Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BMW focusses on ConnectedDrive and CarPlay, NO Android Auto
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BMW focusses on ConnectedDrive and CarPlay, NO Android Auto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: BMW focusses on ConnectedDrive and CarPlay, NO Android Auto Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Following on from a newsletter editorial about CarPlay and Android Auto support a few weeks back, BMW have revealed that they will not be offering Android Auto in future models.

At Mobile World Congress Barcelona last month they were demonstrating their self-driving car development and disclosed that whilst they will be offering Apple CarPlay on new models they have chosen not to support Android Auto, citing control over the customer interface and brand experience as deciding factors.

They further explained that even Apple CarPlay will not be the core focus, instead they are developing their own solution, Apps for Auto, which will be part of their existing ConnectedDrive service.

It's a move that is sure to frustrate owners, the beauty of offering CarPlay AND Android Auto support is you leave the choice of phone platform to the user. Dictating choice in this way is sure to anger owners and may even lose them sales when the next purchase is due. Developing your own competing service in-house goes against the entire point of these services, they will always be playing catch up with the features available via smartphone apps.

Source: press.bmwgroup.com

email icon

Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article, possibly here or on the BBC website, about who owns the data output from cars with the manufacturers trying to limit access. Maybe this is part of it?

The idea is that the ECU becomes smarter and can detect when components are about to fail, brake pads need replacing etc. They then warn the driver with the idea that the ECU books the car in with a dealer and orders the parts required. It means that you are locked in to the manufacturer's dealer network and parts sales.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one who has a BMW with Connected Drive (or whatever it's called), I don't really see the need to manage my car from my phone. Bluetooth connectivity is all I need so I can see who has called me and I can play music on my phone over the car speakers.

What else would Android Auto give me?

Alan
eaglesnest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, BMW's mapping is a poor comparison to Tomtom's - and I find their connected drive offers a lot of features I never use and is expensive for what it offers.

I think they should outsource their mapping to someone who can do it properly and concentrate on the basics.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't they part owners of Teleatlas (or whatever ist called now)?????
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapping works OK. No, it's not as good as Garmin (Can't add POI's) but it will get you from A to B (which is what you need from a car).

Connected drive is nice. It shows me the petrol station prices and how far they are. I can do a route or just a destination in Google Maps and have it send the route or waypoint to the car via the embedded sim card. It does traffic pretty accurately. And, I can call up "concierge services" - ask them for some information (such as "find me a restaurant nearby" and they will send the info to the car as a route.

I can also, from a browser, lock and unlock the car and do various other things - all of which I have disabled!!!.

So, I say again - what will Android Auto give me?

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: