Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DriveAssist50 Voice Commands?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DriveAssist50 Voice Commands?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightbox61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: DriveAssist50 Voice Commands? Reply with quote

I have inheritted a Garmin Drive assist 50 and wondered if anyone might be able to help.

I can use the voice commands to find favourites, home, categories and history but can't work out how to do the basics - drive to an address and drive to a city centre!

Please can someone tell me how I do this.

Many thanks
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't, at least not directly. You can navigate to favourites and history though, so just ensure any destinations are in favourites.

Having said that the instructions say you should be able to say Find place, and then input city or postcode. So far I've never got that to work and it's not in the list of phrases in the Voice Control app.

Last edited by sussamb on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: DriveAssist50 Voice Commands? Reply with quote

lightbox61 wrote:
I have inheritted a Garmin Drive assist 50 and wondered if anyone might be able to help.

I can use the voice commands to find favourites, home, categories and history but can't work out how to do the basics - drive to an address and drive to a city centre!

Please can someone tell me how I do this.

Many thanks

when you say voice command, you get a list of the available commands you can use - when you say an address it will list what it thinks you said and you choose the right option
lightbox61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
You can't, at least not directly. You can navigate to favourites and history though, so just ensure any destinations are in favourites.

Having said that the instructions say you should be able to say Find place, and then input city or postcode. So far I've never got that to work and it's not in the list of phrases in the Voice Control app.

Thanks for the replies - although they seem to be slightly contradictory!

That's exactly what I was trying to do - on my tomtom it is very straightforward - I just say "drive to a city centre" and then name the city or drive to an address and then say the address.

When I say " find place" nothing happens!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my experience too, find place does nothing Evil or Very Mad

Edit: Just discovered why, the Drive models have two options, Voice Command and Voice Control (confusing!). I guess it depends on the model but my DriveAssist has Voice control (Find place doesn't work) but if you have Voice Command it should. Voice Control seems far simpler and less able than Voice Command, which I suspect is on the more expensive models in the Drive series, or could be map related as something I've just seen indicates Voice Command may only be available with the full EU map (I just have Western Europe on mine).
lightbox61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
That's my experience too, find place does nothing Evil or Very Mad

Edit: Just discovered why, the Drive models have two options, Voice Command and Voice Control (confusing!). I guess it depends on the model but my DriveAssist has Voice control (Find place doesn't work) but if you have Voice Command it should. Voice Control seems far simpler and less able than Voice Command, which I suspect is on the more expensive models in the Drive series, or could be map related as something I've just seen indicates Voice Command may only be available with the full EU map (I just have Western Europe on mine).

Mine's western europe too. That is most bizarre, please may I ask where the heck you found the info as even google isn't too helpful on this!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the manual Very Happy
lightbox61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
It's in the manual Very Happy

Hahaha, who on earth would think to look in the manual?!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is even an emoticon for that that sussamb chose not to use being a generous chappie. It goes a bit like this this Stop it! Very Happy

Last edited by M8TJT on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice command v Voice control

That's ringing bells.

That Drive unit I had briefly last year had the system where you don't shout verbal commands but menu numbers. Sort of like these telephone systems.

"One" then it displays the one sub menu, then you decide from that which item or another sub menu you want by shouting the menu number at it.

As I've posted before, I could not get it to distinguish between 2 and 3 then 4 and 5. It kept telling me that my command was too close to another one.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: