Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updates - Drive 2016 range (Firmware 5.20)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updates - Drive 2016 range (Firmware 5.20)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Updates - Drive 2016 range (Firmware 5.20) Reply with quote

Garmin has just released firmware 5.10 (up from 4.10) for the Drive (2016 models) range

Changelog as follows:
- Added a feature to view the device battery level when it is connected to a computer
- Fixed an issue that prevented traffic events from appearing in Italy
- Fixed an issue that prevented postal code searches from working in Canada
- Fixed an issue that prevented routes from being recalculated after going off route
- Improved performance of some Loc8 postcode searches
- Improved GPS performance
- Improved software stability
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin rolled out a batch of 5.20 firmware updates for the 2016 Drive range on 1st March. Hopefully it has addressed the GPS accuracy bug which was introduced in 5.10.

Changelog as follows:
- Fixed an issue that could prevent Real Direction voices from working after the 5.10 software update.
- Added a feature to view the device battery level when it is connected to a computer.
- Fixed an issue that prevented traffic incidents from appearing in Italy.
- Fixed an issue that prevented postal code searches from working in Canada.
- Fixed an issue that prevented routes from being recalculated after going offroute.
- Improved performance of some Loc8 postcode searches.
- Improved GPS performance.
- Improved software stability.
toyracer69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just doing the update now! Wink
JoeGriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
Hopefully it has addressed the GPS accuracy bug which was introduced in 5.10.

Do you have more information about this bug? I've not seen anything about it but my DriveSmart 50LMT-D would occasionally claim to be running parallel to the road I was on, but off to one side of my actual track.

Thanks,

Garmin Montana 600
Garmin DriveSmart 51LMT-D
Garmin Nuvi 2599LMT-D
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing that Garmin would admit to although they did acknowledge an issue with the screenshots and diagnostic info that I sent over / they requested when I reported the issue as soon as 5.10 was released.

I kept seeing multiple instances where the vehicle would be running parallel to the road (as you have) for a number of minutes before correcting itself. The fault occurred when the GPS accuracy drifted to 40 or 50ft instead of the more usual 10 - 15ft despite having a full fix on the satellites and for no apparent reason.

Press and hold the green bars on the top left and it will display GPS accuracy after a few seconds. In normal use and with full signal strength 10 - 15ft is normal (less so in built-up areas) but driving with this screen enabled, the signal would drift out considerable when in clear view of the sky before correcting itself.

The very early Garmins had an algorithm where the vehicle would "snap" to the nearest road/route you were on even though you could have been 'off-road' so it is interesting to see this algorithm is no longer active.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was the worse update going

followed instructions and then wouldn't boot after restarting device to complete the installation.

managed to finally get it to complete but fully unplugging and attempting device reset

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: