical service told me that the warranty had expired. Now I use de wonderfull Bluelogger GPS as a paperweight.

Greetings
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. We need to do better and routinely include this information in our reviews.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
tronec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: PROBLEM delorme Reply with quote

Hiya, im in the uk, and i ordered a blue logger gps, from usa, with us maps etc. I tried using tom tom, but it cant get a connection, even when yellow light on bluelogger is activated ie found satellites. can anyone please let me know which software i can use with the blue logger for uk mapping, so i can use the system, on my pda.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue Logger behaves like any other BT GPS. Find the outgoing serial port of your PocketPC (this can vary from COM4 to COM8) and set the protocol to NMEA 38400

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Tony123xyz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you opened up your Delorme BlueTooth GPS did you see another battery? I bought one before going on a trip to Europe so that I could make a complete GPS Log (GPLOG) of my trip. Following is my correspondence with Delorme.
+++++
I bought a Blue Logger GPS and it seemed to work fine in the USA. I took it on a 3 month tour of Europe and was unable to get it to work during
the entire trip. Now that I am back in the USA, it works again. While
traveling in Europe, I tried different time zones, Raw/Standard Data,
etc. but it would not collect data. It seems as if it should have at least
collected some raw data. I traveled North as far as North Londonderry
Ireland and as far South as Bressanone Italy and could not get it to
work at any of these locations. Should I have expected it to work in Europe?

It is also a REAL PAIN turning it on and off and keeping it on without
additional protection for the on/off button. Sometimes I find that the
only way to stop it is to remove the battery. When I put the batery back in, it is still on, but it does seem to do a reset of the software.
+++++
Thank you for contacting Delorme Technical Support. It should be
working work wide without issues. If it works in the US just fine, then
it would work in Europe as well. What behavior where you noticing in
Europe...was it not acquiring a fix, no power or just not logging any
points. If you have any further questions or issues, please reply to this email.
+++++
I do not know whether or not it acquired a fix. How do you tell? The problem was that it did not log any points. It seems like raw data should always be logged.
I also think that if it works in the USA it should work in Europe, but the fact remains that it did NO work in Europe. Have you tested it in Europe? If so, at what locations.
+++++
Thank you for contacting Delorme Technical Support. Other customers of ours have used it in Europe correctly…it should log points. It is possible the internal battery was not charge (it only charge if you charge the device while it is running)…this would account for the missing information…If you have any further questions or issues, please reply to this email.
++++++
I do not believe that your statement "(It only charge if you charge the device while it is running)" is correct. Anyway I have 2 batteries and I also charged them external from the GPS Unit some of the time. If it does not charge when the unit is not running you must have a battery with an exceptionally long usage time between charges or one that self charges overnight.
Since you did not answer my question, I can only assume that you have not tested it in Europe. When will you be testing it in Europe?
+++++
Thank you for contacting Delorme Technical Support. Other than your External removable battery…the device has an internal battery you cannot remove. This was the one I was talking about charging…it charges the memory for points and settings. When it depletes itself you will lose all of your points. I have talked to other customers…in varies places in the world…and they have not reported the issue you have experienced…I still think it is related to a depleted Internal battery…If you have any further questions or issues, please reply to this email.
Tony123xyz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Mapping Software Reply with quote

I tried Street maps and it did not seem to me that it would be of any value for traveling all around Western Europe, so I bought the Belkin Bluetooth GPS with European maps. I could only find it available on EBay. I experimented and found that it worked with my PDA and Laptop. I wanted all the maps of Europe available, so I bought a 2GB Compact Flash memory to use with my PDA. I loaded all the European maps on it, but it did not work. I decided to work with it on my Laptop to determine the problem. I found that if any of the files loaded onto my Laptop exceeded 512MB the software failed. I then loaded this size on my CF card, but the PDA software sitll failed. I reduced the size of any file to less than 128MB and it then worked. On my trip, I only took the Delorme BT logger and not the Belkin GPS. I have over 15000 miles of driving experience with Delorme GPS receivers in the USA and no problems. When the Delorme GPS did not work, I was unable to use my PDA. I also brought along on the trip Microsoft AutoRoute which I also only found available on EBay. I had used this program for planning the routes for my trip. I also had problems with the Microsoft GPS. When I did not change the Time Zone on my Laptop to the local Zone, the GPS never got a fix. With the time Zone set correctly, I still had the following problems. When I was at Latitudes further North than Bonn, the fixes were so few and far between that I was unable to depend on the GPS. Between Bonn and Munich, fixes were useable, but I could not really depend on it. South of Munich I got good fixes most of the time. It seemed as if whenever I would start to depend on the GPS, it would fail.
Before going o Europe, I tried to use the Delorme GPS logger with AutoRoute and could not get it to work. I was told my Microsoft Support that it would only work on COM Ports 1 & 2. By experimenting I found this to be untrue. The main problem was caused by the Delorme BT receiver not being in NEMA mode after using the Blue Tooth Logger Manager. After turning the logger off and on, it would connect on COM Port 9 to AutoRoute. The first attempt always fails, but trying 2, 3, or 4 times it usually results in a connection.
In spite of all these problems, I will continue to use GPS in the USA and Europe, but hopefully with a better GPS receiver.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The G in GPS stands for Global. This means any GPS receiver will work anywhere in the world.

You most probably had a car with a coated windscreen - those metallic surfaces block reception . It would probably have been sufficient to place the bluelogger on the back parcel shelf (?) instead. Or close to a side window.

Now for the logging - there you are right. When you exchange the battery this will unfortunately stop the logging, and the only way to start it again is through a bluetooth enabled PC.

I mentioned to DeLorme a number of times that we need a PDA based BlueLogger Manager, but to no avail. Someone here on the forum had once decoded the control sequences, so I could write the PocketPC version - if I had the time, that is.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Desi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: DO NOT BUY! Problem with internal antenna Reply with quote

Elijah wrote:
what is the warranty on the blue logger?? i read on their forums that one device came with a 60 day warranty.

I recieved the BlueLogger as a gift for Xmas and stopped working. It will not aquire a GPS fix. From what I have read in other forums is that the problem has to do with the internal antenna. My 60 day warranty ran out so I am out of luck!
rimbim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Just been reading up on the Blue Logger and had a sudden panic of confusion.
I want to log data in a no Bluetooth area (cockpit) and then d/l later (happy to do so via BT).
Is BT on all the time, whether or not BT is being used?
I've seen power consumption figures for BT on and off.

regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: