Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Before I subscribe - how does it work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Before I subscribe - how does it work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axel905
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Before I subscribe - how does it work Reply with quote

Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't see it when I searched.

I'd like to download the safety cameras, the 4 consolidated files for the uk. I then need to run them through the VW poi generator to allow me to upload them to a new VW Tiguan with the new discover nav system.

When I subscribe can I download the safety camera files in different formats? I'm not sure what the VW system uses, so need to test the upload process with csv, ov, and gpx formats. I don't know what the subscription allows, so needed to ask. Can I effectively download these files in multiple formats to my pc, so that I can then run them through the VW poi generator, or would I be tied to one format?

I did one little test of the VW setup, by creating one poi. The VW system uploaded a csv, actually an excel csv file as the spatial poi and also associated a bmp image to that poi. So that seemed to work, but just wanted to check how the subscription works before committing.

Thanks axel
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you subscribe you can download any format you want as often as you want ... the only 'limit' is the number of devices you can use the files on.
Axel905
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, that's great.

So I can download the file to my pc first in its raw form i.e. Csv or gps, ready for the VW tool to manipulate it into their format before I upload it via an sd card to my car nav?

The reason I ask is that the garmin cyclops, speed cam database, requires a device to be plugged into the USB to which the file downloads. Obviously you can't do this with a built in car system, so need to be sure the file can can be downloaded to my pc for further preparation and then loadable onto sd card to allow me to upload to the vehicle.

Thanks.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I think everyone has to download the files to a PC first, as it's a zipped file. You then prepare the correct file to load onto your satnav.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Before I subscribe - how does it work Reply with quote

Axel905 wrote:
I did one little test of the VW setup, by creating one poi. The VW system uploaded a csv, actually an excel csv file as the spatial poi and also associated a bmp image to that poi. So that seemed to work, but just wanted to check how the subscription works before committing.
Firstly, a .csv file is not strictly an Excel file, it's just that on your computer because MS have associated .csv files with Excel. A .csv file is a plain text file with Comma Separated Values.

Now for a relevant question. Does your device give proximity alerts to your POI? As without them, the speedcam database is about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be possible to get proximity alerts to work on the VW system - see this thread .

Seems like a lot of work though, and it may not be that useful.
Axel905
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's definitely possible to get audible alerts.

Today I created 3 different pois in excel. 1 was a static cam, 1 was a traffic light cam and the other was for a mobile cam. I created these using a made up eastong and a northings and a descriptor for each. Then I saved a bit map image for each type of poi.

Then I ran the csv files through the German VW site to convert them to their format. This allows the user to pick an audible alert. I did this, saved the files to sd card and then updated the VW discover sat nav with these files. When I went out in the car it shows the images in the correct place and when you get close it produces a bong to notify the driver.

So all seems good. I'm going to subscribe now to get the full databases and then do the same thing to load the VW unit with all the camera pois.

Thanks for everyone's help on this, it's greatly appreciated.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have either an Android or iPhone then you can use the free CamerAlert app to warn via audio so you don't have to set up proximity alerts on your SatNav.

The other advantage you have to using CamerAlert is how it handles average speed cameras (i.e. SPECS). CamerAlert will show your actual and average speed whilst in and average speed camera section.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: