Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why is route planning so poor?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is route planning so poor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
... over the Internet without even having to connect the sat nav to a computer or wi-fi network.

That would be magic, how exactly is that working?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
Also, the Garmin sat nav will overwrite your chosen route if you dare to move even a few feet off it while driving - how stupid is that?

Well it may or may not depending on numerous factors. Whether you'd like it to is immaterial, it can't read your mind. If you've set a destination, deviate off route and it can then find a more sensible route based on the routing and avoidances you've selected surely you'd expect it to do so? I know I would. If there is a point I have to get to I add it as a viapoint, that way I know I'll be taken there.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
I was travelling north through Great Malvern again yesterday and my "wonderful" sat nav once again tried to get me to divert right off the main road, down a steep hill, to a T junction, back up another steep hill and then the worst part, back onto the main road I would have just left, via a right-hand turn on a steep slope. Weird or what?

Very weird Wink
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've noticed that the devices don't follow mytrends properly - driving to leeds whether I use fastest or shortest route, the garmin always send me the same way into queuing traffic. It even displays there is a delay on your route, it doesn't even attempt to redirect of the junction i always come off, but always reports that there is no delay once I use the junction.

on my tt it would learn my routes and actually use them, while so far the garmin its never used the routes i take, just knows that i'm going to a certain destination.

i don't think I would go back to tt due to the poor map coverage especially in scotland and with lots of important landmarks missing, why remove lochs and rivers from the map....

and as with cottonsocks, I've had similar occur where the unit has wanted me to come of the main road to go down back roads, to only reappear on the main road about 400 yards along.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use myTrends but there are some rules that you need to follow if it's to work, see the detail here

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-GB/faq/content/hGV4xg8nBE7KuZJ1oHaHX6

As for traffic, have you set it to ignore traffic, or automatically reroute, or give you the option? I'm surprised since Garmin's digital traffic has always proved fairly accurate for me.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
cottonsocks wrote:
I was travelling north through Great Malvern again yesterday and my "wonderful" sat nav once again tried to get me to divert right off the main road, down a steep hill, to a T junction, back up another steep hill and then the worst part, back onto the main road I would have just left, via a right-hand turn on a steep slope. Weird or what?

Very weird Wink

I recall a thread from around 12 to 15 months ago where I uploaded a photo of my satnav screen showing me being routed off a 20mph area on to a 100 yard long 30mph road running parallel and to rejoin the original road. sussamb explained that it probably did this because of the 'faster' limit on that 100 yard stretch. Ridiculous routing!
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
cottonsocks wrote:
... over the Internet without even having to connect the sat nav to a computer or wi-fi network.

OK, it works like this:-

1. Plan a route in MyRoute-app on any internet-connected PC, which, if you are a Gold member, gives you the choice of using/comparing routes using Google Maps (default), TomTom's maps or HERE/Garmin maps. Or you can use TomTom's MyDrive app, but it's less user-friendly.
2. Save the route to MyDrive from within MyRoute-app (it asks for your TomTom MyDrive log-in details).
3. Route is exported to MyDrive (although you can't see it yet as it's still in beta phase).
4. When you next switch on your TomTom Go 5100 (or one of the newer models such as the Go 5200), the sat nav connects to TomTom's live services via its built-in SIM card and downloads the route to your device. It also synchronises your waypoints so even if you have to do a full factory reset, you can easily get them all back again.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
sussamb wrote:
cottonsocks wrote:

Very weird Wink

I recall a thread from around 12 to 15 months ago where I uploaded a photo of my satnav screen showing me being routed off a 20mph area on to a 100 yard long 30mph road running parallel and to rejoin the original road. sussamb explained that it probably did this because of the 'faster' limit on that 100 yard stretch. Ridiculous routing!
I think if you followed this route in Malvern, you'd be well p**""d off because the junction to get back onto the main road that you would have just left is really hard going (steep hill, right-hand turn onto a busy main road and if that isn't enough, there are pedestrians to watch out for on the nearby pedestrian crossing). Bad enough in the summer but a nightmare in icy winter weather.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
cottonsocks wrote:
Also, the Garmin sat nav will overwrite your chosen route if you dare to move even a few feet off it while driving - how stupid is that?

Well it may or may not depending on numerous factors. Whether you'd like it to is immaterial, it can't read your mind. If you've set a destination, deviate off route and it can then find a more sensible route based on the routing and avoidances you've selected surely you'd expect it to do so? I know I would. If there is a point I have to get to I add it as a viapoint, that way I know I'll be taken there.
I would expect it to follow the route I had pre-planned before setting off and not to automatically override what I had planned, just because of a slight deviation. The way it stands, I make one little mistake (like I did today by taking the wrong exit at a roundabout) and hey presto, the route up to the next waypoint is under the control of the sat nav. Fortunately today, I was using my TomTom, so it just directed me how and where to make a U-turn and then carried on with my route as if nothing had happened. To me, that makes much more sense.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
sussamb wrote:
cottonsocks wrote:

OK, it works like this:-

1. Plan a route in MyRoute-app on any internet-connected PC, which, if you are a Gold member, gives you the choice of using/comparing routes using Google Maps (default), TomTom's maps or HERE/Garmin maps. Or you can use TomTom's MyDrive app, but it's less user-friendly.
2. Save the route to MyDrive from within MyRoute-app (it asks for your TomTom MyDrive log-in details).
3. Route is exported to MyDrive (although you can't see it yet as it's still in beta phase).
4. When you next switch on your TomTom Go 5100 (or one of the newer models such as the Go 5200), the sat nav connects to TomTom's live services via its built-in SIM card and downloads the route to your device. It also synchronises your waypoints so even if you have to do a full factory reset, you can easily get them all back again.

Neat. I've never used Garmins smart link, must see if it can do the same.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
sussamb wrote:
cottonsocks wrote:

I would expect it to follow the route I had pre-planned before setting off and not to automatically override what I had planned, just because of a slight deviation. The way it stands, I make one little mistake (like I did today by taking the wrong exit at a roundabout) and hey presto, the route up to the next waypoint is under the control of the sat nav. Fortunately today, I was using my TomTom, so it just directed me how and where to make a U-turn and then carried on with my route as if nothing had happened. To me, that makes much more sense.

In most cases so will your Garmin. It won't though if there is a better option, to me that makes sense.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I don't use myTrends but there are some rules that you need to follow if it's to work, see the detail here

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-GB/faq/content/hGV4xg8nBE7KuZJ1oHaHX6

As for traffic, have you set it to ignore traffic, or automatically reroute, or give you the option? I'm surprised since Garmin's digital traffic has always proved fairly accurate for me.

the mytrends shows up saying where i am going - i click on it and then click the top route it picks - it doesn't actually pick the route i go every day - it just learns where my exact destination is and routes to it.

I have it set for ask to re-route but as said when i come to where I'm coming off on a daily basis, the garmin wants me to continue to the next junction and wait in traffic - it shows there is traffic which is correct, but never routes me of the junction i come off or offers that destination - i soon as i start coming off the device updates and says there is no traffic, which is actually correct.

So not sure why it always picks the same route of the motorway and never the one i actually want as i know it's easier and quicker (less traffic and junctions)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
mytrends shows up saying where i am going - i click on it and then click the top route it picks - it doesn't actually pick the route i go every day - it just learns where my exact destination is and routes to it.

Ah okay, as I said I don't use myTrends. Seems like it simply knows where you travel to and offers some options, but not the one you like to take.

walkerx wrote:
I have it set for ask to re-route but as said when i come to where I'm coming off on a daily basis, the garmin wants me to continue to the next junction and wait in traffic - it shows there is traffic which is correct, but never routes me of the junction i come off or offers that destination - i soon as i start coming off the device updates and says there is no traffic, which is actually correct.

Do you have TrafficTrends enabled as well? Only experience I have of my Garmin's directing me into traffic is when they say I'm still on the fastest route, personally I'd rather take a slower route if it avoids start/stop traffic but I accept that wouldn't be everyone's choice.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sussamb"]
walkerx wrote:
Do you have TrafficTrends enabled as well? Only experience I have of my Garmin's directing me into traffic is when they say I'm still on the fastest route, personally I'd rather take a slower route if it avoids start/stop traffic but I accept that wouldn't be everyone's choice.

TrafficTrends? Never seen that option - only option I have seen for traffic is most or some along with the standard auto-reroute or ask
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the satnav but generally if you have myTrends you'll have Traffic Trends ... if there it should be Settings, Traffic, Traffic Trends

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: