Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POIs for Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POIs for Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wizzardoz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: POIs for Europe Reply with quote

In Spain, will the 2699 pick up local petrol stations and restaurants or do I need to download them from this Board and import using PO Loader please?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin maps include POIs from all the countries the maps cover. I've used them in France, Spain and Portugal with success. Having said that you can also add your own for those countries just as you might do for UK.
Wizzardoz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sussamb, apart from here, is there a POI site for downloading Spain POIs please?

Also, on a different topic, I will need to download a camera database for Europe (I am using a UK one). Should it be consolidated by type or speed zone complete please?
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same situation. However, I found that the database of POIs for Spain on here is not that comprehensive.

I have managed to find a site for Spanish POIs but, bizarrely, it is in Spanish!

I don't know how comprehensive the speed camera database for Spain is. According to a Spanish site, it is about 1400 fixed and 3500 mobile sites.

The other alternative is not to speed! The Guardia have been told to clamp down on speeding and are less lenient than before. Its an on the spot fine, same as France.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizzardoz wrote:
Thanks Sussamb, apart from here, is there a POI site for downloading Spain POIs please?

I just use PGPSW POIs, however there may be Spanish POI sites out there, Google is your best bet. Smile

Wizzardoz wrote:
Also, on a different topic, I will need to download a camera database for Europe (I am using a UK one). Should it be consolidated by type or speed zone complete please?

I'm afraid that I've only ever driven in France and I just relied on audio alerts from CamerAlert on my iPhone, which worked well. If you have an android or iPhone you could try CamerAlert as it has a world wide database and will give you full type and speed warnings.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Wizzardoz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess one always tries to be careful whilst driving abroad but sometimes you can be caught off guard and the database helps!
Wizzardoz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will download the app as well. This may avoid the issue in my later travel to France - I think they do not view speed camera notifications on sat naves lightly.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
I have managed to find a site for Spanish POIs but, bizarrely, it is in Spanish!

How bizzare and unhelful. Smile Have you tried Google Translate on that site?

Allan_whoops wrote:
I don't know how comprehensive the speed camera database for Spain is. According to a Spanish site, it is about 1400 fixed and 3500 mobile sites.

According to the PocketGPSWorld.com Active Speed Camera Statistics, Spain the database for Spain currently has:

Europe - Spain Active: Gatso 832
Europe - Spain Active: Mobile 1963
Europe - Spain Active: Specs 50
Europe - Spain Active: Redlight 44
Europe - Spain Active: Truvelo 11
Europe - Spain Active: Monitron 1
Europe - Spain Pending: Mobile 36
Europe - Spain Temporary: Specs 1

So if you take a smart phone with CamerAlert you could report any new ones for the database.

Allan_whoops wrote:
The other alternative is not to speed! The Guardia have been told to clamp down on speeding and are less lenient than before. Its an on the spot fine, same as France.

Yes, that what we recommend. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizzardoz wrote:
I guess one always tries to be careful whilst driving abroad but sometimes you can be caught off guard and the database helps!

True, it is best to keep to the speed limit of all countries and just use the PGPSW camera database as a helpful reminder.

Wizzardoz wrote:
Thanks. I will download the app as well. This may avoid the issue in my later travel to France - I think they do not view speed camera notifications on sat naves lightly.

That's correct. It's illegal to have accurate warning of speed camera sites in France (on SatNavs or other devices) and that's why I didn't load any French speed camera POIs onto my TomTom app. If you do get pulled over I guess that you can in an emergency delete your CamerAlert app and reinstall it at a later time.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the PGPSW camera files when abroad, and find them perfectly adequate. As posted, if you do find one not listed you can report it and claim your years extension Very Happy

POIs have never really interested me but when I do want some and think the in-built ones won't be sufficient I either use the ones here or do a google search.

Incidentally I also use the French ones. While theoretically you can be prosecuted I don't believe any have taken place. The French police also don't have the power to stop you and look at your satnav, unless they have reason to do so. Even if they did I keep the camera files on a card which I could just pop out if the situation ever arose.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that its one of bits of legislation that the police ignore. The mandatory breathalyser in the car is another, I believe.

It was a bit like mandatory non-smoking zones in French restaurants in the old days. They just moved you next to non-smokers! Failing that, they moved your table.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
The mandatory breathalyser in the car is another, I believe.

Yes, that's fallen by the wayside. It didn't make sense anyway, since if you used the breathalyser to check you were safe to drive having carried the required number (2 if I recall) you were then breaking the law!

Anyway in January 2013 the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – had been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

Only in France ... Laughing
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
POIs have never really interested me but when I do want some and think the in-built ones won't be sufficient I either use the ones here or do a google search.

I've always been interested in POIs and that's why I like the PocketGPSWorld ones because they are generally far more accurate for driving to a place than the built-in ones, which is essential for me when in a foreign country. Also the PocketGPSWorld POIs can be easily and quickly reported to be updated or deleted and new ones added by Richard, our resident POI database guru.

I know that this is a Garmin thread, but if you use Navigon (Garmin brand) app on Android or iPhone you can use the PocketGPSWorld Mobile POI site to find a POI and navigate to that POI via any of the known SatNav apps. You can also report new POIs via the Mobile POI site. The only downside is that you really do need either a WiFi connection or 3G/4G for data whilst using the Mobile POI site.

Allan_whoops wrote:
I think that its one of bits of legislation that the police ignore. The mandatory breathalyser in the car is another, I believe.

Yes, I don't think that the mandatory breathalyser in required - but for the sake of a few pounds I make sure that I have one. Just in case I get targeted for driving a car with UK plates.

Allan_whoops wrote:
It was a bit like mandatory non-smoking zones in French restaurants in the old days. They just moved you next to non-smokers! Failing that, they moved your table.

Ah, the French and smoking. Every time we go to Disney Land Paris, which is allegedly a non-smoking place (except for so-called designated smoking areas) we see people smoking. I don't smoke, if people want to smoke that's fine but please don't smoke next to me in a non-smoking area. [/rant] Angry
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sussamb"]
Allan_whoops wrote:

Yes, that's fallen by the wayside. It didn't make sense anyway, since if you used the breathalyser to check you were safe to drive having carried the required number (2 if I recall) you were then breaking the law!

Only one is required to be carried.

It was never intended that the driver's breathalyser would be used for official testing as some believe but as a self help guide to whether one was under or over the limit. Obviously, once used a replacement is required.

The penalty has been suspended but at only €11 it was hardly worth bothering about.
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

Incidentally I also use the French ones. While theoretically you can be prosecuted I don't believe any have taken place. The French police also don't have the power to stop you and look at your satnav, unless they have reason to do so. Even if they did I keep the camera files on a card which I could just pop out if the situation ever arose.

The French police have no right of access to the satnav without a court order.
Like you, I have CamerAlert, but on an SD card in an external slot so easily popped out if needed.

The French legislation has recently been changed again regarding the placement of advance warning boards for fixed cameras and these are now required after previously being declared as redundant. Mobile camera warning zones are now indicated advance flashing speed signs.

A recent trip to SW France on main roads seemed to show that CamerAlert and Garmin Cyclops broke even in reporting only half the number of fixed cameras seen but not always the same ones. Every camera seen had an advance warning sign at quite some distance ahead.

French police are now using over 300 of what they call mobile-mobile radar (MMR - all speed devices are 'radar' to the French)) which consists cameras fitted in the front and rear of unmarked cars and capable of operating whilst on the move in multi-lane and bi-directional mode. Another 200 are on order!

Edit: If anyone wants to read/translate the information it's here

http://tinyurl.com/h6nvb65

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: