Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please explain: MyDrive and Third Party apps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please explain: MyDrive and Third Party apps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Please explain: MyDrive and Third Party apps Reply with quote

My most recent TomTom PND is a TomTom 950 LIVE (i.e. about 7 years old), but I generally use TomTom iOS app v1.2x for day-to-day navigation, neither product uses MyDrive.

There's a new iOS app called TomTom GO Mobil which TomTom have said will have MyDrive, which will allegedly cope with Third Party POIs.

So my question to those of you experienced with using TomTom MyDrive with TomTom products, are:

1. Is MyDrive any good, what are your views?
2. How good is MyDrive with Third Party POIs?
3. Do (MyDrive) Third Party POIs show on the map?
4. Do (MyDrive) Third Party POIs show on the Navigation screen whilst driving?
5. Can you edit/modify Third Party POIs with MyDrive?

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you see the thing about being granted a free 3-years of the new app? I've got it from having the iOS v1.23 Europe. Sorry, I don't remember how you get it (on your existing iOS version, try menu, Shop, and try getting it from there. As an existing customer you're supposed to be entitled to free download and three year subscription (see complaints on TT forum that existing app is free for life, whereas new app introduces subcriptions). That's what I did.

Then you can look into it all yourself. BUT if/when you do get the new one, DO NOT delete the old one - it'll still get free updates even though TT want you to get the new app. For a full Europe map you'll need (I think) 6GB spare space on your iPhone.

As for your questions, I don't use the app, I can't get on with navigation on my iPhone, I only got it for use when I go on holiday in Greece later this year and Vera will hold it in her hand as we try to follow it down unsurfaced tracks. As far as I can tell, however, both you and TomTom use the word "will" - as far as TT is concerned, that sounds like futuristic promises, as in the new Nav4 devices will be able to use third party POIs some time in the future - how long did that take and how useful? Actually, rubbish so far as camera warnings are concerned. Right now, it is my understanding from posts on TT forum, that the new app is as missing features as all the recent "new, improved" models have been - certainly they say it won't do an awful lot of stuff that the iOS 1.2x version does. To which TT respond that they are working on it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your reply. I run the iOS TomTom v1.2x app on my iPhone as my primary SatNav. I use iMazing to load third party POIs onto it. If I want to create new POIs I use the POIViewer app. I have tried the newer TomTom GO Mobile app which does need a lot of extra done to it before it can take over from the older app, I'm also aware of the free 3 years .

I'm afraid that you need to re-read my original post, I use the phrase "MyDrive, which will allegedly cope with Third Party POIs". I am well aware of the value of TomTom's promises - hence the use of the word "allegedly". Wink

I don't have any TomTom products that supports MyDrive and I'm not going to go and buy any more just to try MyDrive. This is why I asked what MyDrive can and more importantly can't do as far as supporting Third Party POIs.

Once somebody tells me what MyDrive can or can't do, I can then go back to the TomTom forum and reply.

I have asked several times for the ability to fully support Third Party POIs on the new TomTom GO Mobile app, to which TomTom have replied that they're working on MyDrive support including importing custom POIs for the new app.

If others here would also bombard the TomTom forums and ask/demand for full support of Third Party POIs and everything else they want to see on the new TomTom GO Mobile app them please do so.

So back to my original question, what is MyDrive like for supporting Third Party POIs?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Drive will (IF it works with whichever device in question and it doesn't work with them all yet) import My Content (my POIs) into the device and they become useable POIs. BUT no icon importable and no warn when near. TT added this facility in response to complaints that "we" need POIs because we have loadsa POIs built up over years - POIs of customers and sites - y'know, engineers visiting customers etc, etc. They accepted that argument so you can navigate to POIs. The argument was not stretched to making PGPSW cameras work, only import and navigate to.

Chocolate teapot I'm afraid. And I can't think of any way to bombard TT with requests to import icons and Warn when near.

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for explaining MyDrive. As it can't import icons, no third party POI icons will show on either the map screen or the navigation screen, which is worse than useless, and as you said, MyDrive really does sound like a chocolate teapot.

I think that the days of standalone PNDs is numbered and I'd rather use my iPhone for navigation. I already have a number of SatNav apps: Google Maps; Apple Maps; Copilot; Navigon; GPS Navigation by Scout; and Maps.me to name a few. I also have the old TomTom app and the new TomTom GO Mobile. Whilst TomTom is the one that I use the most, I do occasionally try the other apps so that I'm not reliant on TomTom.

I already use POIViewer to look after my third party POIs. You can use POIViewer to edit and modify POIs. One of the great things about POIViewer is that it can be used with most of the SatNav apps on an iPhone (including the new TomTom GO Mobile).

I will reply to the "adding a POI group to the iPhone TomTom GO Mobile" on the TomTom forum. Please would everybody add their own posts to that thread to try and get them to add full third party POI support to the new TomTom GO Mobile app.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a TT thread which shows that a number of people are trying to get TT to do third party POI functionality. As it refers to the problem having existed for two years, I think that indicates the likelihood of success in any more campaigning!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: