Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin's new 2017 Drive Series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin's new 2017 Drive Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understandable response given the question.

We just need a few more 2017 unit owners to report in.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the unit is almost identical to the DriveLuxe 50.

When you connect to a USB you are now prompted to go into USB mode or use as normal - ie you can charge on a USB mode but simulate routes etc.. rather than having to go into the non-usable mode.

A few changes in the setting menu. There is a new Wireless Networks menu which now has the Bluetooth details in here as well as the new Wi-Fi menu. Driver assistance also now has its own menu with the new incident notification.

Interestingly, the Proximity alert menu no longer shows in the menu, BUT, it has been moved under the Driver assistance menu.

On the Whereto screen, going to categories shows Custom POIs and clicking through this and the PocketGPS POIs are displayed.

As for the files, there are a couple of extra folders in the System menu - dl_manager and UpdateManager which seem to drive the new updating process.

On the Apps screen there are a few more icons include Watch link (via Smartlink) and LiveTrack (via Smartlink) which shares your drive to your phone (and to others).
The TA10 car charger is now a TA20 (no idea what the difference is)

Last edited by BAVC10 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased to say that the Wi-Fi update process works quite well.

It is very similar to GE in that it will tell you there are updates but you have to install all (there's no option for anything else). A little update icon shows on the front screen next to Settings to say there is an update. Similar to GE the screen on the Drive shows whether the map is up to date and a separate icon says whether there is a software update available.

Interesting when you connect to Wi-Fi there are loads of extra disclaimers to accept/deny and a few nags to register the unit / receive emails from Garmin.

The TripAdvisor function works on a distance basis - within a radius of either 25, 10 or 5 miles.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it connect to your phone wifi to update?

I'm just thinking about being mobile, updating, and your phone loses connection mid stream.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kremmen

I've not tried it on the phone to be honest as the Wi-Fi I've set up is to my home broadband as I doubt I'd want it to go via my phone when out on the road. I'll give it a go though and report back.

You can disable the Wi-Fi via the usual green tick in the box so at least if it does work on the phone you won't get an update message if you don't want to.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, probably not the time to update maps when you're navigating, especially if it fails.

I normally wait for the new map update post here then USB mine. Is WiFi an unnecessary gimic.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - seems a bit of a gimmick really - all it does is mimic GE without having to plug the unit via a USB.

I've done a Wi-Fi update of a few text / language files over Wi-Fi which were ok but the next map release will definitely by via GE.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud - tried to update via Wi-Fi to my phone.

Firstly, there is a long winded disclaimer to accept and then a warning saying if something goes wrong you need to connect to GE and finally when you press ok to install over Wi-Fi you are asked to plug the unit in via USB to a power source - kind of defeats the object of updating remotely.

Needless to say I updated via GE without issue - Wi-Fi definitely a gimmick and only useful to tell you when there is an update rather than checking GE so frequently.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my reminders here Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: