Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Coming back to PND - which one meets my requirements
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming back to PND - which one meets my requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Coming back to PND - which one meets my requirements Reply with quote

After many years using my TomTom, I had a new company car (Volvo XC60) with an excellent SatNav, so shelved the TomTom.

Now I've retired, I have bought my own car but it doesn't have a satnav so need a new TomTom. As the battery on the old one is dead, I need to go back to the market.

Must Haves:

Live traffic without using phone data
Europe maps - will be in USA next year, but old TT will probably suffice
Add own POI's and PGPSW speed camera POIs
Lifetime free map updates

What do you suggest?
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a TomTom. None of the latest models handle user POIs. Anyway, no proximity alerts, so about as useful as t*** on a fish for PGPSW speed cams.
Seems that Garmin is about your only sensible choice to fulfil all your requirements.
Get an LMTD model. (Lifetime Maps, Traffic Digital is what the LMTD stands for with no mobile data usage)
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the hassles being reported here https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/ with all/any of the newer TT devices I'd suggest looking at some of the Garmin models
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/64364/best-sat-navs-2017-group-test-review
http://www.satnavdebate.co.uk/best-sat-nav-for-car-garmin-tomtom-united-kingdom/
http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/141234/the-best-sat-navs-to-buy-including-tomtom-garmin-navman

I know, tough call!
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will buy a Garmin in next few days.

Postponed purchase whilst the debate on whether POIs will work on latest Garmins. As the conclusion is the issue observed by one user was caused by a corrupt file, this means I can now proceed with purchase, especially as I collected new pickup today Very Happy

Deciding between DriveSmart 50LMT-D (£150 in Argos) and DriveAssist 50LMT-D with Dash Cam. Unfortunately the DriveLuxe 50LMT-D (heavily discounted at Halfords) is not available locally.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not impressed with the DriveAssist.

I had one for 24hrs before I took it back. The issue was that they have centrally mounted the camera so the Garmin ball socket mount has been pushed to an edge.

That caused unit vibration on all but the smoothest roads and the subsequent footage was blurred. I could see the unit vibrating from the windows reflection light hitting the glass front. Units with the central ball socket don't suffer this vibration.

Whilst it's a pain having a separate dashcam the video results from my Nextbase 402G are far superior to what the Garmin gave me, even when stationary with no vibration.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: