Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin DriveAssist (with dashcam)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin DriveAssist (with dashcam)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Garmin DriveAssist (with dashcam) Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure this new model uses a TA cable instead of the previous Nuvicam washing line traffic aerial.

The early reports are indicating that the video clarity is not as good as a dedicated dashcam.

The other thing is that they reckon you need to realign the camera everytime you remove the unit. Surely if you are really careful and don't alter the base angle this isn't necessary?

I don't use my car that often but when I do I now have to remove the dashcam and Garmin from view. Once I've seen some online dashcam footage and seen whether it looks OK I will decide whether to get this and remove the Nextbase.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cam is the same as in the nuvicam then heres an example http://home.btconnect.com/packhams/images/GRM_2799.MP4

If the magnetic mount is the same then you can be careful enough not to misalign the camera position.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That NuviCam footage looks good to me
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at getting a DriveAssist, with dashcam.

Having looked at the manual, which isn't that clear, it looks like the previous Nuvicam scenario that the camera vertical is fixed so the unit has to be positioned to suit the camera, not to suit any glare you get on the glass screen.

Until I hear otherwise unfortunately I'm out.

My current glass screen 2599 has to be tilted so it's reflection is showing me the rear area of headlining, not any car glass, or you can't see it properly. Reflecting the headlining is not a compromise for me, just a slight angle change from my older 2597 that had a matt screen.

Why can't the software allow a full up/down and side to side adjustment.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Kremmin just bought a Driveassist last week ,not very impressed at the moment ,for a start the video is nowhere near as good as in the clip on this page , and the screen is very reflective will need a matte film on it , the audio nav doe's seem to be as good as my 1490 it will say turn right perhaps half a mile from the turn but unless you keep an eye on the map ,you dont get turn here at the turn & on the map not as much road info either as 1490 . But on the +side is start up very quickly & screen is quite responsive .Won't recognise my POI sim card at the moment so will try for a few more days & make a decision about keeping it or not .
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the audio nav doe's NOT seem to be as good as my 1490 i
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I'm glad I held off. On the face of it the dashcam combo sounds a good idea but has been badly implemented.

As you say, the latest glass screen change by Garmin does cause reflection issues but my angling of it to reflect the interior headlining has sorted that one. The only snag there if it was a dashcam then I would be recording my bonnet.

The camera needs to be both horizontal and vertically adjustable but your other issues show a quality problem.

I'll stick with the 2599 and Nextbase 402g combination for now. Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kremmen
update on Drive 50 ,have downloaded Garmin dash cam player & there really is a vast improvment in the video playback equal to the Nuvicam clip from what I have seen .On the audio nav I have changed the voice from Kate 2mb to Serena 24 mb which is now on a par with 1490 and giving much better nav .Have now got Pocketworld Speed Cams installed & working so all in all I am seriously thinking about keeping it .I think the low res screen of the sat nav does do the camera justice and I will keep you posted as to keeping or not .
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the low res screen of the sat nav does NOT do the camera justice and I will keep you posted as to keeping or not .
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

The only reason I looked at changing was to only have one unit to remove when I park, which these days is infrequent but still a pain.

My Garmin dashmount is very quick, and easy, to remove the unit as it has a lock slide and takes seconds to unmount and mount. Once unmounted all that is left on the dash is a small 1 cm high plastic bit that is easily hidden with a microfibre I carry.

The Nextbase is another story as it's mounted behind the mirror on the passenger side.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there gave been getting use to the Drive Assist 50 and really am now quite impressed with it , as with you Kremmin my main reason for the change was an all in one which I think this does very well indeed , really quick start ,rerouting etc , the voice command works really well for me & as I said before the Dash Cam Player makes the video very good so its a yes from me . I will be keeping it . The one BIG thing that lets it down is BONGS instead of spoken warnings because as I see the last thing you need to be doing when approaching a hazard is to looking at a screen instead of eyes on the road , from a safety point of view I find this indefensible.I wonder if this a cost problem or just plain stupidity on Garmins part ,were it not for Pocket GPS World spoken warnings it might have been going back because of so many bongs "most of which are now off "would be spending too much time screen watching .Should Garmin ever sort this out it would take some beating IMHO this is a little cracker .
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update.

The Garmin cameras have always just given a bong. When I last used Cyclops, many years ago all you got was a tiny blue dot as well, both useless.

My only reservation now is the fixed vertical camera position. My current 2599 with glass screen has to be angled upwards otherwise I cant see the screen due to the bright reflection of the rear windows.

This would mean the camera would be mainly recording the bonnet. I'll try and get Halfords to demo one so I can check.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive Renault Scenic , & windscreen is so far away I mount it on dash about a 3rd of screen at the bottom of screen is my car , but the field of vision is so great that it really does'nt matter , as for virtical adjustiment if needed , the slightest movment on the ball joint will do the job so really not a prob & I have found no need to keep adjusting the view , I just click it into the cradle & away you go .As for reflections I bought a matt screen protector for 2599 which is exactly same screen size so is a perfect fit problem solved , but should the worst happen I think all the evidence you would need will be on screen ......hopefully this early vid of mine will give you an idea of the cam .

https://youtu.be/kUvqDckKvlk
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that.

Nice and sharp. Looks like a wide field of vision so as you say, no need to keep resetting it after removal if you're not too rough when mounting it.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see how it goes Smile

I'll remove the NextBase when/if I'm happy with it.

I got the UK&I job for £199 in Halfords. Having trimmed out the usual foreign bits I've got almost 2Gb left for updates.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: