Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Powering Garmin Nuvi 2495 from Car USB port?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Powering Garmin Nuvi 2495 from Car USB port?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polybear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Powering Garmin Nuvi 2495 from Car USB port? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a new car that has a very convenient USB port on the dash. Can I power and use my Garmin from this port in any sensible way? At the moment the Sat Nav goes into Data Transfer Mode when I try this (presumably because the USB is 5v and not 12v?) and I can't get the sat nav to go into navigation mode. I've seen a trick on youtube which involves unplugging and replugging the usb cable, but this isn't the way i wish to go because sooner or later one of the usb connectors is liable to give up the ghost due to repeated unplugging etc.

Any ideas please?
Thanks
Brian
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltage has nothing to do with it, both your USB lead and the Garmin lead that plugs into your power socket provide 5v to your nuvi. Provided you're not expecting traffic on your nuvi then you can use the USB lead but you need a lead that is designated as a power only lead and not a data lead, as the latter will switch your nuvi to PC mode as you've discovered.
Polybear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks - would something like this be suitable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262670695438?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

- though I'd prefer a right-angle mini usb connector on a short usb cable if I can find one.

Many thanks
Brian
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no idea. It says it's a power cable but who knows for sure how it's been wired. At that price though you could just try ... or ensure you can return it if necessary.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your 2495 is the LMT version, the traffic will almost certainly NOT work as sussamb implied above. They have done something 'special' with the power lead to enable the traffic as well as the lead being the aerial for traffic reception and any old power cable just will not do it. Believe me, I've tried.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, got the scars.

Trying to power into navigation mode from a USB is very hit and miss.

Why are you trying to omit the normal power socket ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Polybear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I realise I'll lose traffic (on a longer run I'd revert to the standard cable). The usb idea will create a much neater installation that will be completely hidden from view simply by closing a sliding door on the dash. The 12v socket is down by the handbrake, meaning a trailing lead having to be fitted and removed every time, otherwise I risk some scrote thieving the sat nav (and doing a lot of damage in the process).

Plan 2 will be to fit a mini 12v socket close to the sat nav location, and using the correct Garmin lead in order to drop to 5v.

Many thanks
Brian
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I've done.

I wired in a female power socket behind the dash and I can then use the original cable.
My installation only shows about 4" of cable from the base of the A pillar to the unit.

My second ploy is a Garmin dashboard mount that has a quick release mechanism that a microfibre can be dumped on top of and completely hides the mount.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-010-10747-02-Dashboard-Mount/dp/B000F7689A

Once you press the mount release button and remove the bit with the ball (Nuvi still attached) all that is left behind, under the microfibre, is the thin bit with Garmin printed on it so is easily concealed, quickly.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polybear wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I realise I'll lose traffic (on a longer run I'd revert to the standard cable). The usb idea will create a much neater installation that will be completely hidden from view simply by closing a sliding door on the dash. The 12v socket is down by the handbrake, meaning a trailing lead having to be fitted and removed every time, otherwise I risk some scrote thieving the sat nav (and doing a lot of damage in the process).

Plan 2 will be to fit a mini 12v socket close to the sat nav location, and using the correct Garmin lead in order to drop to 5v.

Many thanks
Brian

I have done what you wish to do.

The Garmin cable has pin 4 and 5 connected with resistor in the mini usb plug and I couldn't find such a mini usb to usb cable in the UK.
I ended up getting this 12/5v power socket adapter and lead

http://tinyurl.com/zt4fqml

from here https://www.edotechsupply.com/

I found a retractable fine, flat mini-usb two core cable (removed from the recoil box) would also work with the EDO 12/5v adapter but only that one out of a selection I have. Weird as the EDO special cable will not work with any other 12/5v adapter.

A 90° usb adaptor at the 12/5v socket and mini adhesive cable clips help to keep the cable flat.

Edit: Mini not micro usb...text corrected

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: